Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Studio - sun (light source) orbiting an assembly.

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1570 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor Studio - sun (light source) orbiting an assembly.

Hello everybody,

as this is my first post, I'd like to introduce myself, I'm Grzegorz, 5th year student of Refrigeration and Cryogenics at Mechanical Department of Wroclaw University of Technology, Poland. I'm 3D modeling enthusiast and a self-learner, thus I love Inventor.

I'm currently working on a wind turbine and photovoltanic panels hybrid, all mounted on a pole. The goal is an animation of the turbine rotating and panels tracking the sun. That was quite challenging but I managed to make an animation of the movements. However the light source orbiting the pole is a wall that I keep hitting with my head now for a few days. Went through lots of tutorials and manuals but with no success. Found a light in a tunnel yesterday - a LookAt constraint in 3ds Max.

So my question is, whether it is possible to animate the orbiting sun in Inventor Studio or do I have to seek the solution in 3ds Max? Also tried Showcase, but the driven constraints woulnd't import properly so I gave up on that.

Any advices are more that welcome!

Cheers

pv blank.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Daniel248
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Grzegorz,

It is possible to animate the lights in Studio, but not the lighting that is used within the IBL environment - see attached.

If you create your own environment (using bitmaps & models of industrial buildings, structures, etc.) the lights (and shadows) could be animated in Inventor Studio.

Regards,

Danny

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Daniel248

Thanks for the light in the tunnel! 

Could you be so kind and give me some more instructions on that? The only light animation I can get is the on/off one.

EDIT: The Inventor file itself used for the video provided would be helpful for sure.

Message 4 of 7
blair

3dMax handles sunlight at different times of the day along with location (Long-Lat)

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

Yep, that's an awesome feature. However it would be easier to stay with Inventor as I'm new to 3ds Max and I'm having hard times reproducing the constraints of the model.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Daniel248

Ok, got the lights moving, but shadows won't animate at all :<

EDIT: Got it, thank you!

Message 7 of 7
Daniel248

File attached.

A few more steps:

- In Studio, Lighting Styles, create New Lighting Style;
- Give it a name (right-click, Rename);
- Delete lights 2 & 3 from within this new style (if you only need "sun shadows");
- Select your new lighting style;
- Shadows tab:Soft shadows, Quality:High;
- Double-click on the light 1 and drag the (Sphere of the light or axis) to where you wanted to START (sunrise);
- tick OK, save lighting style, done;
- Activate the animation timeline & click animate light1;
- Click Definition and drag the light to the END position (sunset);
- Set the other parameters in the AnimateLight dialogue (time, acceleration) as you need;
Animate and correct / modify your settings until you achieve the desired effect. (Remember to turn on shadows in the View tab)
The light animation can be run simultaneous with your other animations (parameter, constraint, fade, etc.)

Regards,

Danny

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report