Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 - Creating a mesh part that can't be converted back to solid

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
whgrossiii
2312 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor 2014 - Creating a mesh part that can't be converted back to solid

Hello,

I'm looking for a file format that I can save an assembly in that will prevent anyone from taking any measurements off of the body (to protect proprietary information).  So far I have created a simplified part from the entire .iam, then broken the link between the base parts and then I have saved that file as a .stl file thus making it a single, mesh object.  This file format works because it prevents any measurements from being taken and still would give a customer the ability to take the object, view it, and place it into their own assembly.

The problem seems to be that there are ways to convert this mesh object back into one with multiple faces and edges, whether it be through inventor or some other software (Rhino was one program I ran across.)

Is there a way to "lock" my file into a .stl or other similar format so that it would be impossible for someone to recieve the file and take measurements or work back to the original, individual .ipt's?

Thank you,

Bill

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: whgrossiii

I suspect the effort and results of trying to reverse engineer a dimensionally correct solid model from an stl would not be worthwhile for most people unless the geometry is really simple.  I do not know of an "easy button" software that would do this unless it is prismatic and cylindrical geometry, and even then there would be some interpolation.

Can you post a screen shot of the stl?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 12
whgrossiii
in reply to: JDMather

I'd rather not post a screenshot.  Basically, there are some critical dimensions that could be obtained from these models that would be very easy to measure and reproduce.  So if there is no way to keep the file in a format that prevents taking measurements then I suppose we just won't send these models out. 

Message 4 of 12
JDMather

If the geometry is that simple, I think you will need to concentrate on being better, faster, cheaper at manufacturing as it will be copied from an actual part if there is a significant financial incentive to do so.  Being better, faster, cheaper removes the incentive to copy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
rdyson

You don't tell us why you're providing the file in the first place.
If it's just for visualization, you can use dwf with markup and measure disabled.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 12
whgrossiii
in reply to: rdyson

I didn't know you could disable the measurement that way. Got it now. Thank you.
Message 7 of 12
JDMather

@whgrossiii wrote:

Hello,

.... still would give a customer the ability to take the object, view it, and place it into their own assembly.

Whoa, I don't know how to do that with a dwf file.  Drawing? or Assembly?

I just tried this in an assembly (*.iam) and got an error?

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
rdyson

JD, I'm assuming you found these check boxes:

Capture.JPG

I get a popup when the dwf is opened but don't ever remember a crash.

Capture1.JPG

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 12
JDMather

I didn't say I get a crash.

I said I get an error trying to place a *.dwf file into a *.aim file (per the original problem description in post #1 (the pertinent portion of which I quoted)).

I think I was aware of all the settings in the images you attached - unless one of those settings allows for placing a dwf into an iam.

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
rdyson

Yep, read error as crash.
I don't see where the OP says anything about what he wants the file for.
Can you open any dwf in IV except a marked up 2-D drawing?

PDSU 2016
Message 11 of 12
JDMather

@rdyson wrote:

I don't see where the OP says anything about what he wants the file for.

"This file format works because it prevents any measurements from being taken and still would give a customer the ability to take the object, view it, and place it into their own assembly."

This sounds like a pretty clear problem description to me.  Then goes on to worry that the stl can be reversed engineered.  Sounds for all the world like OP wants model that customer can use in their iam as a "place-holder" for reference and fit, but doesn't want them to be able to reverse engineer in any way.

EESignature

Message 12 of 12
rdyson

Must be getting lazy, I had to re-read his post 4 times to actually see that.
How can you insert a part into an assembly without know how big it is?

PDSU 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report