Inventor General

Message 61 of 138 (931 Views)

Re: Inventor 2014 Wish List?

09-24-2012 06:47 AM in reply to: FProcp

Please put me in for a compatibility with ALL spreadsheet formats so everybody can do a iPart regardless of their "office" (MicrosoftOffice / OpenOffice)

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 62 of 138 (920 Views)

09-24-2012 07:28 AM in reply to: serban.dumbrava

I really doubt that corporate politics would allow for AutoDesk to support a non-traditional program like OpenOffice.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 63 of 138 (903 Views)

09-24-2012 08:05 AM in reply to: mrattray

it's a WISHlist. We should target the Moon because if we miss it, at least we hit a star, or two. :-)

I had this wish because I'm testing Inventor to see if I can use it for curtainwall design and buy it and today I foundout that, in order to use iParts, I have to buy Microsoft Office (maybe a specific type) because otherwise the iPart can't be created. So my card-castle just collapsed.

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 64 of 138 (888 Views)

09-24-2012 11:00 AM in reply to: serban.dumbrava

You MAY be able to use iLogic programming as a replacement.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 65 of 138 (870 Views)

09-24-2012 12:41 PM in reply to: mrattray

I'd like to be able to multi-select custom properties in the iProperty editor for deletion.

Right now I have a bunch of derived parts that were made with every single parameter derived. hat means I have to:

1) Uncheck all of these parameters from the derive part dialog. This isn't bad thanks to being able to select/deselct entire catagories.

2) I have to uncheck export on every parameter in the deriving part. This isn't too bad, it's just one click for each of 100 parameters, and I came up with a little trick to make the dialog scroll along as I click.

3) I now have to open up the derived part and select then click delete for every single one of these. Now this just sucks because now we have to find the property, click it, move over to delete, click that, move back to the list of properties, select the next one, move back to the delete button... times 100 properties... times 10 derived parts...

Better yet... why not just make the **** part update it's property list like it should have in the first place?!

Even allowing the use of the delete key on the keyboard instead of having to click the **** button would be huge, and useful in other circumstances.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

*Expert Elite*
mrattray
Message 66 of 138 (830 Views)

09-25-2012 07:29 AM in reply to: sbixler

sbixler wrote:

Could it be a text parameter fed into a custom iProperty?  The parameter could be included in the derived part.

I hit a snag using this procedure. You can't export text parameters, and you can't derive parameters that arn't exported. What I've been doing instead is deriving the controlling factors that are used in concotanating the numbers and building inside of the derived part using iLogic. It's a PITA, if you haven't guessed that already.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Valued Contributor
Message 67 of 138 (774 Views)

10-08-2012 06:44 AM in reply to: FProcp

It would be nice to have custom pattern in assemblies. Would save a lot of time! Because a lot of time you need same parts/assemblies in a pattern, but with 2 or 3 different lengths.

Also, it would be nice to be able to delete all of the sheet formats you don't need, and add/create your own formats, and not like it is now, half made.

And why the hell do you have to be in assembly enviroment to use features as design shaft, sprocket, spur gear, .... no logic behind this!

Factory design suite 2013 premium
Some old workstation ...
Fancy HP LCD
:smileyhappy:
Active Contributor
Message 68 of 138 (714 Views)

10-14-2012 10:32 PM in reply to: streharg

I've just installed 2013 and was hoping for a few of my issues to be fixed.. Silly me..

Anyhow my wishlist for 2014 is mostly to do with the 2d drawing environment which I think could do with a bit of work. :

*Dimensions or text covering any lines on a drawing to have a white background so the lines would not be shown, so you can read the text or dim.

* Bullet /number lists in text.

* Item Balloons that have 2 fields. When you edit balloon you can only edit (over write) the first field. How about the 2nd one.

* Prompted Entry text in Symbols to textwrap onto a 2nd-3rd line.

* Details View shapes other than circles or squares, how about oval or user defined.

* Break out in Iso views to show the cut in 3d. eg, breakout view on a pipe, doesn't really show the pipe cut looking circular, its just a straight cut. In an Iso, you should still see that its round.

* More on Layer control. ok, so all my assembly is on Visible lines, great they ALL print at the same thickness. It would be handy if you could pick subassyA or subassyB etc and select another layer for them to be on. If you actually want to go down that path you have to pick each subassy in the browser in each view window, then pick another layer. Would help when you have to export out to acad.

Oh can we also have our own user definable toolbar put back? One that can dock !! This is frustrating!

ok, rant over

:smileyhappy:Anne

Valued Contributor
PhilSaw
Message 69 of 138 (706 Views)

10-15-2012 01:22 AM in reply to: FProcp

In the drawing environment I'd like to see these two improvements (standard in AutoCAD by the way):

1. The ability to type text on a dimension which you can choose to place under the dimension line - In AutoCAD this function could be performed by typing \X after the upper dim text. Just a button or even copy the script for \X would suffice!

2. Decent options for snapping leader lines to help place them better - at the moment all we have is the (sometimes useless) dotted alignment feature when you go near another dim leader. Perhaps we could have a basic dimension constraints toolbar in the ribbon? You only need a couple of buttons, say horizontal and vertical alignment snap?

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2012
Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit (Service Pack 1)
Intel(R) Core(TM i7-2600 CPU, Quadro 2000 graphics card, 8G RAM
*Expert Elite*
Message 70 of 138 (667 Views)

10-15-2012 12:01 PM in reply to: buffs_star

buffs_star wrote:

I've just installed 2013 and was hoping for a few of my issues to be fixed.. Silly me..

Anyhow my wishlist for 2014 is mostly to do with the 2d drawing environment which I think could do with a bit of work. :

*Dimensions or text covering any lines on a drawing to have a white background so the lines would not be shown, so you can read the text or dim.

It will break some extension lines and leaders but not centerlines and there is the option for cross-hatch clipping (also when it clips if there is more than one line it clips to the extent of the longest line)

* Bullet /number lists in text.

Yes, this is definitely needed - it would be best if you could just do it in the text, even if you had to paste from word or something, but I would accept some sort of text list feature.

* Item Balloons that have 2 fields. When you edit balloon you can only edit (over write) the first field. How about the 2nd one.

It looks as though the edit balloon dialog was set up like it could accommodate several columns - but yet again the actual execution did not follow through.

* Prompted Entry text in Symbols to textwrap onto a 2nd-3rd line.

If you change your text to use a text box you can do this - I would like to be able to put carriage returns within the text, in the iProperties too while you're at it, thanks.

* Details View shapes other than circles or squares, how about oval or user defined.

Yes please

* Break out in Iso views to show the cut in 3d. eg, breakout view on a pipe, doesn't really show the pipe cut looking circular, its just a straight cut. In an Iso, you should still see that its round.

Yes, a proper cut for tubes and rounds especially for the break view.

(I think you might be able fake something with some extra views - off the page, or hide them - and cut inheritance)

* More on Layer control. ok, so all my assembly is on Visible lines, great they ALL print at the same thickness. It would be handy if you could pick subassyA or subassyB etc and select another layer for them to be on. If you actually want to go down that path you have to pick each subassy in the browser in each view window, then pick another layer. Would help when you have to export out to acad.

I haven't tried, but can you select for all the views at once? (But maybe if you could set for one view and have it inherited when you place others? - or would you really want it to be something you could set from the assembly?)

Oh can we also have our own user definable toolbar put back? One that can dock !! This is frustrating!

The ribbon is the future - it is futile to resist the ribbon. You just need to learn that three clicks are better than one and hiding functions is much better than having them all neatly ordered where you can get at them.

ok, rant over

:smileyhappy:Anne

Once you get used to the ribbon you can be one of us, one of us, one of us ...

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Inventor Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Autodesk Inventor helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Inventor

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Pinterest

Youtube