Inventor General

Message 1 of 4 (156 Views)

Inventor Default Content Center Files Path

156 Views, 3 Replies
11-25-2013 05:57 AM
Hello, I work for a School District an am working on a PLTW image that includes Inventor. We had an issue with our original image and had to rebuild it. Now we are running into an issue with setting the Default Content Center Files path. In our profile (DefProf) we use to create the Default profile the path is set to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Inventor\Content Center Files\R2013". However, when we use this to create the Default Windows Profile and log in as a user (Test01) the path changes to "C:\Users\DefProf\Documents\Inventory\Content Center Files\R2013". We did not have this problem on the other image. Any suggestions?
Valued Mentor
mpatchus
Message 2 of 4 (146 Views)

Re: Inventor Default Content Center Files Path

11-25-2013 06:36 AM in reply to: jbroseberry

The path for your CC files should really be controlled by your project file (under FOLDER OPTIONS).

Mike Patchus

Inventor 2012 SP3 ~ Vault Pro 2013
==================
Lenovo D20 Workstation Intel Xenon E5640@2.67GHz (2)
Win 7, 24gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3800

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. :smileyhappy:
*Expert Elite*
Message 3 of 4 (131 Views)

11-25-2013 10:53 AM in reply to: jbroseberry

Hi and welcome to the forum!

This is definitely strange behavior, and not what I would expect.  But, it's not necessarily a bad thing becuase this way, it will be looking in the same path for content center files, no matter which user is logged in.

I have found that the default behavior (%USERPROFILE% in the default path) is undesirable.  Common library parts (including content center parts) should be used by everyone, so having them in different folders depending on the user profile can just cause user confusion and file resolution problems (for example, if User B opens an assembly created by User A).

Our organization uses Vault, so it's especially important that our content center maps to a common folder.  But even before we had vault, I made a point of going to each user workstation and setting their default CC path to match all other users.

As Mike mentioned, you can control this in the project file.  But that only works if your users never create new projects, or they know to set the CC path for each project they create.  I find it's better (although not necessarily easier) to set the default in application options for each installation.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 4 of 4 (121 Views)

11-25-2013 11:15 AM in reply to: cwhetten
The image is being deployed to abut 30 student computers and the %userprofile% path worked fine in the other image we just had other Windows based issues (printers constantly showing offline, IE downloads not initializing). I plan on putting more research into how this should be setup so our efforts can be much better for next year. Due to time constraints I had to put the content center on the image and would rather it be on a separate server. For now I have just chosen to use the Public Documents folder (%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%).

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube