Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Wish List?

137 REPLIES 137
SOLVED
Message 1 of 138
FProcp
12678 Views, 137 Replies

Inventor 2014 Wish List?

Constraints.jpg

Maybe the sketch environment could be a little tidier?

1 - I think by default the constraint icons should be smaller so they don’t pile up on top of each other and you can’t see what they are. They appear to be much neater and easier to read in SW?

2 - In the attached sketch it shows there are 3 dimensions needed even though the lines are now dark blue in color showing they are constrained. They are really not fully constrained because the length of both those lines can be changed.

I think there should be a symbol to show those line end points are not locked down. I have drawn “x” marks on those lines to show that. Maybe that or something else would be enough to quickly show not locked. Sometimes on complex sketches I spend much time searching for lines that don’t have their ends locked to fully constrain the sketch. I often use automatic dimension to find where those naughty lines are but an x on the end would be much faster.

The sketch environment is the basic backbone of the entier program and it needs to be perfect. Smiley Wink

Franco
GMT +08:00
137 REPLIES 137
Message 41 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: FProcp

How about we fix this?

Capture.JPG

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 42 of 138
kstate92
in reply to: mrattray

Amen.  The point of a detail drawing is supposed to be clarification, not obfuscation.

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 43 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: FProcp

I would find it useful if properties could be derived. For instance, I have a L/R part created through an assembly mirror operation. Both parts are laser cut from the same cnc program and then braked in different directions. (I have **** loads of these) I store the cnc program number as an iproperty that is referenced in the details' titleblocks. It would be nice if I could include this property (amongst others) in the derive function so I never have to worry about making sure they match.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 44 of 138
SBix26

Could it be a text parameter fed into a custom iProperty?  The parameter could be included in the derived part.

Message 45 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: SBix26

That's what I do now, but it's a lot of extra clicks. It would be nice if I could just toggle the properties directly.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 46 of 138
dan_inv09

Put me down for that one too.

Message 47 of 138
dan_inv09

Would that be better handled if sheet metal bends were an assembly feature? (of course then you'd have to make the part, flatten it, then what? export a dxf to use as a sketch for a flat part then ...)

But it would be useful if derived parts weren't so "dumb" (like feature patterns aren't recognized, etc.)

Message 48 of 138
m.granata

Add an "Endpoint" selection to the Point Snap menu in sketch mode.  Also, for sketch mode, add a 2 point circle creation option.

Message 49 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: m.granata

How is a two point cicle different from the current standard circle?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 50 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: dan_inv09

@dan_inv09 wrote:

Would that be better handled if sheet metal bends were an assembly feature? (of course then you'd have to make the part, flatten it, then what? export a dxf to use as a sketch for a flat part then ...)

But it would be useful if derived parts weren't so "dumb" (like feature patterns aren't recognized, etc.)

Huh?
Why are we talking about assembly features? I just want properties to be included in the derive dialog.

Being able to regonize feature patterns for use with component patterns would certainly be another nice touch.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 51 of 138
jletcher

Again just make Inventor work like it did back in the day.

I think if we put our wishes on the back burner this can happen but if we all keep wishing for more features you are also wishing for a buggy Inventor Like now.

As you can see with all the new things in 2013 you also got more bugs.....

Please just post FIX INVENTOR then we can wish for features..

Message 52 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

I would be 100% happy if they did that. But, I'm not betting on it. They need things to market with. As far as AD marketing is concerned, IV is already the pinnacle of perfection. To admit otherwise would bring their whole world collapsing down on them. So, if AD is going to add more features they might as well be ones that are actually usefull, instead of more iCloud BS.

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 53 of 138
jletcher

Guess you don't know why they are going to the cloud...

I will give you a little heads up soon you will not have to load Inventor you will go to the cloud to use it no more local Inventor.....

Message 54 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: jletcher

Yeah I know about their crack pipe in the clouds plan... [eye roll]

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 55 of 138
dan_inv09
in reply to: RyanBotha

I'm not sure what all of these are but I figured it'd be better to go through them all then to cut out one or two, the hole note one is the one that prompted me to reply

• Dragging leader with Part Priority on does not snap to part edge

?

• Being able to dimension break view line

But if it's in a sketch like a section view line - I don't know if they've figured out how to fix sketches in break views yet

• Different detail view shapes, that can be dimensioned to part sketches, or even use part sketches

Yes, definitely

• Automated centrelines on only certain parts in a view

not sure how that would work

• Window multiselect CL to resize them together

What, kind of like aligning balloons of something?

• Auto CL does not recognize derived parts, i.e. iParts (flanges)

Oh, you do not want to get me started on detailing derived parts and iParts

• Tangent edges on selected parts only

like they did for hidden, yes

• Lock dimensions that are aligned

is that when you drag some dimensions the ones that were aligned aren't when you're done?

• Snap radius dims to other radius dims

I don't know what you mean, would this be something like needing multiple leaders on a radius dim?

• Dimension to a sketch symbol

is this like not making models for stickers and nameplates?

• Use part properties and values in sketch symbols

somebody said they could do something like this, but have you tried "Override Shape" to use your sketched symbol as a balloon?

• Align sketch symbols with better grip control

is this just the extra click because it can't intuitively switch connection points?

• When copy/paste symbols, I don’t want to deselect the view first

(most of my symbols are for the whole drawing, I don't need to copy symbols attached to views so I've never seen that)

• Link part parameters in the Hole Notes, i.e. PCD

when you right click, in addition to "Edit Hole Note" there is "Text" which brings up the regular text dialog where you can do all that. It would be very nice if you didn't have to leave the hole note dialog to get to it - it would be best if the hole note was in a regular text dialog with the hole stuff (tap, c'bore etc.) available like they did with the view labels etc.

• Add Vertex to leader to open space (i.e., not model edge)

are you pointing at nothing or would it be even better if leaders would recognize a part without going to an edge?

• When editing leader text / normal text, centre the text in the editing window

this is just sloppy implementation of the text dialog, it falls into the category of "ain't never worked but close enough that they will never never ever consider fixing it" that some of us were trying to steer this thread towards near the beginning

Message 56 of 138
dan_inv09

I think they want neither point to be the center.

Message 57 of 138
dan_inv09

I was thinking if you could make a part then put it in an assembly (by itself) and bend it one way and another assembly with it bent the other way instead of having to derive then you would have the flat part and all it's properties available.

Message 58 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: dan_inv09

@dan_inv09 wrote:

I think they want neither point to be the center.

Then wouldn't that be a three point circle?

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 59 of 138
kstate92

I think they mean like in AutoCAD (the name that not must be spoken):

Two Point.png

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 60 of 138
mrattray
in reply to: kstate92

Ah, forgot about that one. I don't think I ever even used it in ACAD, center radius and three point were always good for me. Why would he need it in Inventor I wonder...

I thought it was the, uh, non-liquid-that-doesn't-work that is the one that must not be named...

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report