Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor CRASH when CHECKIN to Vault and create .DWF file

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
lhoang
4036 Views, 33 Replies

Inventor CRASH when CHECKIN to Vault and create .DWF file

When I try to Check files into Vault from Inventor 2011 and I have, under settings, Create visualization attachment checked, Inventor locks up.  Only (1) of (4) machines with this problem.  Same machine is using Vista, everyone else is using XP.

Seems to hang up the most when i try to check the .idw.  Locks up 50% of the time.   Tends to upload parts and assemblies o.k. then hangs up on the .idw.  Any suggestions?

Windows Vista business 32 bit, SP2

Intel Xeon 5150 @ 2.66 ghz

4 GB Ram

Inventor Suite 2011, SP1 Beta

33 REPLIES 33
Message 21 of 34
KEverts
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

I don't know about your case but it has happened to me on single part / single sheet exports. The DWF export crashes as soon as it appears on the progress bar in Inventor. I personally think something is crashing it before it even gets into the creation. At least it appears that way in my case.

The funny thing is that I can turn around and export a very complex drawing just fine.

FYI... Autodesk has examined several of our files and have found no issues. I still sit on it being something to do with the user account. To test my theory simply log off and log back on under a different account and see if the same file goes through or not.

Message 22 of 34
jimchest
in reply to: KEverts

You have to expect this from Autodesk.  They will NEVER supply a SOLUTION, just a work around.  Although the VAR will stop by and bring you donuts to make you feel better

Message 23 of 34
lhoang

YOU GET DONUTS?????  I've never even seen my VAR!

Message 24 of 34
slalwani

I actually found out what the reason behind the lag and crash was.

While checking in a file, i would recommend to check in your assembly and drawing file VIA checking in the Drawing file and it attaches the assembly and all related components.

Here is the catch: We like to have a visualisation from Vault so we can print our drawings, so when checking in, under Settings, click to activate "Apply Visualisation" so you can preview it from Vault and print right from there if needed. MAKE SURE you DO NOT click on "Apply on all Files". Doing so will have Inventor create a visualization file on the assembly. Inventor takes a whole lot of time in applying a visualisation file for an actual Assembly file. DWG file is good.

Hope that helps.

Summit

Message 25 of 34
matthew
in reply to: lhoang

Has anyone found a better workaround?

I'm having trouble everytime I check in an .idw (it pulls the .ipt at the same time) to vault from Inventor. [2 files at a time]

Our .idw's are very simple -- we're a pipe fitting manufacturer. One sheet, simple views of flanges and reducers. Complexity can't be the problem.

I have about 250ea of the 5 different products we produce to check-in. Needless to say, this is making it very complex.

We need to generate DWFs upon checkin to facilitate the web-client for internal use.

Help ticket to Autodesk sent -- no help yet.

Win 7 Pro, Dell T3500, x64

Intel Xeon W3530 @ 2.8 GHz

4 GB ram

Inventor/ Vault Pro 2011

Message 26 of 34
NealOzier3215
in reply to: matthew

I am having the exact same problem as the last post.  Wondering if anyone has found a solution to the issue yet?  Please Help!

Message 27 of 34
andrewiv
in reply to: NealOzier3215

Can anyone shed light on this yet?

Andrew In’t Veld
CAD Administrator

Message 28 of 34
comitoc

I guess there isn't a solution. I love Inventor but the lack of support makes me wish I used something else (Solid Works perhaps). Either way, Autodesk is no help and most of the support I find is from other users and forums.

Message 29 of 34
LOONYLEN
in reply to: dave.anderson

I am having this issue now as well. I'm having this issue with the same file that has worked in the past.

I have checked this file in and out of Vault at least thirty times. It definitely has something to do with the .dwf publisher.

All of the sudden it is corrupt? Can anyone from Autodesk comment on this? My file is an iPart that has 384 members, but like I said, no problems in the past until now. Out of nowhere? Please help.

Senior Designer/Cad Administrator
Inventor 2012, w/SP2
Vault Collaboration 2012
Dell Precision T3500, Intel Xeon CPU
W3680 @3.33GHz, 16.0 GB of RAM
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro, 64 Bit Edition
Version 2009, w/SP1
Message 30 of 34
lhoang

I am sorry for everyone who has to deal with this. I see it is rather common from the activity I still receive from this post. Since this issue, I have upgraded all of our machines to 64 bit with at least 8gb of ram, Excellent NVIDIA graphics cards, quad core processors and we are not on Inventor 2013. I no long have the issue.

I guess my point is that I never figured out how to fix it. We've identified it was during the .DWF creation, but so much has changed since then that I couldn't tell you what event eliminated the problem. If I recall, going to the next version of Inventor stopped the problem, but it could be hardware upgrades to. You may not have that luxury. Sorry and good luck. Hopefully someone will figure this out.

Message 31 of 34
sebgonz

This is the exact issue I'm currently having. All part and assembly files check in, but dwg files will hang and never make it to Vault. Any solution would be appreciated. Autodesk Support, I'm looking at you.
My PC Config:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
Dual AMD Radeon HD 6450

Running Product Design Suite 2014
Message 32 of 34
Lancasterm
in reply to: sebgonz

Not sure of your version of vault/inventor... However for 2013, there is a hot fix for the vault add-in for Inventor.   Something you might want to look at it.

We check in large Inventor (2013) models/complex drawings in Vault (2013) and never had this problem as described.   I would also recommend that your vault admin review (double check) the publishing options with your vault.  I would also check your vault timeout settings as well...   In most cases, the settings provided at the time of installation for timeout should be bumped out.

Are you running Microsoft SQL Express or full version of SQL?   If SQL Express how many users are accessing the server?

Another thing is...   When was the last time you emptied your temp files that Inventor (and AutoCAD) creates in your C:\Users\<user name> section of the operating system?

Meaning there are a few things to look at that might be causing this problem?

Hope this helps....

Message 33 of 34

I'm posting to confirm that creating a new windows log-in works.

I had this problem for a very long time, and it got to the point where even 1-page IDWs could take four or five attempts before getting checked in successfully.  More than 2 pages was hopeless, but once in a while it would work.  Once a 15-page drawing checked successfully on the first try.

I had the problem on multiple computers, multiple versions of Inventor/Vault, at multiple offices, on multiple ISPs... the only constant was me.  As suggested in the post, I finally had IT create me a new windows log-in, and immediately (after setting the preferences, of course) I'm able to check in 5+ page IDWs without problem.

I don't know if there's a real fix for this, but the log-in trick is a working workaround.

Message 34 of 34
sebgonz
in reply to: Lancasterm

Sorry! I should have updated this post also. I found a solution to my problem. I've posted it here. http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/Inventor-2014-DWG-will-not-Check-In-to-Vault/td-p/394...

My PC Config:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
Dual AMD Radeon HD 6450

Running Product Design Suite 2014

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report