Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Linux?

69 REPLIES 69
Message 1 of 70
ehrgangm
23294 Views, 69 Replies

Inventor 2014 Linux?

Inventor 2014 will support Linux?

69 REPLIES 69
Message 41 of 70
sanabriaerik
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Actually Pixar and Dreamworks use an off the shelve ditribution called Red Hat Enterprise Linux for workstations which gives them unlimited RAM (not like windows) virus free (not like windows).

And in case you didn't know OpenGL runs on every device, from cell phones to cars, to supercomputers to windows to mac and to Linux.

We Linux users are at least open minded and know that Microsoft isn't the only operating system out there. 

And its in the hands of the software developers to inovate and evolve from windows. What happens if windows goes bankrupt? All software runs on it. You can't put all your eggs in one basket. And why did they port AutoCad to Mac? Just for fun? Mac is based on Linux and since AutoCad and Inventor both have the same Geometric Kernel. Porting from Mac to Linux shouldn't be that hard since obviously Mac doesn't have DirectX. 

Message 42 of 70
LT.Rusty
in reply to: sanabriaerik

@sanabriaerik wrote:

Actually Pixar and Dreamworks use an off the shelve ditribution called Red Hat Enterprise Linux for workstations which gives them unlimited RAM (not like windows) virus free (not like windows).

And in case you didn't know OpenGL runs on every device, from cell phones to cars, to supercomputers to windows to mac and to Linux.

We Linux users are at least open minded and know that Microsoft isn't the only operating system out there. 

And its in the hands of the software developers to inovate and evolve from windows. What happens if windows goes bankrupt? All software runs on it. You can't put all your eggs in one basket. And why did they port AutoCad to Mac? Just for fun? Mac is based on Linux and since AutoCad and Inventor both have the same Geometric Kernel. Porting from Mac to Linux shouldn't be that hard since obviously Mac doesn't have DirectX. 

I know there are other OS' out there.  I flirted with Red Hat and Ubuntu, and I spent a lot of time messing with proprietary HPUX stuff back in the military.  I've used MacOS, too.  I simply don't have a compelling reason to get away from Windows.

So OpenGL runs on other stuff.  So what?  It doesn't change the fact that using Direct3D instead of OpenGL allows Inventor to work WELL on a larger variety of video hardware than it could when it used OpenGL.  It doesn't change the fact that I now have to spend less money to upgrade my workstations than when we used Solidworks.

And ... Windows?  Go bankrupt?  Please explain exactly how you see that happening?  

Rusty

EESignature

Message 43 of 70
yoshimitsuspeed

T

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Oh please.

That page lists 30 items, sure.  ONE of them - only a single solitary one - is describing generic desktop computing ... and that one is extremely non-specific.  It says - and I quote - "Though a little late, Linux made a notable presence in the desktop computing market. In school and academics as well as in government offices Linux are being widely used, these days."

Virtually everything else on that list is talking about servers or embedded devices / systems.

Again - show me (or rather show Autodesk) the numbers.  If you can show them that they'll guaranteed gain several thousand new seats, or that they'll guaranteed lose several thousand existing seats, then you'll get some attention.

That was just the first link at the top of a Goole search. I could pull up dozens more but you could also if you really cared and didn't just want to talk smack.

http://www.comparebusinessproducts.com/fyi/50-places-linux-running-you-might-not-expect

http://it-tactics.blogspot.com/2011/07/why-companies-do-not-use-linux-on.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/201731/10_reasons_to_dump_windows_and_use_linux.html

http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit010.html

Like I said Autodesks interest in supporting Linux is not going to be because of an immediate 20% increase in sales. There sure as hell isn't any easy way that could be proven even if that market was there but I am sure currently it's not.
Where that market will be created is in the future. An existing company isn't likely to switch over to linux but more and more new companies, startups and so on likely would if there software needs were met.
The funny thing is that the Linux threads are the most popular ongoing and frequently posted in threads of any I am subscribed to in the autodesk forums yet people still insist there is not enough interest.
WIll creating Linux versions pay themselves off in the first year? Probably not. In the first 5? I would hope so. But like I said before it would be a long term strategy. If Linux keeps growing at the rate it is there will be an increasing market share and if in 5 years Autodesk was known as being the company that took the big leap to support LInux then that will be repaid in customer support for Autodesk.
On the other hand if everyone gets to know Onshape as being the company that really broke into the mid level linux market first, best and hardest then they will clean up that market.
At that point people like me will have to decide if they want to begrudgingly keep giving Autodesk my money even though they never lifted a finger to work with me or do I switch over to Onshape or whatever other company has chosen to support the OS that I want to run?
New customers won't even have to think. They will just go with the software that works on their chosen OS.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1229995573786339/
Message 44 of 70

Everyone,

I suggest that any "suggestion" on the future of Inventor be posted in the Inventor Idea station ( if its not already there. If so then vote!) for review and voting.

The endless debate of preferred OS's can go on forever so to each their own.

Ok so eveyone back to thier OS corner and do not come out fighting Smiley Happy

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 45 of 70

So you are saying that we shouldn't be able to discuss the topic and keep a dialog going on the subject?
I'm sure everyone here who has spoken up about wanting linux options but none of those idea station posts have much of any interaction from Autodesk or any recognition that there are in fact a decent number of people asking for this.
At least getting people talking about it keeps the topic visible and lets autodesk know that we are still here and we still want to be recognized and addressed.
I don't think anyone here is arguing about what OS is best and I'm sorry if you have taken it that way.
I couldn't care less what OS you want to use, I just want to be able to use the OS that I want to use.

I am just trrying to point out that most of the arguments people pose for it not being a practical option are invalid.
There are ways to use programming tools that allow easy cross platform inplimentation. Heck reading a little about Mono it sounds like developers could even stay with .net and still easily impliment it cross platform.
I don't know enough about the subject to argue if opengl is better overall or for this application than directx but it is an option and a very good one.
If Autodesk wanted to they could start trying to take an approach that made it easier to go cross platform. There are options and there are ways to do it that shouldn't be too hard especially if you planned it from the begining or at least planned it into a long term strategy.

If linux users felt like they were being listened to I think it would be easier for people to sit back and let the idea station do it's thing but on this topic no one seems to care so I have felt inspired to speak my mind and make my presence felt anywhere I can to make it known that this is something that is important to me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1229995573786339/
Message 46 of 70
GalaxG64

Hi there,

I would want to add the following to your comment,

It may be true, that service support and tested and approved drivers are a mayor problem under Linux. On the other hand it I want to speak up far all the good and dedicated people working on the gnu project. It is highly disrespectful of you to depict them as anonymos people living in there mothers basement, becaus they are not and spreading this kind of talk about them is one of the things responsible for the distrust of the "certified" kind of people who think that having a service contract will solve all of there problems. But fact is, that moast of the code written and compiled by those people actually surpasses comparable products of the comercial branch. And the sole reason for that is, that these pieces of software where moastly written not becaus it was their yob but because they wantetd to solve a problem the best way possible. And Linux is a great example of that. You may not have a certified technition in 1 hour on site, but you will have a comunity of people around the globe willing and able to help you.

Message 47 of 70
JDMather
in reply to: GalaxG64

Just giving back to the community - click this button for spelling help (see image below)

Spelling.png

I haven't done coding in this century, but in the last century syntax of code was even more critical than conversational writing.

Also, I should point out that "there mothers" is not the same as "their mother's".

Again - just offering the community help you champion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 48 of 70
GalaxG64
in reply to: JDMather

I know that I cant Spell, but thanks for the reminder.Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 70
BarryZA
in reply to: GalaxG64

Sometimes when I am designing I have to remind myself to shower and eat. So yes, I can understand the spelling thing! I am a big believer in choice and that we, the consumer, have far more capacity to effect change than we admit.

What would happen if we all said "I will not buy another car that runs on internal combustion" How much longer would they continue to make these dinosaurs?

Keep it up Galax.

Message 50 of 70
LT.Rusty
in reply to: ehrgangm

Since there's the idea that the community can do a better job of code development and support than a well-paid dev team floating around, I think Randall from XKCD must have been reading this thread before posting today's comic ...

Rusty

EESignature

Message 51 of 70
csf2618
in reply to: blair

i am running linux on my desktop right now wondering why you dont support the most widley used family of operating systems world-wide

when you can get a really good start on it by copying your mac sourcecode and compile it in linux

Message 52 of 70
pball
in reply to: csf2618

There is not a Mac version of Inventor. Also Windows is the most widely used OS in industries where CAD is done. I'm not going to say more since this thread and another half dozen or more beat this dead horse enough.

P.S.

This is a user forum and Autodesk staff don't always see and respond to threads here. If you really want to pitch an idea make an idea station post or search for an existing one and vote for it.

Message 53 of 70
csf2618
in reply to: pball

sorry i knew there was auto-cad for mac i did noot realize autodesk hadnt gotten around to creating a mac version of inventor but what languages does inventor use

Message 54 of 70
blair
in reply to: csf2618

Inventor only runs on Windows, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. Possibly on XP but don't hold your breath.

You can get Fusion 360 in a Mac version.

You can run either Boot Camp, Parrelles or VM Fusion but either way Inventor is running in/on a Windows O/S.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 55 of 70
T8R
Explorer
in reply to: pball

It's not just market share. It's lack of competition for that market share. If no one supports Linux, no one else has to support linux to compete for your business. The stalemate saves developement cost. If one begins supporting linux, and it picks up enough of a following... they all will. If Solid Works started supporting linux tomorrow, I'd make the switch and they'd have my business later the same day. Yes, it's a dead horse, but good to bring up once in awhile so that software developers don't forget about us.
Message 56 of 70
ccompagnon
in reply to: T8R

The Linux poor market share is BECAUSE you don't develop software for it.

You can see movies studio using Linux beacause Maya develop software.

You have political concerns to not develop software for Linux, stop treating us as stupids.

Hopefully we can now Virtualize Fusion and Inventor with decent performance.

Or use web Onshape with LinuxCNC that is a complete replacement for your solutions.

cheers

Message 57 of 70

@ccompagnon wrote:

...Or use web Onshape with LinuxCNC that is a complete replacement for your solutions.

cheers

That sounds like the smart move to me.

So what is the problem?

Message 58 of 70
rwenk2
in reply to: ccompagnon

BINGO!

We've been using Linux machines here at Talco for various non-server functions for about 12 years now.  We started with Redhat / Fedora and are now using Ubuntu.  My second engineering station runs Ubuntu through which i can run a legacy MAC  Cad system to access old design files.

If Inventor were available for any flavor of Linux, I would reformat our main workstations and get rid of Windows in a heartbeat.  I've had to install third party blocking software to prevent Windows from automatically "upgrading" to 10.  What an abomination 10 is!

Please please please please compile and release Inventor for Linux!  Also, why do we need to have MS Office installed to access the thread tables?  Why not go with something free and neutral like OpenOffice if needed?

Message 59 of 70
JDMather
in reply to: rwenk2

@rwenk2 wrote:

.. i can run a legacy 

http://projectleopard.com/

BINGO!

The cloud man.  The cloud!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 60 of 70
pnvsaivishal98

finally could you tell me whether it would work on linux

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report