Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 What's New

83 REPLIES 83
Message 1 of 84
jdits7
10747 Views, 83 Replies

Inventor 2014 What's New

Here is a quick rundown of What's New in Inventor 2014

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2013/03/inventor-2014-whats-new.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Tags (1)
83 REPLIES 83
Message 81 of 84
SeanFarr
in reply to: Bill.Schmid

I came up with roughly the same values, 6-7 years off subscription to get full value based on new full purchase price vs subscription. This is the genius marketing by Autodesk. That time period is in my opinion double the amount of years you want to keep one version. After 3-4 years new software and new hardware is almost a must.

Sure there is tech support, and yada yada, but when it comes down to it...If you have a great workstation and a full suite of software, is there any reason why you need stay on subscription besides the value of cost?

I understand, who doesn't want the newest, fastest, better of anything, but always having the newest release for "supposedly" fixed bugs etc etc...along with new features such as slots or center point rectangles isn't going to make any company millions. If i am wrong here, please inform me with some actual data.

When it comes down to it, users currently on 2013 or 2014 now, if you were forced to not upgrade for 3-4 years, would you still be able to do your job? still create perfect models and drawings?  I think the answer is yes. I hear repeatedly, the comment about making your company profits by staying current, but I don't think there is any actual data to prove this. just another marketing term passed along??

I guess the other major factor of being on subscription is be able to activate an offsite computer, but there is work arounds if you must work from home or offsite. With the speed of networking these days anything is possible.

It is all in the perspective of wants vs needs i figure. And Autodesk does of good job giving us one option.

Sean Farr
Product Designer at TESInc.ca

Inventor Professional 2014-Update 2 - AutoCAD Electrical 2014
Win7-x64 | ASUS P8Z77-V | i7 3770 -3.4 GHz | 32GB RAM |
240GB SSD | nVidia GTX 670 4GB - 320.49
Message 82 of 84
ChrisVandeVoorde
in reply to: SeanFarr

There is more added in Inventor beside the slot's... It is true, 80% of the new things are not really usefull. But that 20% really makes us work faster. If I look at the last few years we had some great boost's in productivity.

In 2014 the new copy paste method is enough for us to make a profit on the subscription. really this is huge for us!. before we had the ilogic component placements, the realistic view in Inventor, showcase, drawingviews that generate and you can work on, ...

This is stuff that aided us in working faster. For other company's, other functionality will aid in working faster. I'm sure in the huge set of improvements, new features and programs there is something for everybody.

It up to you how to look at, I look at the 20% that can help me. Other here are wining about the 80% that can't help them and ignore the useful 20%...

Message 83 of 84
spackle42
in reply to: karthur1

I'm trying to find out whether there are any significant changes to the stress analysis and other simulation packages.  We've just updated to 2014 and I'd like to get myself up to speed with these tools.  I've looked online and it seems that the books by Wasin Younis are the gold standard on these topics but he's only released books for the 2013 version.  Would these be suitable, or are there any other titles that you would recommend?

Justin Smith

Inventor Pro 2015 SP1
HP Z400 Workstation
Intel Xeon W3565 @ 3.20GHz
12Gb RAM
Win 7 64 Pro SP1
Spacepilot Pro v3.17.4
Message 84 of 84
blair
in reply to: spackle42

Generally it takes a bit for the 2014 books to hit the market. Most of the books are put together by people beta testing. This gives them an earlier crack at the software. For most parts Younis's books would still be relevant for the 2014 release.

Probably the biggest change would be Joints in Inventor assembly instead of Constraints. The Joints will carry over into Dynamic Sim enviroment.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report