Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 slow start in the morning

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
barsea
2033 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor 2014 slow start in the morning

I have been using 2014 without problems for about 2 months until now. Recently (in the last two weeks) I have been starting inventor in the morning and the first model I load (whether big or small makes no difference) will sit for about 20 minutes before the model is loaded and can be worked on. Once the first model is loaded, every other model loads just as fast as it did in the past without delay.  I can even shut down inventor, start it up again and load a model without delay.

In order to mitigate the delay, I have been leaving my machine on over night and in the morning start using Inventor as usual - without delay.

I have applied service pack 1, but the problem persists.

My machine specs are:

Intel Xeon, dual quad core - 8 CPUs @ 3.6GHz

16 Gig ram

Windows 7, 64 bit

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
BarryZA
in reply to: barsea

I had, on the face of it, the same problem as you. It turned out to be a hardware (RAM) fault.

What happened is I put twice the maximum RAM in, funnily enough my mb picked it up and it would work, but often my first file to open in Inv would be really slow.

I then installed a graphics card and the problem got 10 times worse.

I took out the extra RAM and now everything is perfect. (and I'm saving up for a new mb)

Message 3 of 12
karthur1

I have the same issue with my computer at home. But, I don't think that it is necessarly Inventor.  When I start it up, if I start a memory heavy program it is very sluggish.  I see the same slowness with a large pdf (50mb) or Photoshop or Autocad or Inventor.

I have noticed that if I boot it and let everything load, then reboot it.  It will seems to start faster after the second boot.  Many times I will just start it and go do something for 15 minutes or so, then come back and start to work.

I have tried reloading sound, mouse, and network drivers, but I still have the issue.  Running Windows  7 x64 and 16MB ram.  I have tried to use procmon to see if I can tell whats holding it up, but did not see any problems.

Kirk

Message 4 of 12
blair
in reply to: karthur1

When you close a program in Windows, not all of the program is unloaded from memory, this allows for faster reloading of the program.

If you also have another version of Inventor (older version) and used it last, then Inventor needs to re-register some files and will take longer to load.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 12
barsea

I would suspect the physical memory but the only program that exhibits this slow start behaviour is Inventor, everything else has been running as usual, nothing out of the ordinary. I have no other versions of Inventor installed, just 2014.

In fact I have been using Inventor all day today and have closed and restarted the program a couple of times without problems. If I were to reboot my computer though, I would - as you say - have to take a 15 minute coffee break while I wait for Inentor to load a model.  Incidentally, Inventor itself will load just fine, and fairly quickly - only the model takes time to load the first model.

Message 6 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi barsea,
If you go to the Tools tab > Application Options > Hardware tab, what setting is it set to?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 12
dgorsman

Here's a question: if you wait 15 minutes (or approximately whatever the delay is) after rebooting/starting the computer first thing in the morning without starting Inventor, does the delay still happen?

As another thought, this might be another process, such as an anti-virus scanner busy doing its thing.  Have a look at the active processes, CPU/file/registry/etc. activity while the delay is happening - this can give some idea as to where the delays are cropping up.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 8 of 12
barsea
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Curtis,

The setting is currently at "Performance". My video card is an NVIDIA Quadro 2000 w/ 4G RAM and the "Software graphics" check box is unchecked.

I clicked on the Diagnostics button and have attached the ouput as a text file because it is quite long.

Message 9 of 12
blair

Odd, I think that Curtis is probably correct that some background services are loading or running scans. Mind you I start slow in the morning as well until the first cup of coffee kicks in.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 12
4donwan4
in reply to: blair

We have these issues like reported. All previous comments are valid with suggestions to what might be the cause. I wanted to offer this, have you seen the same experience when logging into the problematic machine with a different Windows user account? If you find that a different user account operates Inventor without delay then look at the attached text file. This can be used to clear out the default registry keys and rebuild them under the problematic profile, it might help. I would caution to back up the registry first before doing just in case. I have yet to see this do any harm though.

Regards,

Don

Message 11 of 12
barsea
in reply to: 4donwan4

Thank you all for your responses, I very much appreciate the input everyone has given.

After much testing over the past few days I did find something. As usual a model was taking a very long time to load but I noticed another inventor window pop up in the background, showing only on the taskbar behind the original inventor window icon. I selected it and found that there was a message saying something like "the button is not available" (I'm sorry I did not write the message down but it appeared to be an addin failure? - I remember the message referred to a long name and it started like Ad....?) In any case, I closed the messagebox and my model opened as in the past - fairly quickly. Since then, I have not had any more slow loading models and the messagebox has not appeared again.

I guess the problem is fixed but due to my lack of attention in observing the error, I can't tell why.  I'm sorry, I guess this post will only help others to observe the taskbar for similar problems.

Thanks again!

Message 12 of 12
mmoucka

Good afternoon.

Also I have some problems with start of Inventor and AutoCAD. At some starts during whole day (for example 8 times from 10) happends something unforseen. Whole computer freeze over for so 2-3 mins. For information - Procmon (Sysinternals) record and show nothing in this time. Normally is start up to 8 seconds. I think, that is it any software problem of Autodesk - incompatibility with some hardware. From version 2014, when I got a new PC is the problem here. My new machine is desegned on AMD 8-core Vishera processor and has 16 GB RAM. Other work stations are on AMD Zambezi core with 8 GB RAM and Autodesk products have no problem. Newest our computer (my colegge's computer) is 6-core AMD Vishera with 16 GB RAM based on another main board and has the same problems. All other programs from Microsoft, Corel and much other are working normally. We tried barter the system SSD for normal magnetic drive, but nothing.

Heve You anybody some tips ?

Thank You much, Martin.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report