Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Stress Analysis bug/defect?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
cyberider
362 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor 2014 Stress Analysis bug/defect?

Look at the Safety Factor results. The only thing I have changed between the two simulations is adding a lot more load points. All Force vectors you see are exactly the same force value (5000N).

The more load (stress) I add the "safer" this same design gets... how is that possible?

Stringer_Simulation_3.PNG

Stringer_Simulation_5.PNG

Note: I have all the latest updates for Inventor 2014. I have SP2 and Update 3 installed and inventor says my software is up to date. However Inventor replies back to my crash reports that I should install SP2 to solve my crashes even though the crash reports say I have SP2 installed.

This forum restricts file uploads to <5MB. So I cannot use the upload. Instead I put the 19MB zip file in my public dropbox folder:

Zipped 19MB files

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
raviburla
in reply to: cyberider

Hi,

I looked into the model you had attached. Here are my observations:

Simulation3:

This has 3 active forces each with magnitude of 5000 N along -ve y direction => Net load of 15000 N .

Simulation5:

This has 1 active force with a magnitude of 6000N along -ve y direction. Net load is 6000 N. 

Since the net load applied in Simulation3 is more than that of Simulation5, the safety factor is lower. Also, please note that when a force P is applied on N-number of faces, then the load will be distributed on these faces based on their areas and the net force applied will be P.

Please let us know if you have more questions/concerns.

Thanks!

Ravi Burla (Autodesk)

Ravi Burla
Sr. Principal Research Engineer
Message 3 of 3
cyberider
in reply to: raviburla

Right you are! I didn't realize it was dividing my force by how many vectors load points I had. I thought it was my force times the number of load points. So I have re-run the simulation at 35000N (7 steps x 5000N) and get a result I would expect.

Stringer_Simulation_5_solved.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report