Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014, part

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Alainmorin
302 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2014, part

Hi to all, in our company we are using standard mounting plate coming with is enclosure.  That plate is alway drill in our shop and always have the same part number for what ever the design configuration by adding contactors, breakers and so on.  How can we re-used that same plate and keep Master part drawing as is (Master plate without holes) for other design?

Holes should be seens, only at the assembly level for specific job , not for the Master part.

Exemples;

- Plate Master 36"x24", drawing name #Master3624, standard from any supplier

- Plate Job#1 36"x24", drawing name #Master3624-1, standard from any supplier but with new holes.

- Plate Job#2 36"x24", drawing name #Master3624-2, standard from any supplier but with new holes at different location 1.

- Plate Job#3 36"x24", drawing name #Master3624-3, standard from any supplier but with new holes at different location 2.

- Etc....

At the moment the holes always shown on the Master plate, so we have to copy a Master plate (Without holes) to each job and rename each plate.  The problem is when different user is using the same plate to do there job, we have hard time to keep track on all the numbers or duplication.

Thank's!

Alain

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: Alainmorin

Not sure I fully understand.

But it sounds like you simply want a single part that represents the master plate. Which in Inventor would be 

Master3624.ipt (which would have no holes)

Then you simply drop that plate into each assembly and add the holes at the assembly level and NOT at the part level.

So don't edit the ipt.. Just create new sketches/holes right in the assembly environment. 

Try it.. Drop a part into a new assembly and don't edit the part just create a new sketch on it. 

Its called "assembly level features"

This video seems to show how to do them (around the 3:34 minute mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl5zjQ1zQWo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 8
Alainmorin
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thank's macgyvr, but I forgot to mention, i am using bolt connection instead of holes. But I will try.
Message 4 of 8
Alainmorin
in reply to: mcgyvr

Hi mcgyvr, it's working for a hole, but not for bolt a Bolted Connection. What is important for me is, when i move the part, the Bolted Connection hole should move with it, by editing the Bolted Connection.
Message 5 of 8
mcgyvr
in reply to: Alainmorin

sorry.. I don't use bolted connection..

One might "assume" Autodesk might had an option to do bolted connection holes as "assembly level features" only and not push the holes back to the part but I don't see it.. And I always get burnt "assuming" with Autodesk. 🙂

"seems" it might just be a "limitation" with bolted connections.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 6 of 8

Make the holes (extrude cut) at the assembly level and then place the boltS or use the Bolted Connection using those holes. As long as the hole is larger (or same size?) than the hole clearance size specified in your thread.xls file then the Bolted Connection Accelerator won't create a hole that would be demoted to the part.

BC.png

Brendan Henderson
CAD Manager

New Blog | Old Blog | Google+ | Twitter

Inventor 2016 PDSU Build 236, Release 2016.2.2, Vault Professional 2016 Update 1, Win 7 64 bit

Please use "Accept as Solution" & give "Kudos" if this response helped you.

Message 7 of 8
blair
in reply to: brendan.henderson

Or just create a Master Plate with out holes and then use it to derive new plates with holes as your -1, -2 and -3.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 8
4donwan4
in reply to: blair

Blair's last post is probably the best way to approach it. The Bolted Connections does not use a "Hole" Feature as pointed out previously. Consider entering this in the Ideas forum to be considered for future releases.

Regards,

Don 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report