Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor CRASH when CHECKIN to Vault and create .DWF file

33 REPLIES 33
Message 1 of 34
lhoang
4039 Views, 33 Replies

Inventor CRASH when CHECKIN to Vault and create .DWF file

When I try to Check files into Vault from Inventor 2011 and I have, under settings, Create visualization attachment checked, Inventor locks up.  Only (1) of (4) machines with this problem.  Same machine is using Vista, everyone else is using XP.

Seems to hang up the most when i try to check the .idw.  Locks up 50% of the time.   Tends to upload parts and assemblies o.k. then hangs up on the .idw.  Any suggestions?

Windows Vista business 32 bit, SP2

Intel Xeon 5150 @ 2.66 ghz

4 GB Ram

Inventor Suite 2011, SP1 Beta

33 REPLIES 33
Message 2 of 34
dave.anderson
in reply to: lhoang

If you were to disable the automatic DWF generation on Check-In, does it work?

If so, can you publish the DWF from Inventor separate from the Vault Check-In process? If you can't then it help to explain why it crashes when attempting to do it with Vault.

How many sheets are in your Inventor drawing & what options are you using to publish?

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 34
lhoang

Check in works O.K. if I disable the .dwf publisher.

No, I cannot publish seperate from vault check in.  Inventor freezes up regardless.

If I try to save as, and use all the default settings, Inventor freezes.  I haven't tried to change any of these default settings.

This seems to be an issue with any amount of pages/file sizes.

Message 4 of 34
lhoang

update.  Sorry, actually trying it again, smaller files work.  1 to 5 pages in my .idw seems to go through most of the time.

Message 5 of 34
dave.anderson

We've seen instances where larger sheet counts can be problematic, and not only from a DWF perspective. I try and use 10 as a rule of thumb. In most cases that number or less seems to be fine, but the complexity of the views is also a factor. Once you approach 10, may want to consider using a new idw/dwg file for the additional sheets.

Dave Anderson
Sr. Support Engineer– CAM
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 34
KEverts
in reply to: dave.anderson

I am having the same issue. Running Windows 7 64bit.

I can't believe the only solution is to split up the .DWG file. We are moving from AutoCAD 3D and create DWF's on files that have 20 to 30 layouts without a problem from cad.

Also.. I have a certain assembly that has 12 variations except for length. Same amount of sheets on all. I can export to DWF fine on some and then all of a sudden Inventor gets tempermental and desides it wants to hang up on one. If I get persistant and keep trying I can normally win the battle. However, this can take sometimes 20-30 minutes to just get my DWF file exported. I really don't think the complexity or the amount of sheets is the issue.

Never seen the issue when I was running XP. I don't remember having this issue until moving to Win 7.

Message 7 of 34
lhoang

XP seems to be fine for us, Vista is giving us issues.  I don't know if it is a memory issue and Vista is taking up more memory?  that is my thought.

Message 8 of 34
KEverts

I don't think it's a memory issue at all. It's getting terrible. I can't even export a 4 page drawing at times. Inventor is an awesome program in my book but then it lacks in such a simple area. I can open the DWG with AutoCAD and it doesn't have a problem creating the DWF/DWFx.

Our plans are to roll-out Inventor in early October and I have no clue how I'm going to share drawings throughout our companies. It bombs on PDF's and DWF's. I'd love to know how many people are having this issue because of it's just a couple of us...maybe it's something we're doing or some simple setting somewhere.

Message 9 of 34
dominiekvanwest
in reply to: KEverts

Hi,

I have the exact same problem, but with Inventor and Vault 2010.

When I try to check in some .idw files (with dwf attachment) it sometimes crashes, and it are absolutely not big files (+-400kB, 2 views of small assemblies, parts).

I made a program that creates and checks in parts/assemblies, but this can take sometimes up to 30min, so when it crashes, I have to start over again (or disable the checkin and manually check in all the files). I have already lost a lot of hours because of this.

Is there a solution yet?

Thanks in advance!

Dominiek

Message 10 of 34
lhoang

Unfortunately I haven't found a solution.  I have noticed that checking in and creating the dwf consumes a ton of memory as opposed to not creating the dwf.  I also noticed that Vista users experience more problems than XP.  The only thing I have been able to do is NOT create the dwf when checking in.  It is frustrating because even old projects created 1 or 2 versions ago would check in very quickly, but now...Yeah....good luck.  Like you said, even things not complicated seem too much for Inventor.  Of course it Must be our hardware as Autodesk's default response for everything. 

It is a running joke around here that, "Oh, must be your mouse driver" as I was told once by an Autodesk representative....really???? LOL! 

Message 11 of 34
Dennis_Jeffrey

Please list your full system specs as indicated here: http://teknigroup.com/support/Inventor/Howto.html

That being stated, I only have one system on Vista, and I have no CAD product on it. I waited til Win 7.

Generally ( and since Mechanical Desktop) It is good general practice to NOT put everything in one drawing file.

1. Parts should be detailed in a one part IDW.

2. Subassemblies should be detailed in a one assy IDW.

3. Top level assemblies shoult be detailed in a one assy IDW.

This workflow might just restore stability and sanity in designs.

It's time to drop the old drawing board and AutoCAD workflows..... in any 3D modeler, not just Inventor. This is a new decade for change. Change is painful,no one likes to do it, but necessary for survival as a company..... any company.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 12 of 34

I have:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5482 @ 3.20GHz

32,0 GB

Windows Vista Business (64-bit) Service Pack 2

Inventor 2010

NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700

Message 13 of 34
lhoang
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

specs have already been stated in previous post, but probably not the way your howto document says.

I would call this a work around for something I would expect Inventor to be able to handle.  What happened between 2009 and 2011 that all of a sudden a 5MB file is too large to check in?  Agreed, 70-100 prints is a lot in one file.  It wasn't an issue one version ago...and even less of an issue 2 versions ago for us.  Furthermore, what I'm hearing you tell me is to basically reduce my file sizes by Not putting everything in one file. At what point do all the part files become to large and then I have to break that down even further?

Don't really need schooling on change here.  I'm all for change, but it should be change for the better, not to accomodate for poor performance.

Well, my Inventor just crashed while adding dimensions to an .idw.  I should have restarted before my memory used meter reached the upper half of "yellow".  Or maybe I should quite putting so many dimensions on my print.

Message 14 of 34
Dennis_Jeffrey

I*'ll bet dinner that it's your FX1700 card.   It has 512 MB Ram, right?

Also what Nvidia driver version are you using?

Hopefully someone else can chime in here. It's back to work for me.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 15 of 34
KEverts
in reply to: Dennis_Jeffrey

I had the same issue as stated but I tend to disagree with many of the things being said here.

1) I don't think it's a memory problem nore do I think it's a file size issue. When I was having this problem I would see it hang on a simple drawing file that had just one part file with very little detail. Then immediately see a flawless check-in on a 43 page drawing. It was just temperamental. Let's quit picking on memory. I think many folks buy high amounts of memory when they don't require it. Keep in mind that anytime Inventor or AutoCAD hangs it's going to continue to eat up memory until it throws a low memory or you kill it. It's in it's nature I guess. It doesn't necessarily mean you need more memory.

2) Yes its a new age. In this age we should be able to handle large file sizes. I am currently checking drawing files in and out on a daily basis that are up in the range of 100 sheets and more with no problems. I've seen some say to keep it under 10 sheets and this just sounds crazy to me. I personally don't want to split my drawing files up to accommodate the software I want my software to accommodate me and allow me to work as efficient as possible.

I don't know if your on subscription or not but if you are please take the time to go to your subscription site and fill out a request. I personally have had very good luck with the support team. They were very patient with me on this issue and didn't give up until the issue was resolved. Just be sure to listen and give them whatever they want. With me it was my local profile. I was reluctant when they said I needed to delete my local profile and rebuild it. I did not think it was the problem and kept putting them off. That's exactly what it was and now I have no issues (I really shouldn't say none... I have had the check-in freeze up once since the fix.).

Also keep in mind that Vault is very picky. I learned the hard way that there is right and wrongs ways to setup your projects, workspace, vault, etc.  Makes a huge difference on speed. I hate following tutorials on things like this but once I broke down followed a walkthrough off of the Autodesk University site my Vault speeds (in all areas) went from a crawl to a sprint.

Nough rambling and I hope you get her figured out. I know how frustrating this can all be. I just think we look at hardware a little to quick sometimes. I also run Inventor on my laptop and its a 2gig with an old FX1400 video card. Was built for XP and I'm running Win7 on it with Inventor 2011 and she runs fine. A little slow at times but she never hangs. I just keep the garbage off of her.

Message 16 of 34
dominiekvanwest
in reply to: KEverts

Thank you for your reply.

And yes, I have subscription, so I send the question to them. I hope they can help me.

In the meantime I can try your option. But what do you mean with deleting my local profile and rebuilding it? (so: how to do it)

Thanks in advance,

Dominiek

Message 17 of 34

Any news on this issue. I have the same problem on Vista off and on.

Message 18 of 34

I have created a new Windows user profile and now it works.

Message 19 of 34
KEverts
in reply to: dominiekvanwest

Glad to here it worked. I have since had to re-create my user account again. It seams that over-time the issue may come back. I don't know what it is but something is obviously happening to the account that the DWF creation don't like. I have noticed that it effects the export to PDF as well. I can go to AutoCAD and it exports fine.

Message 20 of 34
slalwani

I have a similar issue as well.

From my stand point, the problem does not lies in multiple pages but actual complexity of the model.

We make custom trucks for oil rig services and our trucks includes cranes, hydraulic equipments, and lots of structural stuff.

I just made a single sheet layout with the full truck and it wont check in with visualization options. Just crashes.

Hope that helps in debugging.

Thanks,

Summit L.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report