Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2014 - Can Not Open CATIA V5 Part file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
2847 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2014 - Can Not Open CATIA V5 Part file

Just installed inventor profesional 2014 product design suite.  First task was to open a Catia V5 part, for some reason when selecting open nothing happens....its like you hit cancel instead of open.  Ive tried changing the various 'options' in the open dialogue box but with no luck

Any one know what i am doing wrong?  is there something special you need to do to open it?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Does this happen only with the Catia file, or does it also happen with STEP, IGES, SWx, Creo..... ....files?

Did you install with anti-virus and UAC temporarily turned off?

What does your Add-ins Manager show?

Can you zip and attach the Catia file here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

works fine with STEP..... for som reason the catia file doesnt even attempt to open, no loading or anything.

I did not install with anti-virus or UAC turned off. Its a brand new computer setup by IT department per company policy and then handed to me to install inventor.

Can not attach the CATIA file either, I would loose my job.
Message 4 of 7
JDMather

Have you downloaded the Tutorial/Samples files?
I think there might be a sample Catia that we could use for a common test.

I am at a slow internet connection till tomorrow and have not downloaded them myself to check.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 7
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi anthonybu,

Thanks for your reporting  and just follow up.

Does this problem solved in your side ? Have you tried JD's suggestion ? You can double click the CATIA V5: Import item in the addin dialog box to load it before open this model.

What I thought and suppose in my mind for this problem now is:

1. make sure Autodesk.TranslatorCATIAV5Import.Inventor.addin file is existed in this path: C:\programdata\autodesk\inventor 2014\addins

2. Inventor 2014 can only support CATIA V5 version from R6-R22, not sure if your model's version is supported or not

3. If possible you can check your CATIA V5 model in CATIA V5 app to avoid the model data is corrupt

4. Is your inventor run under Admin account ? If not, please also have a try

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Thanks Kevin and JD, I downloaded another V5 file form the web and it opens just fine....so I am thinking it may be a corrupt file...not sure how to check the version type as dont have catia viewers etc. I am also running as admin account.

hopefully when i recieve new V5 file it will work

thanks
Message 7 of 7
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi anthonybu,

Thanks for your quickly reply !!!

Although CATIA V5 Part file is a binary format, but we can still open it using Notepad or Notepad++, then search keypoint "release" and you will find a node like XML format, the value is the version of this model (see attached image, in this case, its version is R22).

For the CATIA V5 viewer, you can search it in Google and there are free tool for downloading. http://www.google.com.hk/#safe=strict&site=&source=hp&q=CATIA+V5+viewer&oq=CATIA+V5+viewer&gs_l=hp.3... 

For this model which has problem, please contact with this model provider for double check it is valid or not if possible (just my 2 cent .), If it is an assembly, make sure only a .catproduct file is not enough, all its part files and its external referenced files should also be provided in order to open it successfully.

Any question please let me know, you can also contact me via email HongyuanDotLiAtAutodeskDotcom if you meet other Inventor data translation problems in your work.

Have a nice day!!!

Regards,

Kevin-Hongyuan Li

Quality Assurance Team

Autodesk,Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report