Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Pro slow response

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
cwreeves
292 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2014 Pro slow response

How do I improve the performance of my Inventor when using large quantities of unique parts?

Sorry, no way to shrink wrap myself out of this one...do I need a hardware or settings solution?

System Manufacturer -  Dell Inc.
Model -  Precision WorkStation T7500
Total amount of system memory -  4.00 GB RAM
System type  64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 8
Storage :
Total size of hard disk(s) 298 GB
Disk partition (C:)  170 GB Free (298 GB Total) Media drive

(D:)  CD/DVD Graphics Display adapter type;
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.1)
Total available graphics memory  2302 MB
       Dedicated graphics memory  512 MB
       Dedicated system memory  0 MB
       Shared system memory  1790 MB Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8593
Secondary monitor resolution  1920x1200
Primary monitor resolution  1280x1024
DirectX version -  DirectX 10

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tmoney2007
in reply to: cwreeves

Lots more ram to start out with. Your video card is reserving 1790 mb of your 4gb or ram. That only leaves 2gb and change to run your operating system, any other programs you have open and Inventor. Picking up 12gb (I think your computer is triple channel) shouldn't be too expensive and then you should have more than enough.

Maybe a video card if the ram doesn't help you out enough. You'll have to define "large number" for us to be able to tell if you really need a new video card. 

Hard disk performance can affect the amount of time that it takes to open files, but once they are open it won't.  So if it is taking a very long time to open things, the last thing you may want to do is invest in an SSD.  Even the new traditional HDD's might be a good bit faster than the one in there. This would probably be the last thing I try though.

Message 3 of 5
mdavis22569
in reply to: tmoney2007

I'd have to agree with TMoney: Start with some RAM ...4gb is on the low side now a days. I run 16gb (2 8 sticks) .. however see what your Motherboard limits are. I'd then look at a SSD as well. But they can be a tad expensive in some companies eyes. Video Cards .. I don't know what you model or how large your assemblies are. So I'll leave this to others for debate.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
cwreeves
in reply to: tmoney2007

Thanks, I am working this and will get back with the result!
Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: cwreeves

Hi! The RAM seems little to me. I would get 8GB at least for a 64-bit machine. But, it is hard to tell where the problem is without seeing the dataset. How many unique parts you have? And, how complex the geometry is? Are most of them imported geometry? If possible, I would like to take a look at the model. Please send me an email. I can set up a secure account for you to upload.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report