Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 slow with saving and updating

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
markben
1964 Views, 19 Replies

Inventor 2013 slow with saving and updating

I installed IV13 onto four of our workstations including the update 1. 

Due to the size and complexity of our project we are using Vault to manage all of our parts and drawings.

We had issues with 2012 but managed to get around them. I was hoping 2013 would solve some of them but we are experiencing extremely slow performance with 2013. It takes at least 15 to 20 minutes to open and update drawings. Swopping between an assembly and IDW to do updates takes another 20 minutes to refresh and update. 

This is happening on all four of the workstations. 

I have come across a few forums with this same issue and I have tried setting up the options as described in them but have had no difference in performance.

Has anyone got a solution for this as we are loosing an enormous amount of time trying to update drawings?

Your help would be appreciated.

Mark

HP Elitebook 8760W

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600QM CPU @ 2HGZ

8GB Ram

Nvidia Quaadro 3000M 

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Jon.Dean
in reply to: markben

This is a duplication of the case you created in Subscription Center.

I will concentrate on the Subscription case.

Others may want to reply in the forum.

Jon.

Jon Dean

Message 3 of 20
shawn.payne

Did you find a solution to this problem? I am having the same issue

Message 4 of 20
blair

Unfortunatly you are using Vault on a server. I would try and copy a large assembly to a local machine and see if the problem is with our local stations or with your network and server.

Myself, I would start looking at your server and network.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 20
shawn.payne
in reply to: blair

Do you know what in particular about the network to look for? Thank You, Shawn Payne Mechanical Equipment Company www.meco.com 13189 Hwy 190 West Covington, LA 70433 LA EXT 105 985-249-5505
WWW.MECO.COM
  This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.
Message 6 of 20
markben

I am unfortunately still having the problem with 2013 and have gone back to using 2012 as it is faster on all existing drawings.

We have Vault on a separate standalone server so there is no network interference from other programs. This handles only vault and none of the word and excel documents you will find on a normal server.

I have gone the route of migrating all of the 2000 odd parts, assemblies and drawings using the task manager which took close to 4 hours to complete.

Once this was done I opened the main assembly using Inv 13 through vault, it handled the model very well. this came to an end when I started editing drawings. It takes at least 10 minutes to open a drawing. editing between assemblies and drawings would also take 10 to 15 minutes to update. Saving and closing models and drawings would also be a good 15 to 20 minute wait.

I did not have this problem on 2012.

I have also gone the route of doing a "Get Checkout" onto my C drive and performing the same task, I had the same issues occurring.

Message 7 of 20
blair

Everything from your Server it's self. CPU utilization, bandwidth monirtoring, router monitoring are the first ones that come to mind.

Even down to your hardware such as your switch/router and NIC's on your server.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 20
shawn.payne

I copied everything to my C drive and re-mapped so that it would not pull from the vault. It still does it. That would seem to suggest that the network is not the issue. I also tried it on another computer, but it had the same issue.

Message 9 of 20
blair

You don't have an Anti-Virus software on your machines/network that is scanning file? If so, add settings to exclude files with Inventor extensions: IPT, IAM IDW IPN

Your model size/complexity might be pushing the limits of Inventor as well. What are we looking at for size/complexity.

Possibly a screen capture or model information might help shed some light on the problem.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 20
shawn.payne

I disabled the anti-virus with no luck. The assembly is a skid. The file should not be too large. See picture

Message 11 of 20
blair

That's it! Not a really big model. I thought it was something like the following:

BT635D.jpg

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 20
blair

Looks like you are using note-books. These have poor hard-drive speed. Run the Performanceand Information Tools from the Windows Control Panel. What sort of Primary hard disk numbers do you get. Almost sounds like you have Disk I/O problems on your server if you see the same times when compared to a laptop with the content local.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 13 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: shawn.payne

Working with that assembly should be fairly trivial.
Is there any chance you can post a dataset that exhibits this behavior?

Has you VAR tried to find the source of the problem.
You definately should not be seeing this problem and it is costing your company time (money).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 14 of 20
shawn.payne
in reply to: JDMather

What type of dataset from inventor do you need?

Message 15 of 20
blair

A complete Pack-and-Go for the assembly. This will include all files and drawings.

Also if you can expand your IPJ project file showing the directory layout as well as a you network lay-out (mapped directories (screen capture for both).

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 16 of 20
shawn.payne

I will have to get an ok from my supervisor for the pack and go. Ill let you know when they get back to me. In the meantime thank you for your help so far.

Message 17 of 20
JDMather

@shawn.payne wrote:

I will have to get an ok from my supervisor for the pack and go.

Find an assembly/drawing that isn't proprietary but exhibits the behavior.  Explain to your supervisor that this is costing the company money and there is free help at hand to solve the problem.

If you already have all the files in a single folder for a project that exhibits this behavior then right click on the folder and select Send to Compressed (Zipped) Folder and attach the resulting *.zip file here.

If not, open the idw and do the Save As Pack and Go (set to Skip the stuff we don't need).

Extract your zip yourself to make sure it still exhibits the behavior.

If you can't get the OK to post on a public forum, my guess is someone from Autodesk will be along to offer a secure check of the data.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 18 of 20
shawn.payne
in reply to: JDMather

The file is too large for the forum. I have emailed it to you.

Message 19 of 20
joseph.schaffer

I am having the same issues!  I am working with even smaller files that the skid example that started this forum (see picture).  I thought it was a network issue also, so I loaded my project onto my computer's hard drive.  Things are still really slow.  No change.  In addition to slow saves and loads, the whole program seems slow.  It takes forever to create views on drawings from a 3D model. 

My computer:

Dell Latitude

2.67 i7 Processor

8 GB RAM

512 GB SSD

512 GB Nvidia Graphics Card

Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)

We upgraded from Inventor 2009 and never had this trouble before.  It seems like the program has trouble regardless of file size.  It is like it gets lost with itself and just times out more than being overburdened.  I never even come close to the processor's limits, RAM usage, graphics card usage, etc. when watching the Windows system monitor.  When I go back to Inventor 2009, I get quick loads, processes, saves, etc. 

Message 20 of 20
blair

Run the "Performance Information and Tools" from the control panel and post the results.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report