Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
Anonymous
651 Views, 32 Replies

Inventor 2014

Hi Guys!

Im new to all of this so if anybody could help me out that would be great! I recently go Inventor 2014 and dont fully understand to use it yet. I have lots of knowlage of AutoCAD but not inventor. My problem is whenever i draw a sketch and try to add it to an assembly, this message pops up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The assebly could not be saved because a different level of detail representation is being edited. Please close all other level of detail representaions to continue with edits.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This pops when i go to use the frame editor. it also pops up when i go to use the miter tool. if someone could help me out it would be greatly appriciated!

Thank you!

32 REPLIES 32
Message 2 of 33
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

You generally add components to assemblies not sketches (although for Frame Generator the component (part) might only contain sketch(s).

I recommend you start here

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/SkillsUSA%20University.pdf
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/p/inventor-tutorials.html
http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/enu?adskContextId=HELP_TUTORIALS&language=ENU&release=2014&product=Inve...

And then attach assembly/part files here that exhibit any problems you experience so that someone can help you using your actual files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Thankyou! I really apriciate it. This will help me out a LOT! Thanks a million!

Message 4 of 33
Anonymous

Thanks for everything but i still dont understand what i need to do to get rid of that message. If you could tell we that would be great.

Message 5 of 33
Anonymous

Thanks for everything but i still dont understand what i need to do to get rid of that message. Thanks

Message 6 of 33
JDMather

And then attach assembly/part files here that exhibit any problems you experience so that someone can help you using your actual files.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 33
Anonymous

This is the file.

Message 8 of 33
JDMather

I don't know what you are doing that causes that message, but first thing I noticed is that your sketch has an unconstrained line at the top and it would be better to make use of smmetry about the origin.

Message 9 of 33
LT.Rusty

That's just a single part file.  We need the assembly file (.iam), plus all of the part files (.ipt) that make up the assembly.

At a guess, though, I'd say that you accidentally (and probably without realizing it) created some levels of detail in your assembly, probably by suppressing a component.  Working with LOD's is ... annoying.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 10 of 33
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Thats the onlything in the assembly. when i try to extrude it it says I can't.The LOD is set to master. i never tuched that

Message 11 of 33
LT.Rusty

Save the assembly file and attach it here as well.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 12 of 33
LT.Rusty

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats the onlything in the assembly. when i try to extrude it it says I can't.The LOD is set to master. i never tuched that

Okay, waitaminute.  I just noticed something here.

Are you trying to extrude this profile IN THE ASSEMBLY?  Or are you trying to extrude it IN THE PART?

It's a closed profile, it extrudes just fine in the part.  Assembly extrusions have to be done from a sketch in the assembly, not from a sketch in the part.  Also, they can't add material - you can only remove material in  operations done at the assembly level.  If you're trying to do an extrude-cut in the assembly and you're trying to use a sketch that's in a part, then yes - it's going to fail.  If you're trying to do an extrude-cut at the assembly level and you have no actual solids in your part, then it's also going to fail because there's no geometry to change.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 13 of 33
Anonymous

It won't even let me extrude this 40'' by 50" rectangle.

Message 14 of 33
Anonymous

Then how do i do it?

Message 15 of 33
LT.Rusty

@Anonymous wrote:

Then how do i do it?

I just opened the part file, clicked on EXTRUDE, and there you have it.  See the picture below.

You have to be working in the part though, not the assembly.

Now speaking of assemblies ... in order to figure out your issue with the Level of Detail error, I need your assembly file.

Capture.JPG

Rusty

EESignature

Message 16 of 33
Anonymous

After I click finish sketch, I go to extrude it and it tells me that this file can not be eddited

Message 17 of 33
LT.Rusty

Did you somehow set it to be read only?  Take screenshots of the error messages you're getting and attach them here.  Also, attach your assembly file please.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 18 of 33
Anonymous

don't know how to take a screen shot.

Message 19 of 33
LT.Rusty

Start button --> ALL PROGRAMS --> ACCESSORIES --> SNIPPING TOOL

Save your snips, then use the button in the text editor here (it looks like a little photo of a tree) and post them here.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 20 of 33
Anonymous

autocad snip.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report