Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor License

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
s_hiebert
377 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor License

Currently we have 15 user licenses for Inventor 2008 (managed by License Manager).  We would like to get to Inventor 2012.  Our current server for License Manager is running, and I'm wondering if we can have a second license server for 2012 version, since we want to migrate the License server to a new server anyway.

Can we have both running (ie. users can use the 2008 version as well as the 2012 version)?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mflayler2
in reply to: s_hiebert

There really isn't a problem with this as long as the 2008 licenses are not being upgraded to 2012.  At that point it would illegal to be using the 2008 licenses.  Being on subscription allows you to work only 3 versions back as well if any of those licenses are on sub.  Check with your VAR or PSO you work with on what options you have, you will get a much clearer picture than the forum guessing your licensing agreements.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Mark Flayler - Engagement Engineer

IMAGINiT Manufacturing Solutions Blog: https://resources.imaginit.com/manufacturing-solutions-blog

Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: mflayler2

And don't forget Inventor is not backward compatible.. So anything done on 2012 could not be used natively by 2008 users.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5
s_hiebert
in reply to: mcgyvr

My ultimate goal is to have all our users on 2012 Inventor (Network install - on a new server) using a 2012 Vault (where currently we are on 2008 (old server).  We are on subscription....

There does not seem to be a straight forward way of staging this....it seems like I have to do everything all at once and hope it works after..

I thought I could use the new server by installing an additional License Mgr (with 2012 licenses) and run it in parallel with the old server.

Then users could test out Inventor 2012 while still be alble to use 2008 with the vault.

Then, I would have to migrate the vault somehow to the new server, and shut down the old server.

Message 5 of 5
TravisNave
in reply to: s_hiebert

Though you could technically do this, if you upgraded your 2008 to 2012 and you ran both, it would violate the license agreement.  I would recommend you get it all set up and installed, then migrate all at once. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report