Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Complexity

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ghmail16
536 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor Complexity

3D designing is a very important tool for a mechanical since it allows him to get a very good idea of the object that he creates. But in the end when you design a 3D part you must create 2D designs in order to manufacture it. When I make 2D files with inventor even though I get automaticaly the views that I want these views are very complex because they are so many lines. For example in Autocad Gears can be represented with couple of circles but in Inventor you see all the features the fillets the thooth radius lines. One other example is a simple I beam where you see the start and the end of radius when in Autocad you just see the flange lines. These details in a dig structure design are unreadable and their presence just make it difficult to read the 2D Drawing.

What can I do in order to get more simple an readable 2D general designs and show the details in structural designs.

Thanks!

Robot Happy

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
waynehelley
in reply to: ghmail16

For gears, within your drawing you could turn the visablity of the gears off (using the browser on the left hand side) and replace them with sketch symbols which you can create yourself.

Let me know if you want me to describe this in a bit more detail.

Wayne

Wayne Helley
Inventor 2013 Certified Professional

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2023
Visual Studio 2022
Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit
Message 3 of 6
JDMather

The same views can be created in Inventor that are created in AutoCAD.

Attach real files of each to see how.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
karthur1

@ghmail16 wrote:

... One other example is a simple I beam where you see the start and the end of radius when in Autocad you just see the flange lines. These details in a big structure design are unreadable and their presence just make it difficult to read the 2D Drawing...

Robot Happy

We have the same issue and when we first started using Inventor and showing the radius lines, it confused the shop and they complained about it.  Other than turning the visibility off in the idw, I dont know of a way to simplify it.  That is too time consuming for us to do, so we have learned to live with it.

Message 5 of 6
FireBallFab

Double click on the view in question which opens the display view, navigate to the third tab "display options". There is a check box on the left "tangent edges". Click or in lick to suit - maybe this will help?
Message 6 of 6
karthur1

This is the one that we got the most complaints from.  Technically, the view is correct, but the guys in the shop have been used to not seeing the extra line.  It confused them at first, but once we explained what they were seeing, they were good with it.

The iso view has the tangent edges on, but the other two do not have the tangent edges selected.

Inventor_angle.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report