Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 to 3DS Max Design 2014

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1003 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 2014 to 3DS Max Design 2014

I've been playing around with the workflows of bringing my IV assemblies into 3DS Max Design in order to do some renderings that studio just can't do.  I've tried Showcase as well, but my colors don't import correctly.

I've had sucess with models being imported, small assemblies and a few larger ones.  It seems that the newer the assembly, the greater the success rate.  My main problem is that the workflow sometimes refuses to import my FG assemblies.  It will import all other parts that weren't inserted with the FG.  If I try to import just the frame, I get the same results.  BTW, these assemblies were created in 2011.  Anything I've done in 2014, no issues importing.

As a quick example, see below.  The first shot is from IV.  The second, is after importing into 3DS Max Design.

m019 IV.PNG    m019 3DS.PNG

I haven't seen many posts on here about this, and if I've got this in the wrong forum, please someone let me know and I'll ask elsewhere.  Anyone have any issues like this?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
coreyparks
in reply to: Anonymous

I haven't seen this issue myself but if it's not happening with anything created in Inventor 2014 then maybe if you convert all of the 2011 files over to 2014 format?  If just saving them as the new version doesn't work then try converting them using the task scheduler with a complete rebuild of the parts.  I think you could also open each file individually and run a rebuild all to bring the file completly over to the 2014 format.  Try a couple of files that way then try to import into 3DS and see if it helped?

Please mark this response "Accept as solution" if it answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Corey Parks
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: coreyparks

I had the same thought as you Corey.  All parts have been converted to the latest version.  Now it's even more odd.  If I open that frame subassembly, when I do the workflow to take it into 3DS Max Design, I get the same results.  I just get the parts that I constrained to the frame.  But, if I open up the subassembly that the FG creates, I am able to get the frame to show up in 3DS Max Design.  I can't figure out what's going on here.  I've cleared the assembly of all adaptivity, if there was.  No parts missing, as in un-referenced.  The assembly is not over constrained by any means.  I do have a few different level of details, but it doesn't matter which I select.  The frame doesn't want to import.

Thanks for the help, I'm at a loss.  I'll pick this back up tomorrow when I return to work...

Message 4 of 6
LT.Rusty

I haven't messed around with Max, but I can tell you that the Suite Workflow button to send your parts to Showcase does not seem to work for everyone when it comes to parts out of content center.  Not entirely sure why, or how to predict what's going to happen.  What I find I need to do usually is (for regular CC parts) insert as custom, which saves a copy of the part with the assembly, and (for FG parts) promote all the structural members so that they're shown as regular parts in the main assembly, not part of a frame assembly.  I haven't tested exhaustively yet, but I suspect the same will hold true for any design accelerator components as well.

Some people seem to have this issue, some people don't.  I'm not sure why, or how to predict who will be affected by it. 

Rusty

EESignature

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Hi Rusty, and thanks for the reply.  I've seen people have problems from around the group here and I think I lucked out with having actually very little issues.

Like I said in my first post, I was able to import into 3DS Max Design when I went all the way down to the assembly that was created from the FG.  I was able to align the objects in 3DS MD and came out with a pretty good result.  

M019.png

I will mark this post closed, but I'm still confused as to why this one gave me the problems. 

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 6
royden.chick

Hi Aaron,

Glad you finally reached an acceptable conclusion, but sorry you had to jump through those hoops...

Since it sounds like this is an issue other Workflow users have, and will continue to, encounter I'm wondering if you would be willing to share your data set with us (2011 version preferably) to facilitate our reproducing, investigating and fixing it? If so, could you email me roughly where you are located so I can send you an upload link? 

Thanks,

-Roy

royden.chick@autodesk.com

Roy Chick
QA - DLS Release Manager
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report