Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Default Content Center Files Path

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jbroseberry
1221 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor Default Content Center Files Path

Hello, I work for a School District an am working on a PLTW image that includes Inventor. We had an issue with our original image and had to rebuild it. Now we are running into an issue with setting the Default Content Center Files path. In our profile (DefProf) we use to create the Default profile the path is set to "%USERPROFILE%\Documents\Inventor\Content Center Files\R2013". However, when we use this to create the Default Windows Profile and log in as a user (Test01) the path changes to "C:\Users\DefProf\Documents\Inventory\Content Center Files\R2013". We did not have this problem on the other image. Any suggestions?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
mpatchus
in reply to: jbroseberry

The path for your CC files should really be controlled by your project file (under FOLDER OPTIONS).

Mike Patchus - Lancaster SC

Inventor 2025 Beta

Alienware m17, Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-10980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz 3.10 GHz, Win 11, 64gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below. 🙂
Message 3 of 4
cwhetten
in reply to: jbroseberry

Hi and welcome to the forum!

This is definitely strange behavior, and not what I would expect.  But, it's not necessarily a bad thing becuase this way, it will be looking in the same path for content center files, no matter which user is logged in.

I have found that the default behavior (%USERPROFILE% in the default path) is undesirable.  Common library parts (including content center parts) should be used by everyone, so having them in different folders depending on the user profile can just cause user confusion and file resolution problems (for example, if User B opens an assembly created by User A).

Our organization uses Vault, so it's especially important that our content center maps to a common folder.  But even before we had vault, I made a point of going to each user workstation and setting their default CC path to match all other users.

As Mike mentioned, you can control this in the project file.  But that only works if your users never create new projects, or they know to set the CC path for each project they create.  I find it's better (although not necessarily easier) to set the default in application options for each installation.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2014

Message 4 of 4
jbroseberry
in reply to: cwhetten

The image is being deployed to abut 30 student computers and the %userprofile% path worked fine in the other image we just had other Windows based issues (printers constantly showing offline, IE downloads not initializing). I plan on putting more research into how this should be setup so our efforts can be much better for next year. Due to time constraints I had to put the content center on the image and would rather it be on a separate server. For now I have just chosen to use the Public Documents folder (%PUBLICDOCUMENTS%).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report