Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Studio Camera Animation - Camera rolling on selected path!?

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
finnsteven
4381 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor Studio Camera Animation - Camera rolling on selected path!?

For some reason when using the path option in inventor studio for camera animation the camera rolls for no reason?? I have created two helical curve sketches around my product, the outer curve is the path for the camera and the inner curve is the path for the target. Both curves are the same height and have 1 revolution. When i play the camera it works out fine untill it hits 1/4 of the way through and suddenly flips 180 degrees so now the camera is upside down, once it hits 3/4 of the way it flips back again to the correct rotation. If i dont create an inner curve for the target and place the target directly in the centre of my product with no path to follow the camera spins all over the place when it follows the curve.

I have been spending hours on this now and cannot find a solution, can someone please help me as i have a deadline to meet soon

Cheers
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Bill_Bogan1
in reply to: finnsteven

Hi Steven,

I can't fix the problem, but I may have a work around.
Email me at bill.bogan@autodesk.com and I will send you a part file with a path in it that does not exhibit this behavior.

bill.bogan@autodesk.com

Bill Bogan
Principal Content Experience Designer
CXD
PDMS-DiD-Digital Manufacturing
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 3 of 15
richiesuk

so how can i avooid that camera flip ????

it is very unproductive.. cant make a proper fly thru without switching camera angle by 180....

i do not cross any axes either....

any workaround?

thanks for the help,

Richard

Message 4 of 15
vamolino

how many year/release's has the bug made the animate via path worthless?

why doesnt Autodesk put  something in the help files about having to biuld your model so that the y axis faces up in the center of both paths before people spend a 1000 hours biulding a project?

is it embarassment that animate path works in autocad perfectly?

so much for smooth camera transitions in my animation.

Wink Engineering/Valero energy

IV 2011
HP xw9400
Duo Core Opteron 2.8 x2
8 G reg server ram
Quadro FX 4500
Message 5 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: vamolino

@vamolino wrote:

how many year/release's....

Don't know if it woud address this problem, but I've been waiting for an Inventor equivalent of MDT augmented "line" (actually curve) since I started using Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 15
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: JDMather

I agree..  This would be my final request from the MDT days....
JDMather wrote:
Don't know if it woud address this problem, but I've been waiting for an Inventor equivalent of MDT augmented "line" (actually curve) since I started using Inventor.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 7 of 15
JDMather
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

@Dennis_Jeffrey wrote:
I agree..  This would be my final request from the MDT days....

We might be the only dinasours left who know (and how to use) a MDT augmented "line".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 8 of 15
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: JDMather

Or, how to blend two surfaces together with a patch... 🙂

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 9 of 15
MF6685

Problem is caused when you create a part or assembly with non native Inventor home coordinates.

Industry standard for ground plane for surveying is XY plane.

Inventor uses ZX as ground plane, which cause all sorts of problems when importing other CAD data.

I change my template to suit XY industry standard which cause annoying glitches with Inventor.

To solve the animation camera rolling problem..

1. Create a new assembly file dedicated to you animation.

2. Place the assembly in this file and orient the base of the part ie; ground level, with the assembly ZX per the coloured triad at the bottom of the screen.

The camera shouldn't roll any more during animations.

Other tips..

3. When creating the spline paths, create one than offset the original for better control.

4. If you want to change the zoom midway through an animation, create a new set of spline paths wit linked to the ends of the first set, change the zoom and time settings for the new paths.

5. It helps to create the static camera as close as possible to the animation camera before animating the static camera. Attach work planes to the spline paths to use a a focus point. When setting up the static camera, set 'link to view' to help validate and set the initial focus and roll angle correct from the start. I find inventor doesn't respond well to edits later on.

Message 10 of 15
bhahn2
in reply to: MF6685

This is so annoying on so many levels. And to see that it is tied to the STUPID STUPID default of ZX as a ground plane. XY is the ground plane in the real world of machining. Now I learn that so many of my problems stem from this DUMB decison of Autocad? Lame lame lame. Give the user the choice. Make it global. MAKE IT WORK RIGHT!

Message 11 of 15
ajcraig99
in reply to: bhahn2

how much longer is it going to take to fix this???

Is 4 years not enough!? ridiculous.
Message 12 of 15
lazy_bob
in reply to: ajcraig99

Folks,

I use Inventor 2015:

1.PNG

I experienced similar problems with rolling camera, on the beginning angle is set by me and it's correct. Along the movie camera is rolling out-of-control.

I thought that model is set up correctly, XY plane is base plane.

Short video with rolling camera:

http://www.filedropper.com/video11

Iso View.PNG

All comments how to block camera angle wil be much appriciated.

LB

Message 13 of 15
bill_bogan
in reply to: lazy_bob

Some questions:

• Is the camera path a spline? Just noticed the image... it is a spline.
  • Are you using a camera target path also?

If a spline, can you edit the individual interpolation points and rotate them?

Alternatively you could try using a camera target path. May sound dumb, but it might work. Alternatively, create the camera path with normal (not spline) curves.

The rationale: it may be that the spline the camera is following has it's normals rotating around it. Or, the camera itself has no idea of "up" and just goes off doing whatever 'feels good'.

Giving a target path (copy the first path and shift it so starting points are apart from one another) may tame the beast. Once upon a time there was a skill builder for Advanced Camera Animation that provided an example for this process. Skill builders are gone, but not forgotten it appears: http://www.scribd.com/doc/33254847/Autodesk-Inventor-Advanced-Camera-Animation (ignore the old UI)

When I get time, I'll try this as well to see if there are any other things that might help overcome the issue - in case the above doesn't work.

Message 14 of 15
himlerj
in reply to: bill_bogan

I have the same issue.  I've tried all of the suggestions, and the camera still rolls.  I agreed that this is ridiculous and annoying and when is Autodesk going to fix the issue.  In the meantime I cannot complete a critical project!

Message 15 of 15
MattH_Work
in reply to: himlerj

The camera seems to rolls when it gets to the half way point of the path, double the length of the camera path ( add a straight line to the end ) and then trim the resulting animation in half

MattH
Product Design Collection 2025
Vault Pro 2025

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report