Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 What's New

83 REPLIES 83
Message 1 of 84
jdits7
10731 Views, 83 Replies

Inventor 2014 What's New

Here is a quick rundown of What's New in Inventor 2014

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2013/03/inventor-2014-whats-new.html

jdits7
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Blog - http://www.inventortopix.com
Twitter - @InventorTopixJD
Tags (1)
83 REPLIES 83
Message 21 of 84
ampster402
in reply to: jletcher

now you're going down that path.  Why?

I'm not the one complaining - which is the part that is getting extremely old.

Message 22 of 84
jletcher
in reply to: ampster402

Did you forget you posted this:

Not trying to rub you wrong James, but isn't it clear it's outta here?

What was the latest version you could revert back to the Classic menu thru Application Options?  2011?  Or was it 2012?

The version after that, you could modify the registry manually to get the classic back.

The next version, if I understood correctly, you can no longer modify the registry to use the classic menu.

I know your position James.  For myself, I've forced myself to learn it and it isn't that bad.  Extra click here or there, but I can live with it.  After all, software will always be in a state of flux and constantly changing.  Better to adapt.

When it comes to AutoCAD however, I'm sticking with the classic menu.  When I receive support calls and the client is using the ribbon interface, aka 2D drafting & annotation, I stumble quite a bit trying to figure things out.  I wish Acad had the command locator thing like Inventor does.

But to keep bringing this up version after version?  Really?

Back on topic, thanks for the link and am looking forward to the final document.

So I did not go down that path you did...

Message 23 of 84
ChrisVandeVoorde

I like the ribbon interface. Much faster then the old icons. Pure maths:

Speed of working with Inventor (Si) = time clicking (Tc) + time searching a function(Ts) + time lost not using the correct function( because you didn't know it existed!) (Tl)

In short: Si = Tc + Ts + Tl

Ribbon verso classic:

Tc(ribbon ) > Tc (classic)

Ts(ribbon ) <<< Ts (classic)

Tl (ribbon ) <<<<<< Tl (classic)

End conclusion:

Si (ribbon) >>>>> Si (classic)

Sidenote 1 : I'm not talking about autoCAD (I don't use it, so I can't mix in the debate).

Sidenote 2 : based on actual experience with new users and power users. Not just one individual opinion

Sidenote 3 : This equation shale from now on be called: "The exaction of Chris" 🙂

Message 24 of 84
jletcher
in reply to: ChrisVandeVoorde

So you are saying in new interface there are more clicks and this equals less time..

Because with new interface there are more clicks not less..

Wow can you do my taxes...

Message 25 of 84
ChrisVandeVoorde

Look at the equation. Offcourse you lose time by some extra clicks. But tis is nothing compared to the time gained in learning inventor faster / becoming a power user.

And if you have ever used the classic Interface you should be working long enough with Inventor to build custom VBA macro's to fasten things up or at least use and adapt the keyboard shortcuts for everything.

Message 26 of 84

Say what? Smiley Frustrated

Product Design & Manufacturing Collection 2024
Sometimes you just need a good old reboot.
Message 27 of 84
blair

I've been using IV since release 4, I can say that I found the "Classic" to be faster, less clicks to get things done. The "Ribbon" is easier for people to learn.

WIth seeing the "Ribbon" being released in Micro-Soft products and IV, it became apparent that this was not going away, so I had to change my ways and adapt/adopt. Using a SpacePilot and SpacePilot Pro, I set my device up with the common buttons/commands anyways.

It's still better than the "blue" icons they let us test, made you fill nice and "smurffy" all over.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 28 of 84
ampster402

Enough already.

I-give-up.jpg

Message 29 of 84
jletcher

I WANT MY CLASSIC..

Sorry if this upsets you....

Message 30 of 84
inov8works

I've used Inventor since V5.3 and other than a slight learning curve never had any issues with adapting to the ribbon interface. Never even gave it much thought really. At the end of the day my designs & drawings are what matter. I'd hate my job if I spent all my time nitpicking software.

No software is perfect for everybody, never will be.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 31 of 84
jletcher
in reply to: inov8works

I guess you need to read my post before commenting.

I know the ribbon I know where everything is what I hate is the 3 extra clicks I have to do.

To me when you add clicks you just cost me time and money.

just give the option I have no problem with you liking the ribbon.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 32 of 84
blair

I'll give you my "Classic Inventor Interface" when you pry it from my cold dead hands.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 33 of 84
jletcher
in reply to: blair

I wish it could be that way....

Wonder if I could get congress to pass me a classic bill...... LOL

Message 34 of 84

Guess I'm in the minority here, I actually like the ribbon moreso than the classic menus and I have far more time on the classic menus than the ribbons.

I find them much easier and quicker to work with, but then again I'm not one to sit and count clicks, especially if it's sporatic at best.

For the most part I feel the ribbon lends to less clicking around the screen as commands are more closely grouped in the ribbons, plus you can modify them to your likeing which maybe that's where I don't see the issues of all this "clicking" claims???

Granted, it took a bit to get used to but I don't see this kind of complaining when Windows went to the very same interface, thus leading to Inventor moving to it as well.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 35 of 84

So if windows goes out of business so can Autodesk.. LOL

Just being funny. You know when your dad says well if Sam jumps of the bridge are you going to follow...

And no a few like the ribbon I guess you all just had to see me and my classic to understand trying to describe it seems not to be working..

I was 5 times faster with it now I have to click this to get that click back to get that click this that that this.

In my classic everything was on one panel bar no changing tabs. The panel followed my mouse if I hit F8 hit F8 the panel stopped so it was no further then an inch from my cursor.

You really just had to watch me to understand..

Message 36 of 84

Jim, it's got nothing to do with the Sam jumping off the bridge deal. But Autodesk obviously saw where menus were heading and followed suit. Can't say I blame them. The menus make more sense now when it comes to similar commands or complementary commands.

As far as menus, I use dual monitors and have all of my menus undocked and on the other monitor, leaving the main monitor as my graphics window. I also customize my menus to how I use them, I assume you do the same, if not, why not? I would think that if you did customize them to your specific use/needs, a lot of the aggravation would go away. I know it did for me (as it did for many other users I've had do the same thing).

Remember, the menus weren't 100% customizable until recently, so it's gotten much better.

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Message 37 of 84

I know about 10,000 people that hate it in windows.

But I am not going back and forth with all that disagree with me.

I love the classic all I ask is an option to go to it that is all.

And you all make it like I want the ribbon out no you can keep it but let me keep my classic...

Message 38 of 84
jason_bush

For the love Autodesk...please give these people their classic menus back.

jbush
Message 39 of 84

...and I want my drawing board back....

New EE Logo.PNG

Jim

Message 40 of 84

And I sort of feel like there's about 10 years of my life somewhere along the way that I wasted.  Autodesk, can you give those back to me as well?

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report