Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 - Yellow Surface Edges

16 REPLIES 16
SOLVED
Message 1 of 17
allee
13084 Views, 16 Replies

Inventor 2014 - Yellow Surface Edges

We just upgraded Inventor from 2013 to 2014.

I opened a model generated in previous releases and noticed that there were parts with a strange yellow highlight. 

Turns out the parts aren't explicitly highlighted, it's just that their edges are yellow. I have no idea why.

See the screenshot below.

Joystick Screenshot.jpg

I usually work in the 'Shaded with Edges' view style. I found that if the view style is changed to 'Shaded' or 'Realistic', the yellow disappears with the edges.

The only parts the yellow edges seem to affect are ones generated as surfaces. I would like to know how to turn the yellow off is possible. So far I've tried changing the part appearance in the toolbar and changing the surface body properties in the model tree; neither method worked.

Now I don't model in surfaces, but there have been purchased parts imported into Inventor that have in the past ended up as surfaces, and it's these parts that have the highlight. I haven't noticed anything like this in previous releases.

Has anyone else noticed this, found an explanation or a solution?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Al

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
japike
in reply to: allee

In Application Options, on the Display tab, click the settings button. Have you checked these settings?

Capture.PNG

Can you post a part?

Peace,
Jeff
Inventor 2022
Message 3 of 17
blair

Try the hot-fix for IV2014

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 17
karthur1

1. Make sure you are not in the Master View representation.  If you are, create a new one.  Call it what you want, Default or View1 should work.

2.  Expand the Surface Bodies node and hover over the different surfaces.  When you get to the one you want to turn off, right click and uncheck visibility.

2013-05-17_1350.png

Save the part.

In your assembly that this is used in, change the view rep to the part to whatever you called it (Default or View1).

Message 5 of 17
allee
in reply to: japike

Hi Jeff,

I typically set my application options to the 'shaded with edges' visual style. The model edges option was set to the default 'use part color'.

I changed the 'Model edges' radio button from part color to one color (black), and that got rid of the yellow.

I can't recall if I have modified this setting in the past or not...

Anyway, seems to work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Al

Message 6 of 17
karthur1

What if your part is red, or blue... or some color other than black?

Message 7 of 17
allee
in reply to: karthur1

So I installed the hotfix; no change with the yellow lines. Hopefully it fixes the other issues noted in the readme though...

karthur1, with regard to your fist comment, I don't want the surface to be completely invisible, I just want the yellow to be the part color. Or did I misread what you were describing?

With regard to your second comment, the yellow edges appear over seemingly any part color (although I haven't tried every single one).

I'm looking into posting a model somewhere.

Al

Message 8 of 17
blair

Can you post file

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 17
allee
in reply to: blair

Here's a Dropbox link for the file I posted the screen shot of:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sk7sfvkggfaal69/Joystick%20Test.ipt?m

Message 10 of 17
blair

Comes into my system fine, I can do anything I want. Must be a local setting on you machine.  Capture1.JPG

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 11 of 17
allee

I see.

And your model has edges turned on as well? How did the model look when you first opened it?

Message 12 of 17
blair

What you are seeing is normal with Edges visible using a surface model

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 17
WHolzwarth

I took a closer look into the file. There are some quality problems, lots of missing faces, and some internal faces without much sense.

Patching the whole stuff back to a real solid would take some time.

Walter

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 14 of 17
pcrawley

Al - I think what you are showing in your screenshot is exactly what it should look like.  Yellow edges is the default color for surfaces when shown in a shaded-with-edges mode AND your Inventor color scheme (as indicated in Tools > App Options > Colors) is set to "Winter night".  There are a few other color schemes where yellow is the default for surfaces.  I suspect that if this colour is new to you, then you probably had a different colour scheme active in 2013.

Blair's screenshot is either shaded or realistic, but if he turns it to shaded with edges, he'll get yellow edges too because of his current color scheme.

The easy way to change if from yellow is to try a different colour scheme.  (Remember to close all open Inventor doc's before switching colour schemes.)  There is another way to change the color to something of your choosing, but it's unsupported and it'll change the color of your work-feature edges too (Work planes, points, axis etc.)

Thanks for posting your system spec's.  I can see you're running Win 7, so follow these steps:

1. Close Inventor
  2. Find C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\SDK
  3. Install "User Tools.msi"
  4. Find C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\SDK\UserTools\ColorSchemeEditor\Bin
  5. Run "InventorColorSchemeEditor.exe"
  6. Select the highest registry version (RegistryVersion18.0 is Inventor 2014)
  7. Select your current colour scheme (as indicated in Tools > App Options > Colours)
  8. Select "3d documents > Feature Creation > Work Feature" - and a massive yellow box appears in the top-right of the UI.  Click it.
  9. Set the colour to whatever you like.
  10. Save (you can leave the Colour Scheme Editor open)
  11. Re-run Inventor and open your part.

Changes in Color Scheme Editor do not take effect until you restart Inventor.

PC.png

Hope this works for you!

Peter

Peter
Message 15 of 17
allee
in reply to: pcrawley

Peter,

That makes sense. I'm thinking I'll just set the edge color default to black in application options and call it a day. I can't remember if I had explicitly done that before, but I seem to remember black edges rather than 'part colored' edges (as seems to be the default setting this release). Thanks for the info.

As for the model, it's only for visual purposes so no need to worry about all of the surface errors.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 17
emile.ch.96

just go to view and select view without edge like realistic or other it work just fine

Message 17 of 17
emile.ch.96
in reply to: emile.ch.96

like shade is lower use of gpu and look great for surface

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report