Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 and mesh enabler

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
njoshi89
1589 Views, 20 Replies

Inventor 2014 and mesh enabler

Hi All

I am working with a student version of inventor 2014, how and where do I get the mesh enabler does this version? I have got some 3d scanned objects that I would like to use in my design.

Thanks

Regards

NJ

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: njoshi89

Hi NJ,

Welcome to the community,

Inventor does not quite have Mesh modeling like you would find in AutoCAD. What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe we can find a work around. Pictures would be helpful

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Twitter: @JoAnn_Hogan
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 3 of 21
njoshi89
in reply to: JoAnn_Hogan

Dear JoAnn

Thank You for your reply

If I am correct Inventor 2013 did have an enabler for editing, or was that
just for importing a stl file.

Ok what I am trying to do is ..

1)first scan an object

2) Create a larger object using a sketch in Inventor

3) Then using the "DERIVED" feature in inventor to get mould effect of the
scanned object on the drawn object.

For example If first draw a thick square block. Then I was to get a 3D scan
of my hand. I would like the derive feature to create another square block
with my hand prints onto that object.

Bit like a glove to a hand.

I can achieve the derived feature concept if both object are drawn in
inventor but not when one is scanned to an stl.

Please advise me on what I must do.

Thank You

NJ
Message 4 of 21
JoAnn_Hogan

Can you please send me the file and I could quickly try it and give you a more accurate answer?

If this post solved your issue please mark as solved and Kudos are always welcome 😃

Jo - Ann
Revit Architecture Certified Professional / Revit Structure Certified Professional / AutoCAD Certified Professional
Message 5 of 21
JDMather

If you search here on stl mesh enabler you should find a thread with response by Autodesk employee Scott... well now can't remember his last name, anyhow, you can get his email for obtaining the add-in as a student.

or

simply zip and attach the stl file here and someone will convert it for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 6 of 21
njoshi89

Dear Jo Ann

Would you like the original stl file or the project file I am working with?

Regards

NJ
Message 7 of 21
JoAnn_Hogan

The original stl file

Jo - Ann
Message 8 of 21
njoshi89

Please find it attached.
Message 9 of 21
JoAnn_Hogan

Theres no attached file. Please attach again. If it gives you an error that you cannot attach the file type. Put it in a zip file and try again

Jo - Ann
Message 10 of 21
njoshi89

Sorry,let me try again

Message 11 of 21
JoAnn_Hogan

Ugh, I am so frustrated right now. I had a support issue the other day with the same problem and we solved it. I just cant figure out which command it was right now. I phoned my colleague and he is also having a look at it. I am so sorry, Ill try to get it back to you asap.

Jo - Ann
Message 12 of 21
JoAnn_Hogan

Please have a look at these links: 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General/How-to-use-stl-and-other-mesh-files-in-Inventor/td-p/...

http://makibox.com/forum/topic/1642

I will sit with my colleague tomorrow and give you feedback.

Jo - Ann
Message 13 of 21
JDMather

Your surfaces do not define a "watertight" volume - therefore it will not solidify.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 14 of 21
JoAnn_Hogan
in reply to: JDMather

Ok So as far as I could figure it out. Your Face does not want to convert to a surface, hence it can not be subtracted from the box. (See Attachment)

I would recommend that you take the stl file into Alias and convert the stl file to a surface. then bring the alias file into Inventor and then subtract that file.

Jo - Ann
Message 15 of 21
njoshi89

I will give that a go. Is that Alias Design software?

Thanks
Message 16 of 21
scott.sheppard

I provide the Mesh Enabler to students on a regular basis.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 17 of 21

That sounds like a good idea. @Scott - is it something you can download from Autodesk Labs?

Jo - Ann
Message 18 of 21

The download is not public. This is something I handle on a case by case basis.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 21
njoshi89
in reply to: scott.sheppard

I think you have sent me a download link

I will give the enabler a go over the weekend and post my experience.

Thanks

NJ
Message 20 of 21
dheshenko

Hi everyone, first post! Im using inventor as student for about 2 months now and still learning, so far projects went well but i think im facing the same problem, spent some time making an assembly for a computer pc layout reference but this time  i used some stl files instead of making them (see image 1 attached) and everytime i tried exporting or anything i got blank except for the base which i made from an ipt file (image 2 ) , is  my problem the same ? and if it is what would be the best way to fix this? thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report