Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2015 locks up when opening multiple files

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
MarkDooley
835 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor 2015 locks up when opening multiple files

When attempting to open multiple files at once from inside Inventor 2015 the software locks up and goes into "Not Responding" mode.  It never comes out of that mode and we have to use the Task Manager to kill the process and start Inventor again.  The same thing happens when we try to "Place" multiple components (at one time) into an Assembly.  Anyone seen this before??

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Cadmanto
in reply to: MarkDooley

Mark,

As far as I know you can only open one file at a time from within Inventor.  I know you can have multiple fiules opened at once if that is trully what you are talking about. 

How many files do you have open at once before this happens?  How large are the files?  What are your system specs?

I know when I used to use 2012 if I had too many large files open it would lock up and act weird.

Does this do what you are seeing after a fresh restart of your machine?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 15
MarkDooley
in reply to: Cadmanto

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, you can open multiple files at once from inside Inventor.  Select open, drag a window around some files or use control/shift to select multiple files and then hit open and each will open in their own window.  This has been around for a while and is still the case.  On some of our machines we have no problem with this (Inventor 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015).  On a few however Inventor 2015 locks up.  It doesn't matter if there are other files already open or not. Also, it doesn't matter if you restart the machine or not.  And we have uninstalled (clean uninstall) and installed Inventor from scratch but this did not help either. 

The machine is up to spec.  W7-64, 16GB RAM, 4GB NVIDIA Certified card.

Message 4 of 15
rdyson

As a test I opened about 20 iam's, ipt's and dwg's in less than 45 seconds.

They we all fairly simple parts / assemblies

IV 2015 Update1

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 15
MarkDooley
in reply to: rdyson

Thanks rdyson.  That is the expected behavior and what happens on some of our machines but not all.  

Message 6 of 15
mcgyvr

and what if you log into these machines that don't work as a different user?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 15
MarkDooley
in reply to: mcgyvr

We tried that first.  We logged on as the default Administrator account.  No change.  Cleanly uninstalled Inventor 2015, rebooted, created a new user account, installed Inventor 2015, rebooted, tested again, same results.  Still locking up.  Opened Inventor 2014, it responds as it should by opening and placing multiple files as called upon.  

Message 8 of 15
mcgyvr

run a memtest?

(just throwing out ideas...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! Could you be more specific on "multiple'? Is it two or three or a hundred?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 15
MarkDooley

It is any amount over 1. It doesn't matter if it is 2, 3, or 100. Same result.

Thanks,
Mark A. Dooley
Manufacturing Solutions Engineer
MarkDooley@Hagerman.com
Message 11 of 15
johnsonshiue

The behavior does not seem right to me. Did you try selecting two Inventor files in File Explorer and drag&drop them to Inventor? Does it work?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 15

Hi Mark,

As Johnson stated this is not correct - I just opened 150 files in a single open operation. Have you looked at event viewer to see if there is anything of use there ?

What do you have your Inventor temp file location & undo size set to ? (App Options, General & File tabs.) Have you emptied the %temp% folder ?

Have you tried disabling anti-virus & MyHome ? Clutching at straws a bit here, since we don't usually have any issues with this....

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 13 of 15
MarkDooley
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for the reply Johnsonshiue and Chris.

Yes when I drag and drop from WE the files open as they should. The temp directory is empty. The undo size is set to 2048 (default install locations). Yes, we have tried disabling the anti-virus and this did not change anything either. Turning off Inventor Home (disabling it at start up) did nothing either.

The tabs appear for each file that we try to open (with their name listed on the tabs) but the parts nor assemblies appear as the "Not Responding" mode does not clear out. The event viewer is not showing anything out of the ordinary.

Chris, this only happens on our SAGER laptops. On our Dell training stations and Dell laptops we do not have this issue. None of the previous releases have had this issue before (I have Inventor 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 on these as well). This is isolated to 2015 and our SAGER machines. I can create a video and share if needed.

Thanks,
Mark
Message 14 of 15

Hi Mark,

I don't know that we've ever test Sager latops - which models do you have ? Which graphics mode in Inventor are you using ? Does it make a difference if you change to "Conservative" or software graphcis before opening ?

Do you have hyper-threading enabled at the BIOS level? What if you disable that ?

Also as a test, start Inventor & then go to Task Manager & find the Inventor.exe process, Rt click it & got to Set affinity - change the CPU affinity so that it only runs on a single CPU core - then try opeing the files - any change ?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 15 of 15
MarkDooley

HI Chris,

My machines are Sager X7200. I have tried all 4 graphics settings (Quality, Performance, Conservative, and Software Graphics). No change.

Hyper-threading is enabled but it made no difference when turning it off. Also, I set Inventor to run on a single core and that didn't change anything either.

I did, however, manage to narrow down the culprit. I thought this was happening with all files but it turns out that it is only happening when using files that have not been migrated to Inventor 2015. Each time I was trying to open or place multiple files (some of the selected files were last saved with Inventor 2014). Once migrated, those files now open as expected. I opened Inventor 2014, created and saved 3 parts, closed Inventor 2014, launched Inventor 2015, tried to open those files in one operation, and Inventor 2015 locked up. I killed the process, launched Inventor 2015, opened each file separately, saved each file (migrated them to the Inventor 2015 format), closed the 3 files, attempted to open them on one operation and succeeded. Again, this only happens with my Sager laptops. My Dell towers and Dell laptops do not have these issues.

Thanks,
Mark A. Dooley
Manufacturing Solutions Engineer
MarkDooley@Hagerman.com
Hagerman & Company, Inc.| 125 TownPark Drive | Kennesaw, GA 30144 | (678) 809.6218[facebook] [twitter] [http://www.hagerman.com/upcoming_events/images/buttons/social_media/youtube.png] [cid:image014.jpg@01CF83F0.E3B9D470]

[cid:image004.gif@01CC52B3.0C6808F0]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report