Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Still unstable after all of these years!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
not2013
1421 Views, 17 Replies

Inventor Still unstable after all of these years!

Just in case anyone is thinking of buying inventor please take note that this software changes behaviors every 2-3 months whether you want it to or not.  So The way to did something in the beginning of the year may not work 3-6 months later. 

This is at least thew 50th serious issue I have discovered with inventor.

I now cannot get the drawing to update to the changes made to the 3D models that they represent.  So now when you change a 3D model the only way I can get the drawing to repersent the changes is to delete all views and then put them back in and re-dimension and create any time consumming sketches.  This will destroy businesses by making simple changes 20 times longer to complete then it should.  

Whom do you need to pay at autodesk to get a good version of there software? Carl Bass

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
simosv
in reply to: not2013

Hello 

This problem to any users i know including me... doesnt happen... 

i mean i didnt face it.

thanks. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has the desire to win, but only champions have the desire to prepare.

-Author Unknown-
Message 3 of 18
JDMather

@not2013 wrote:
This will destroy businesses by making simple changes 20 times longer to complete then it should.   

Where are you located - I can save your business.

If your boss does not think my fee is reasonable, then my services are free.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 18
CCarreiras

Hi!

My Drawings are Updating very well.

Can you post a example where it causes problems for you?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so, use the  Mark Solutions!  Accept as Solution or Give Kudos!Kudos - Thank you!

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 5 of 18
rhasell

Whinging again I see.

Contact your reseller for the following:

1 - TRAINING

2 - Correct installation of your software.

Contact your IT department to ensure that your Hardaware is working correctly, and is capable of running the software.

99% of your issues stem from the above.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 6 of 18
Pauli666

Please ignore this person! Does not want any help, loves to rant & get peoples backs up. Nothing constructive to add.

Inventor is a very good tool, with a very few shortcomings, when used by competent/trained users. This person is not one of those users.

Message 7 of 18
not2013

Whining or complaining is exactly what the 1st amendment is about.  The purpose is "to warm others of problems".  Like bad software or of fraud. This helps others to avoid the problem. It also can create a knowledge base for those whom created the problem so that they can fix it.

"Whinging again I see.

Contact your reseller for the following:

1 - TRAINING

2 - Correct installation of your software.

Contact your IT department to ensure that your Hardaware is working correctly, and is capable of running the software.

Our IT department will not install autodesk products anymore.  They say "Autodesk software and upgrades are always the most troublesome installs

they have to do.  Even Microsoft operation systems cause less trouble than autodesk products."    I will sign a sworn affidavit that this statement is true if anyone wishes to say it is not.  Our company now has 1 person to do all autodesk installs worldwide.  It took him 3 + days to install 2013 on 4 identical computers. The 1st install when well, the last 3 would not install in the same manner as the 1st.  They want nothing to do with this software either.

99% of your issues stem from the above."

How would you prove that in a court of law?

Message 8 of 18
mpatchus

@not2013 wrote:
 Our company now has 1 person to do all autodesk installs worldwide.  It took him 3 + days to install 2013 on 4 identical computers. The 1st install when well, the last 3 would not install in the same manner as the 1st.  They want nothing to do with this software either.

It would seem you need some more capable IT folks.  My team installed 2013 Inventor and upgraded Vault to 2013 on 200+ machines (not identical) in 5 different offices and it was completed over a weekend.  Only one machine required a second reimage due to a full hard drive. 
It is a relatively simple task with a well created deployment image.  But of course, it does take some intelligence to create a good deployment image.

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 9 of 18
CCarreiras

Court of law.... lololol

Now i'm seeing some instability in the software...Smiley Happy

Regards.
CCarreiras
Message 10 of 18
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi not2013,

Please take a moment to review the ground rules and understand that the aim of the Autodesk forums are to allow users to ask questions and/or provide answers about the software:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/FAQ-How-To-Using-Autodesk/Ground-Rules-Please-review-before-participat...

I thinks the forum moderators are very lenient about non-constructive posts, but if you feel that this is the place to vent frustration and exercise your right to speak freely in a way that is non-constructive about Autodesk or its software and services, I would encourage you to understand that these boards are privately owned by the Autodesk and as such they have no obligation to allow comments that are at odds with the ground rules.

There are many places on the internet that you can go to vent your frustration without bothering others, but the members of this forum try very hard to stay focused on solving issues and furthering the understanding of the software, and I think most would prefer to read about the details of your issue (what you've tried so far, screen shots, example files, etc.). Please keep in mind too, that this is primarily a peer to peer user group, with some (often voluntary) involvement from Autodesk staff, but everyone comes here with the expectation of receiving or providing help.

Everyone here is willing to help you resolve your issues, if you provide constructive details and information that can help us further understand the problem, but not many people are willing to get involved when there is a lack of details. Keep in mind too, that as many have already said in this thread, the results you are experiencing are not typical.

So I would encourage you to take another look at the issue and possibly create a new post with more detailed information, that will allow others to disect the issue and provide some help troubleshooting the cause of the issues that prevent you from being able to get the results you expect.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 11 of 18
jletcher

Or you could go vote for this to try to get them to understand.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Don-t-add-anything/idi-p/3685008

Not all issues are user based like some have said on your post.

And just so all know if I am shoping for software the 1st place I go is to their forums so I can see the issues people have with the software.

So to me venting on forums is a good thing as long as people respect the poster and not call him names like a 10 year old on the playground. Then it can get ugly..

Best of luck to you..

Wait till you see the next mess coming out.. UGH

Message 13 of 18
simosv
in reply to: CCarreiras

HOW TO PUT THIS hmmm...

TOTALLY AGREEEEE LOLLLL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has the desire to win, but only champions have the desire to prepare.

-Author Unknown-
Message 14 of 18
autocad1RY3QB
in reply to: rhasell

You are telling not true. Inventor hangs 4-5 times a day my cad computer, to this grade, that the only solution is to power off restart.  Every time I'm doing something with this bad software, I can expect need to redraw everything. Bad design, bad realisation, not worth money and time. Help on web not worth anything. To do something with this bad tool I need to predict how to fight its "intelligent functions" This program will always react just opposite than you are thinking.  But Autodesk cant spell "coordinate" system. So you can't do much. I've lost 1 year and a lot of money for this **** software.

Newer bay it. Now I'm looking for better solution.

Message 15 of 18

Hi Janusz,

Based on your comments, it sounds like you are encountering a lot of problems in Inventor. Certainly, Inventor is not bug-free. But, it should not hang in any workflow. Something is wrong. It can be bugs or there could be hardware issues or environmental issues. We need to understand where the problems are. Please help me answer the following questions.

1. What Inventor release are you on?

2. What Windows version are you running?

3. Has the graphics driver been updated? All critical Windows updates installed? All related Inventor updates installed?

4. What particular operation causes the hang? Are you able to reproduce it?

Your user name indicates you are using AutoCAD. Are you still using AutoCAD? What kind of design you are doing in Inventor? AutoCAD is the best 2D drafting tool on the market for 35 years. No other packages come close. Inventor is 3D feature-based parametric solid modeler, specializing in true-scale high-precision 3D modeling for manufacturing. It can create drawing views associative to the model. The model can range from single part like a bolt to a 50K-component machine.

If AutoCAD works better for your purpose, you should use AutoCAD. You should not be using a tool not fitting your need causing you trouble and reducing your productivity. If you can help me understand your issues better, we should be able to find solutions for you. We want to help you succeed.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 16 of 18

I've been writing response to you (some 20 min), but when I tried to post it I've got message - something about ticket and this post just vanished.

Sorry, nothing is working for me - even this forum.... 😞

Message 17 of 18

Hi, now I put first text into the notepad++ not to loose it again on this forum site. I'm not a journalist so it takes time for me to write.

I run Inventor 2017 on i7-3600, 16 GByte, GeForce GX-980 on Win7 Ultimate 64. The drivers are up to day.

Mostly it crashes in a "normal" way 2-3 times a day - the message from Autodesk appears and sometimes I send feedback on it.
Other 2-3 times a day crashes are more serious- so I need to restart PC by power-on switch. For 3 days ago - just 5 times during my work pass.

Mostly it is when putting new constrains and when moving object. But not only.

The second big problem is angular constrain.

1. In limits - 0 and 180 are difficult for Inventor. It easy happens - it just jumps to the other half circle. Something like the real 360 degree haven't been implemented in this software.
2. Resting position - mostly not working, if limits are set to 0-180 it can flip between "angle" and "360-angle".
The limits in general are not working good when other joint or constraint is driven.
3. In assembly with flexible sub-assemblies: the device and its parts moves in correct way when driven by mouse, when movement is constrained by angular constrain to a plane or axis, it will crash: sometimes directly when putting constraint sometimes when driving it to different values.

In my example (sorry no sound - no mic in my desktop): I have assembly of 5 flexible sub-assemblies and all constrains are working when moving part from horizontal to the vertical position.
When I put angular constrain between horizontal plane normal and the edge (or surface) of moving part, it will crash just reaching 20 degrees (in this example - it can be different value, sometimes random if I put this constrain in a different way) and complains about "undefined" geometry.
Which is not true - the geometry is defined - I could move device with mouse.

Everywhere in In Inventors constrain world I see, that behavior is usually different when parts are operated by mouse and when driven or modified.
I can't understand why - the whole thing should be calculated by the same math in both cases!

Sorry I've been irritated but I'm fighting with this tool now 5 months and have lost most of my design time on Inventor bugs. I'm experienced with other 3D tools so I'm not thinking "flat".

What makes me most unhappy - that I'm finding posts as old as 10 or more years describing similar problems and still these problems are not sorted out.

So tell me : is there any "magic" trick to make angular constrains work and be driven? Is there any better information about it than on your help site and these couple of rudimentary Youtube lessons and examples?
Is there any trouble shooting manual for angular constrain?

I'm not telling about stability, just must remember to save my work every 5 minute like in old days...

I have much more problems with this tool but I don't want to put everything in one cup. Angular constrain is my priority: I really need it working to finish this project and go on.

Message 18 of 18

Hi Janusz,

Many thanks for recording the video and elaborating the issue! Yes, we do have some issues in assembly constraints, flexible assembly, and PosRep. If these were easy problems to solve, they would not have existed in the first place.

The first thing I notice is that your assembly does not have a grounded component. Please at least ground a component that should not move. It will help stablize constraint solve tremendously, though it may not solve all problems you are seeing.

Regarding the crashes, please send me an email (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) so I can look up the reports and understand the crashes better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report