Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 - Temporary files

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Driesdaniels
10596 Views, 28 Replies

Inventor 2014 - Temporary files

Hi, 

I recently changed from Autodesk Inventor 2013 to 2014 and I have a problem with my temporary files.. 

Every second inventor makes temporary files at this location (C:\Users\DriesD\AppData\Local\Temp) until my free space of around 20GB is full, sometimes I have to clean up my temp folder 2 times before it opens a drawing. ( It then deletes the around 26GB of temp files ???!!) 

temp.JPG

It creates a folder Proteinrun that contains almost all of the garbage .. I checked my Application options, but I used exactly the same settings as I did in 2013 and the problem doesn't occur there. I also tried to reinstall inventor, but it doesn't help me. 

1.JPG

Can someone please help me, it really slows down my work a lot and none of my colleagues knows how to solve this problem?

PC gegevens.JPG

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29

Hi Grtz, When Inentor is running, some PNG files will be cached in the temp folder for dynamic previews of customized appearances. The file amount depends on how many customized appearances are used in the dataset. But these files should be deleted after exit Inventor (of couse, you may notice some empty folders still remained there, which is a known issue). Glad to know you have found the reason (customized appearances plus virus). Let me know please if you still have problem with the temp folder issue. Thanks, Michael

Michael-Zengxu Zhang
Software Engineer
Inventor Development Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 22 of 29

Grtz,

Inventor does indeed create those folders/files for all of the non-standard appearances you are using in your assembly. If you have a huge assembly you could see a temporary file/folder for each component in the assembly.

The real concern is why the disk is filling up - that shouldn't happen. Just wondering if there is something getting out of sync with Inventor due to the high speed of file/folder creation/access on the SSD. As a test, if you redirect your Inventor temp files to a non-SSD folder location, you will still see many files/folders being created for the same assembly but the disk should not be filled - can you confirm that ?

Thanks
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 23 of 29
mcgyvr
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

Just some info...

second day after I've deleted everything in the proteinrun folder...

All the files created yesterday are gone.. It just left 3 folders.. The main mgr40_xxx folder and inside that the .copy folder and the deserializexxxx folder.

And today a new mgr40_xxx folder is there and inside that are 184 files and 18 folders..

seems to be "working as expected" I guess.. its cleaning out the files/folders when Inventor is closed. No problems with it filling up my SSD though.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 24 of 29
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Driesdaniels

Hi Grtz, It's not so sure that the temp size which nearly 20GB which mainly caused by Inventor, besides, attempts were made in my side with large assembly data, still no luck to have the same situation as yours. Echo Michael's comments, the size for temp should not be that large. The most probably reason like to be some large hidden data (invisible) is created in the temp by Virus or something else. Could you help turn on “Hidden files and folders” option to “Show hidden files, folders, and drivers” to make sure that there is no “ghost” files in it. By the way, is there any possible to get the size for each folder, such as “Proteinrun” for more investigation?

Xun
Message 25 of 29

Hi

I can confirm that I had the same effect when I stored my Undo Folder on an onther drive 😃 but like I already posted before I think it was the combination of creating the folder by Inventor en filling the folder by a virus 😃

Grtz

Message 26 of 29
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Driesdaniels

Hello Grtz, It's pretty clear for us, thank you so much for your confirmation. So we can close the topic here, do you agree?

Xun
Message 27 of 29
Driesdaniels
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Hi,

Yes I agree to close the topic, thanks everybody for there help !

Kind regards

Dries

Message 28 of 29

Hello Grtz:

This problem has surfaced in our enviornment with the Autodesk Suite 2015.

Do you remember if you recall the name of the malware that Malwarebytes detected?

I am using just the free version and running a scan now.

We have the exact problem as you did back 1 year ago with the proteinrun folder.

Any support informaiton is highly appreciated.

Thank you

Jim C.

Message 29 of 29
mcgyvr
in reply to: JIMCONWAY2531

Its not caused by malware..

Its a BUG in Inventor that still hasn't been fixed/addressed "properly"

Well maybe not classified a bug just "poor implementation/improper purging that is leading to massive temp file sizes"

Many programs write to the temp files and leave stuff there.. Inventor is just doing MUCH more/saving more than other programs so it causes these problems.

Its all related to users who have custom material/apperance libraries.

Temp folders are created with image files,etc...but not deleted properly on occasion.

It seems many of the image files are delete but many are not.

My protein run folder current consists of  (all from Inventor 2015 too)

18,738 Files, 3,866 Folders and 520Mb of data... 

of which 490Mb of that is from 2014

The solution for now IMO is to just routinely delete all the folders in the temp folder every now and then until Autodesk fixes the problem (which could take forever).

FWIW I have a SSD drive (as I see that was mentioned as a possible "issue")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report