Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Drawings Survey

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
jim.clauss
3265 Views, 22 Replies

Inventor Drawings Survey

The Inventor team has developed a survey to help us in planning for future releases regarding documentation / drawings.

We would love to hear from you!  The survey may be accessed at the following URL:

http://tinyurl.com/InventorDrawingSurvey

Best regards,
Jim Clauss

Software Architect - Inventor

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
gsmith9810
in reply to: jim.clauss

Hi Jim,

At our site, our engineers typically rely on contract drafters, so while they may occasionally dabble with drawings (and might have opinions) your survey isn't tailored to somebody unable (or unwilling) to answerALL of the questions or who has no opinion on some of them.

Just a thought...

Gary (come down and visit us, we're only in Wilsonville)

-------------------------------------------------------
Gary Smith
Inventor Product Design Suite 2013sp2
Windows 7sp1 64-bit
nVidia Quadro 2000
Message 3 of 23
Cadmanto

All done.  I have to ask.  Did this survey have anything to do with the ideas in the ideas station?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 23
timdown73

Glad to fill this out. Thanks for putting it out there and listening to users. If possible please inform us of the results. -Thanks.
-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
Message 5 of 23
SMPConsulting

I completed the survey. It's great to see Autodesk is looking into this area of Inventor. I am very committed to providing my clients with quality drawings and as someone that has been in the drafting profession for over 20 years I can honestly say Inventor makes me a better drafter when I compare the types of illustration tools available in Inventor to those available in 2D AutoCAD.

Anthony Paul
www.smpconsulting.com.au
An Inventor user since IV6 2002, and a 3D AutoCad user since R9 1989

i7 7770 @ 3.6GHz – 4.2, GB H110M M.2 Mainboard, 2 x 8 GB DDR4 RAM
250 GB SSD 960 Evo Series SSD, 700 W 80+ ATX Power Supply, Win 10 Home 64 Bit
Message 6 of 23
Mark_Wigan

hi Jim,

i have started the survey but not sure if i have 20 to 25 mins though to finish it. also as noted above some users have spent many hours on ideas station & other inventor forumns submitting ideas. hopefully they & other user submissions are observerd as part of this research, eg votes on the wish list etc.

also perhaps you need to provide us a chance to opt out of some survey  questions, especially long ones so we can submit only what we wish to, or have time to, otherwise you miss out on the entire survey, or a rushed one.

thanks.

best regards,
- Mark

(Kudo or Tag if helpful - in case it also helps others)

PDSU 2020 Windows 10, 64bit.

Message 7 of 23
dexterdweller

Done deal,

I appreciate the opportunity to give input.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 8 of 23
ic198

Done. I did find myself copying links to ideas in the Ideastation into several of the comments boxes...

Message 9 of 23

Thank you for allowing your clientele to be involved in some capacity with the enhancement process. 

P.S. I saw the following on Page No.3 when I took the survey:

• "AutoCAD has certain tools I need that Inventor does not’t have" 

"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Message 10 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: clara_csdrafting

If it ain't about ditching drawings in favor of 3d PMI then I don't care 

drawings are sooo old school and don't deserve a single second being spent on improvements 🙂

yep I just started the survey then said this is a waste of my time.. Die 2D..Die already.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 11 of 23
ic198
in reply to: mcgyvr

When you can convert all the builders and suppliers I have to work with to your way of thinking, I will happily agree with you. Until then, Autodesk please put some serious time and effort into improving the drawings environment and output...

Message 12 of 23
mrattray

Yeah... let's file that next to the "paperless office"...
Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 13 of 23
timdown73

If Siemens PLM is leading the way on PMI, what is AutoDesks answer/equivalent to this software?

-Tim U.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz>Memory: 32.0 GB Ram
Op Sys: Windows 10 professional
Message 14 of 23
Logos_Atum

Glad if I can help,

I had the impression some questions might have been taken from the idea station too.

Which is great 🙂

Kind regards

Daniel 

Dogs aren´t flammable.
Message 15 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: timdown73

@timdown73 wrote:

If Siemens PLM is leading the way on PMI, what is AutoDesks answer/equivalent to this software?

Autodesk had what they called "3DA" or 3d annotation that was released as a "labs" project or something a few years ago.. It was a decent step in the right direction then it was dropped or vanished or something. I really expected it would be part of Inventor in some form or another by now..but its not..sadly..

PMI is the future for me. ASME Y14.41-2003 and revised in 2012..has been out for years now.

I rarely do 2d drawings anymore and can't remember when I full detailed one..

All of our outside vendors are getting/using step files for machine programming and a VERY basic 2d drawing that really only shows outside dimensions and basically just enough to quote a part and to show notes on finish requirements,etc... but there is no where near enough dimensions to even come close to using it by itself to produce a part.. Its just a waste of my time since they use the step file so heavily.. The ONLY reason I still do 2d is beacuse 3DA/PMI is not part of Inventor at this time. If I could put notes/dimensions/tolerances,etc.. in the 3d file and send it off to the vendor in a step file or similar they and I would be MUCH happier. 

We found out it cost us so much more money to train "assembly staff" to properly read and understand 2d drawings. We have switched to a software based program that uses snapshots taken directly from Inventor of the 3d models to create a "shop aid"/assembly sequence documentation. People can EASILY understand part orientation/placement,etc.. when presented with a 2D image of a 3d model vs a 2d line drawing.. We tried "shaded" isometric type views in drawings and that was better but the lack of lighting controls in the IDW stopped that fairly quickly.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 16 of 23
Curtis_Waguespack

@mcgyvr wrote:

Hi mcgyvr,

Your product, company, or industry might lend itself to not needing a 2D deliverable, but I think many (most) are not so lucky. 2D deliverable drawings and 3D Annotation (aka PMI) should be thought of as two ways of doing much the same thing, but I don't think there is a need to choose one or the other. 2D drawings are still very much a valid part of the engineering and design world, and very likely always will be. But there is certainly room for PMI tools in many industries at this point.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 17 of 23
jeanchile

@mcgyvr wrote:

.. Die 2D..Die already.. 

I have to admit that I am fairly ignorant about 3D annotation... I am wondering how it would work for the guys that build for me.

photo 2.JPG

I am assuming they would need some type of huge tablet computer to work from (not going to happen in this environment)?

I think I'm going to be stuck with 2D output for the rest of my career. Smiley Sad

Inventor Professional
Message 18 of 23
mrattray
in reply to: jeanchile

@jeanchile wrote:
I am wondering how it would work for the guys that build for me.

Exactly.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 19 of 23
mcgyvr
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

@Curtis_Waguespack wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

Hi mcgyvr,

Your product, company, or industry might lend itself to not needing a 2D deliverable, but I think many (most) are not so lucky. 2D deliverable drawings and 3D Annotation (aka PMI) should be thought of as two ways of doing much the same thing, but I don't think there is a need to choose one or the other. 2D drawings are still very much a valid part of the engineering and design world, and very likely always will be. But there is certainly room for PMI tools in many industries at this point.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

I didn't mean to imply that 2d drawings should go away for everyone.. But they could..Smiley Tongue

I just want PMI/3DA to start showing its head.. as personally 99% of what I do could be done without 2d drawings and as long as Autodesk doesn't do something stupid like forcing their own viewer for the data it would be simple to get our vendors and everyone else up to speed. 

I was shown a demo for Solidworks (actually inspection xpert for Inventor/Solidworks) and he only had SWX on his computer and it had this PMI functionality already.. (that was at least 4-5 years ago)

Message 20 of 23
jeanchile

@mcgyvr wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that 2d drawings should go away for everyone.. But they could..Smiley Tongue

Okay, this forum seriously needs a "Disengage/Engage Sarcasm" button because I didn't intend to imply that I didn't believe it could happen. I am, in all seriousness, looking into how  one would start moving their industry in this direction. The least enjoyable part of my day is when I have to create drawings of what I'm trying to do and the sooner I can jettison that garbage I will.

So, that being said, mcgyvr in your experience is this something that would lend itself to a large, custom metal fabrication situation where everything that is built is completely new, completely custom, and never fabricated again once complete? If so, where would I start my research on this, would it be the ANSI/ASME code you referenced above? Any other places I can start poking around?

I am saying though, that if it requires a large, dirty, dangerous, fabrication shop filled with a lot of, shall we say, less educated individuals to start using large surface/tablet computers instead of paper prints.... I'm in for the looooooong haul.

Inventor Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report