Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 Linux?

69 REPLIES 69
Message 1 of 70
ehrgangm
23324 Views, 69 Replies

Inventor 2014 Linux?

Inventor 2014 will support Linux?

69 REPLIES 69
Message 21 of 70
swalton
in reply to: Anonymous

Windows 8 Pro is what $200 at retail?

Product Design Suite is $5000 to $10000 retail, depending on version.  What does annual maintenance run? 10%- 20% of purchase price?

PC to run the software $2000-$3000 or more.

Salary and Benefits for the Engineer/Designer who uses the software?

OS cost is a rounding error in budgeting for Autodesk's customers.  Even if you add in the expense of MS Excel, you don't make a significant change in the cost of making a CAD drawing. 

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 22 of 70
Anonymous
in reply to: swalton

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I am underwhealmed by the logic. "I might not get telephone support for a printer that does not support linux - therefore Autodesk should not support linux."

You're twisting this a little bit.

... So are you... 🙂

The availability of service does make for a viable argument, if a bit over stated. No one requested moon cars, only support for an operating system that is gaining market share. I'll try to resist exaggerating if you will.

@dgorsman wrote:
Lets not forget the deliverables either.  If the client is still running Inventor and contractually obligated the engineering company to provide Inventor files, it doesn't matter how cool, fast, or open-source the design software is if you can't deliver them.

Excellent point. At the end of the day... the bottom line... is the bottom line. We use what is required to get the job done, and rarely spend anything that we can somehow avoid. (In this case, developing for an alternate OS without overwhelming proof that there will be profit.)

@swalton wrote:

Windows 8 Pro is what $200 at retail?

Product Design Suite is $5000 to $10000 retail, depending on version.  What does annual maintenance run? 10%- 20% of purchase price?

PC to run the software $2000-$3000 or more.

Salary and Benefits for the Engineer/Designer who uses the software?

OS cost is a rounding error in budgeting for Autodesk's customers.  Even if you add in the expense of MS Excel, you don't make a significant change in the cost of making a CAD drawing. 

True, if you only consider a single workstation. Having an entire office of computers running a free OS and free software begins to make a huge dent in the cost of Product Design Suite running on a handful of CAD workstations though. Short of building an office from scratch, it would take the life cycle of all the computers in the office to see the benefit, making the argument academic.

Our drafting workstations aren't used for accounting either, so availability of design and rendering software we already use would be enough to make the switch on drafting workstations. It would be enough to run linux on any CAD station we build from the date that Linux support was offered.

Unfortunately, it will likely take more than the polite request of a handful of designers and engineers to convince Autodesk to shell out the development cost. That doesn't change the fact that - if given the choice, we'd rather be able to run Autodesk products on linux.

Message 23 of 70
Anonymous

The onset of cloud based (360) software with a web friendly client side app is a step in roughly the right direction, but then again for all I know it could be with riddled with MS dependencies.

I'm all for platform agnostic computing but I don't expect autodesk to push out a nix version anytime soon.
I suspect that they would face some android-like fragmentation issues when trying to make sure their nix-package was compatible with all <insert large number here> varieties of *nix being used out there.
and that itself is probably a big enough reason to avoid it at the moment.
Message 24 of 70
yoshimitsuspeed

My whole business runs on Linux.

My whole home runs on Linux.
I am forced to run Windows for CAD/CAM.
If I could afford it I would be running NX on Linux.
If another company develops CAD/CAM for Linux that I like and can afford before Autodesk does I will switch without a second thought.

Linux makes an excelent commercial platform and is used in many big businesses. To talk about market share or any of this other stuff is complete BS.
No body flies around on Unicorns so therefor no one must be interested in flying around on unicorns.
If the software support was there for Linux it would hold a much larger share of the commercial market. In the industries that have software available or more often in the industries where they make their own software to suit there needs it is very powerful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1229995573786339/
Message 25 of 70

Exactly!

We are forced to run Windows by software vendors, instead of us being able to choose our operating system that meats our own requirements!

Linux is also a huge market now. It just needs more software supported on it's platform.

Message 26 of 70
ampster402
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

Autodesk isn't going to plow development time and resources into a non-existant market, nor should they.

Do they realize they are one of the main companies helping to keep this a non-existant market?  If Autodesk would come around, I bet within a matter of 3 yrs Linux would dominate the market.

Set aside all of the existing hurdles of developing and making a Linux port for Inventor, Acad - when it does happen people will be wondering why they stuck with MS considering the performance improvement using a Linux O.S.

Message 27 of 70
Anonymous
in reply to: blair

hmmm... funny discusssion -P

Interesting is, that UG, Catia and ProE can be purchased as Linux-packages. Even all relevant FEA-packages (Ansys, Nastran, Patran, etc) can be bought as Linux-package.

Even all professional CGI-Software can be found as Linux-packages...

I cannot get any relevant reason,why the Autodesk softwares could not be provided as Linux-packages...

greetings...

kippo

Message 28 of 70
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

....I cannot get any relevant reason,why the Autodesk softwares could not be provided as Linux-packages...

kippo

Have you studied economics?

How much of a premium are you willing to pay for a Linux OS version of Inventor? (this is an easy to answer question - simply give a number)

Harder to answer question - what do speculate would be the total market of other users paying a similar premium?  (Or is your goal to have Windows OS version users subsidize the development?)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 29 of 70
sanabriaerik

I guess Autodesk wants to feed Microsofts worldwide monopoly! I want autodesk to take my money, just not microsoft.

Please support the idea for Inventor for Linux here so hopefully someday Autodesk realizes that there isn't only microsoft windows. Strangely enough I have found in wikipedia that the modelling kernel of Inventor can run on windows, mac and Linux though we should take this with a grain of salt.

Message 30 of 70
BarryZA
in reply to: sanabriaerik

O how I miss Ubuntu! I find it much easier on my eyes for one thing (Identical hardware).

And Mark Shuttleworth has just released an Ubuntu phone.

One day we hope, but lets keep going.

Message 31 of 70
blair

Have you priced out the packages/seats that you listed as Linux friendly. The money you saved will more than pay for a Windows O/S license along with a new workstation for Inventor on Windows. 

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 32 of 70
yoshimitsuspeed
in reply to: blair

That's exactly the problem. There is not much for mid range 3D applications for Linux.
There are some FOSS programs like freecad that for community developed software is pretty impressive in capability but it still doesn't have the capability or rate of growth for your average business.
Then there are some mid level 2D programs like librecad and draftsight.
Bricscad seems to be similar to autocad and people who come more from the 2D world seem to like it but if you come from a background of parametric modeling it feels like trading in your car for a horse and carriage. I felt the same way with the coupld other mid level CAD programs.
Not that I like Inventor much more. Just using it waiting till Fusion360 can do everythign I need.

Then you get up to the high end programs that are outside of the budget of most small to medium sized businesses.

Fortunately Onshape will be Linux compatible. I will be keeping an eye on that but they have a long ways to go before they come close to competing with Fusion 360. I'm also already so imbeded into autodesk products that changing again would really suck.

It seems strange to me though that the FOSS/cheap CAD programs are successful on Linux, A couple of high end products still find it worth supporting Linux and yet there is a nearly untapped mid range market that no one seems the least bit interested in.
I won't pretend it would double any ones customer base especially right off the bat but it would put autodesk at the forfront of that oppertunity instead of trying to catch up after software like Onshape starts becoming popular and people start seeing Linux as a viable business operating system.
All that Linux is missing to compete with Windows and Mac is software availability but it is constantly growing and software companies are slowly starting to figure this out and improve product availability unless they are in the big two's pockets which far too many are.
On a business side Autodesk is the only thing holding me back from running soley on linux.

Message 33 of 70

@yoshimitsuspeed wrote:

[...]

On a business side Autodesk is the only thing holding me back from running soley on linux.

You are not the only one!

Still great argument you got there.

Hopefully Autodesk will realize the potential of expanding its user base and not just with Inventor hopefully with most of their products and suites!

Message 34 of 70

Yeah definitely. Honestly it would be much more important to me that Fusion 360 was brought to LInux and I think it would be the easiest being so cloud driven. It amazes me that in this day and age starting ground up software Autodesk still couldn't be bothered to think of starting out with a cross platform design plan. Even making the Mac version sounds like it was a back pedal and try to figure it all out again. Seems way too much like 1990s software mentality to me.
But yeah I think that it would be smart if Autodesk took this into their long term strategy for all their software.
Otherwise they could very well find themselves behind the curve loosing business and customers and irritating others who can't afford to leave.

Message 35 of 70
dgorsman
in reply to: yoshimitsuspeed

There's a ton of development issues with creating and maintaining cross platform applications.  Development is rarely done "ground up" these days - software is built using tool sets inherent to the operating system.  Best example of this is dotNET for Windows, as well as DirectX.  This allows relatively complex programs to be developed such that the programmers can focus on the program and not the nuts'n'bolts.  Of course this also tightly ties that software to the operating system supported by said tool sets.  You can't just copy the code over to Linux or Mac without having an equivalent tool set to draw from.  And with the traditional field of "I'm a Linux user and Microsoft sux", "I'm a Mac user and Microsoft sux", etc. users there isn't much impetus for developing and maintaining such cross-platform capable tools.  That would certainly contradict their main marketing line of "We're not Windows!".

This deep-level cross-platform support becomes vital for that mid-range design software.  They don't have the budget (dollars or hours) to build multiple tool sets which need maintaining for every new release of every supported operating system.  As complexity increases (and lets face it - parametric design software is some of the most complex software out there) it requires more effort on the part of the programmers, who have less time to be fiddling around with their own internal tool sets.  The only way they can be profitable is to focus on one single market which provides revenue, ease of development, and ease of maintenance.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 36 of 70
LT.Rusty
in reply to: sanabriaerik

@sanabriaerik wrote:

@yoshimitsuspeed wrote:

[...]

Hopefully Autodesk will realize the potential of expanding its user base and not just with Inventor hopefully with most of their products and suites!

What potential?

The potential for one-off sales?  How many seats of Inventor can you guarantee for a Linux version?

Name me a single large company that uses Linux for their primary workstation operating system.  

When you get Lock-Mart, or General Dynamics, or General Electric, or Boeing, or someone else on that scale on board to ditch Windows in favor of Linux, then maybe you'll have a reason to spend development dollars on a Linux version of Inventor.  Show Autodesk a guaranteed 5,000 new seats of Inventor that would be sold for Linux, or 5,000 existing susbscriptions that would be lost without Linux, and maybe you'll get some interest.

Until then ... not gonna happen.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 37 of 70
yoshimitsuspeed
in reply to: dgorsman

There are cross platform alternatives to things like dot net and Directx. It is a software designers choice whether or not they want to use proprietary platforms that tie them to a particular OS.
This is exactly what Microsoft wants and exactly why they make so little of their related stuff available to Linux. Silverlight, .net, directx etc are all ways that Microsoft can control software designers and get them stuck staying loyal to them and software users to have no other choice but to use Windows.

http://www.mono-project.com/

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

So it's not that Autodesk's only option is to bind themselves to Microsoft, .net or directx. With plenty of other options available they have chosen to do so.

Message 38 of 70
yoshimitsuspeed
in reply to: LT.Rusty

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@sanabriaerik wrote:

@yoshimitsuspeed wrote:

[...]

What potential?

The potential for one-off sales?  How many seats of Inventor can you guarantee for a Linux version?

Name me a single large company that uses Linux for their primary workstation operating system.  

When you get Lock-Mart, or General Dynamics, or General Electric, or Boeing, or someone else on that scale on board to ditch Windows in favor of Linux, then maybe you'll have a reason to spend development dollars on a Linux version of Inventor.  Show Autodesk a guaranteed 5,000 new seats of Inventor that would be sold for Linux, or 5,000 existing susbscriptions that would be lost without Linux, and maybe you'll get some interest.

Your reply shows a breathtaking level of ignorance.
Linux originated as an open source alternative to Unix. Some of the biggest companies in the world use varios forms of NIX.
Many universities run linux/unix. Many banks run on some form of nix. Many large corperations have their whole on internal OSes based on Nix.

http://www.tecmint.com/big-companies-and-devices-running-on-gnulinux/

So if all those big companies prefer to use Linux then what is stopping mid level businesse from choosing to use it?
Maybe because their mid level software is based on .net and directx and they have no choice but to use Windows.

Message 39 of 70

Thank you!

And in most cases the Linux equivalent of a microsoft API is better! Like opengl vs directx.

The only interest of Microsoft is to grow it's monopoly and sadly Autodesk is feeding it.

Take for example Autodesks media and entertainment products. Maya, Mudbox and Motionbuilde run equally in Linux, Mac (except for motionbuilder) and Windows. Huge customers like Pixar, Dreamworks all use Linux because they find it better than Mac or Windows for their work.

Message 40 of 70
LT.Rusty
in reply to: yoshimitsuspeed

@yoshimitsuspeed wrote:

@LT.Rusty wrote:

@sanabriaerik wrote:

@yoshimitsuspeed wrote:

[...]

What potential?

Your reply shows a breathtaking level of ignorance.
Linux originated as an open source alternative to Unix. Some of the biggest companies in the world use varios forms of NIX.
Many universities run linux/unix. Many banks run on some form of nix. Many large corperations have their whole on internal OSes based on Nix.

http://www.tecmint.com/big-companies-and-devices-running-on-gnulinux/

So if all those big companies prefer to use Linux then what is stopping mid level businesse from choosing to use it?
Maybe because their mid level software is based on .net and directx and they have no choice but to use Windows.

Oh please.

That page lists 30 items, sure.  ONE of them - only a single solitary one - is describing generic desktop computing ... and that one is extremely non-specific.  It says - and I quote - "Though a little late, Linux made a notable presence in the desktop computing market. In school and academics as well as in government offices Linux are being widely used, these days."

Virtually everything else on that list is talking about servers or embedded devices / systems.

Again - show me (or rather show Autodesk) the numbers.  If you can show them that they'll guaranteed gain several thousand new seats, or that they'll guaranteed lose several thousand existing seats, then you'll get some attention.

@sanabriaerik wrote:

Thank you!

And in most cases the Linux equivalent of a microsoft API is better! Like opengl vs directx.

The only interest of Microsoft is to grow it's monopoly and sadly Autodesk is feeding it.

Take for example Autodesks media and entertainment products. Maya, Mudbox and Motionbuilde run equally in Linux, Mac (except for motionbuilder) and Windows. Huge customers like Pixar, Dreamworks all use Linux because they find it better than Mac or Windows for their work.

If OpenGL is so much better than Direct3D, then why doesn't Inventor still use it?  Inventor started off with OpenGL, and sometime back around 2005-6-7 or so ditched it in favor of Direct3D.

Even more to the point - if OpenGL is so much better than Direct3D, then why do I need a Quadro or FirePro card to run OpenGL stuff well, but Inventor works just fine on a standard video card?

When it comes to the media and entertainment products - yeah, someone showed Autodesk a solid business case for making *nix compatible versions of those programs.  I'd be willing to bet, however, that a version of Maya or Mudbox that runs on Ubuntu is mostly available because it didn't take a whole lot of extra time or money to compile it, though - I highly doubt that Pixar is running an off-the-shelf *nix distro.

Rusty

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report