Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 SP1 doesn't let you paste with the constraints tool open

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
pball
767 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor 2014 SP1 doesn't let you paste with the constraints tool open

I used to paste parts all the time while the constraints tool was open which made for a good work flow when I had to insert a lot of the same part. I just updated to SP1 and whenever I paste a part the constraint tool closes now.

Anyone else notice this or did no one notice/use the ability to paste parts while constraining?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
SteveMDennis
in reply to: pball

This was purposely removed because several users were crashing under this workflow. You were lucky that you were not crashing.
Paste is a command and with a few exceptions Inventor commands are not "stackable", especially commands that modify the design (not just viewing commands, etc.)

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 12
mcgyvr
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Sadly (very sadly) Inventor never implemented a "good" way to place and constrain multiples of the same part...

This addin however is EXACTLY what you need and EXACTLY what Autodesk should have implemented YEARS ago.. Its well worth the $25 money.. (but there is a trial too)

http://www.kwikmcad.com/icode/KWiKSert_64/KWiKSert_64.aspx

I even offered a suggestion on how to implement that functionality into the constraint tool but they never went for it..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 12
pball
in reply to: mcgyvr

Well I'll mourn the loss of this unintended feature as I never had issues with it.

I actually thought about making a vba macro to quickly insert many parts easily but when I asked here no one had any good leads on how to do it, so I put that idea aside. Sadly I doubt my company would buy us anything else. It took forever for two of us to get second monitors and don't get me started about when we asked for 3D mice.
Message 5 of 12
karthur1

Steven,

I have used this workflow since Inventor R4. As far as I know, I have NEVER had a crash using the paste command with the constraint tool open. This is a tool  that I use very often and I would be upset to see it go just because a few people were having problems crashing. You can't just start commands OUT (either intentional or not)!!

I am a little confused because I just tried the workflow and it still works.  I am using R2014, Update2.  I also went to the support page and noticed that there is only Update1 for 2014 Sp1.  Was update 2 pulled for some reason?

Kirk

Message 6 of 12
Martin_Goodland
in reply to: karthur1

If you are on 2014 Update 2 you have not yet installed SP1 which is why it still works. There is now also an Update 1 for SP1.

I also used the paste option while in the constraint command on a daily basis for years and cannot remember ever crashing while doing it.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 7 of 12

I use to paste all the time when I was constraining parts ..especially fasteners ... It's a same

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
pball
in reply to: karthur1

The updates can be a tad confusing.

2014 -> Update 1 -> Update 2 -> SP1 -> Update 1 for SP1
Message 9 of 12
SteveMDennis
in reply to: pball

OK guys don't shoot the messenger.

We had many many customers having a problem with this workflow. This workflow violated our intended design of Inventor. So we removed it. I don't see it coming back.

BUT, when you were using this workflow were you pasting the same component multiple times and constraining it?

This I could probably work into the constraint and/or place workflow (No I have never seen Kwiksert but I am familiar with the ideas).

If this is a very common workflow then we need to formalize that workflow not allow it to be supported by chance.

Is this specific idea on IdeaStation already?

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 12
pball

Well I found one entry in the idea station that appears to be what we are looking for.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Select-several-occurences-of-a-part-constrain/idi...

Comment #2 is a really simple and good explanation I feel. Though this idea goes beyond the simple pasting parts while constraining them, which I started this thread about. But being able to constrain multiple parts in a similar manner with less clicks would be awesome.
Message 11 of 12
karthur1

Steve,

You being a Sr. Principal Engineer, you are more than just a "messenger".Smiley Wink

I can't emphaize enough how important this command it to our workflow.  I do have the kwiksert on a few machines, but some others we have not purchased the license for it and the users use the paste tool while in the constraint command.  The alternative is to just paste sevaral instances of the component and then start the constraint command.  It just make it so much easier when you are zoomed in on an area and paste the item there.  Otherwise, there is a bunch of zooming in/out just to place the component (mostly fasteners) becasue at times, they are inserted in several places around the assembly.

I can't believe that this was removed in a SP after it had been around for so long. However, I would be happy if something was worked into the constraint command to help with placing the same item multiple times (that is long overdue).

Thanks,

Kirk

Message 12 of 12

I still use 2013 and pasting with the constraints tool open is something I do on a regular basis. Having a button on my 3D mouse set for paste and another for accept makes it go even faster.
Using Inventor 2022 on Windows 10

Ideas needing support: spur gear tooth profile, rack gears generator

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report