Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 really slow

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
nuclair
5207 Views, 22 Replies

Inventor 2013 really slow

Hello,

Since some time im using inventor 2013, when working in assemblys everything is going way to slow.

Are there some things in the settings or whatever i can change?

My notebook specs are:

Inter core I7- 3610QM @ 2.3 ghz

Nvidia geforce 610M 2gb

6gb memory

Win 7 premium 64bit.

Thanks in advance!

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
jonathanruffray
in reply to: nuclair

Hello all,

We experiencing here performances issue with inventor 2013.

Running assembly (above 3000Pcs) is now really painfull since we merge from IV2012 to IV2013....

Create new part/drawing trough new button is really slow (1 @ 2 seconds to change the focus when cliking on another template... )

Let us not speak about creating a section view in a drawing....

Is something wrong with our project configuration? what happends with that 2013 version..??

Hellllppppp Smiley Sad

Our configuration is (the same that was for IV2012...) :

* Product suite Ultimate 2013 SP1.1 + vault basic 2013

--> using one project (vault project) for all our files

--> Librairies and template are on a shared files on the network

* Computers:

Windows Pro 7 64bits SP1

2x Intel Xeon E5520 @2.27GHz

6 Go DDR3 667MHz

NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 768MB

--------------------------------
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
Bi-Xeon E5520 (2x Quad-core @2.27GHz)
Quadro Fx 1800 768Mo GDDR3
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Message 3 of 23
weavty1

I'm having the same issues as well - Win7 64bit, i7 CPU, AMD HD7990 6GB GPU, and 32GB RAM - All files are locally stored. Help?

Message 4 of 23
weavty1
in reply to: weavty1

BUMP for help! This is getting very frustrating!!!

Please help guys! Thank you!

Message 5 of 23
cbenner

It seems like all of you are running on 6Gb RAM?  Here are the requirements for IV 2013 on Windows, recommended for larger assemblies:

specs.JPG

We run on 12Gb, with these specs: 

AutoCAD 2013, IV 2013 Pro SP2 Tube and Pipe - Frame Generator, Vault Pro 2013 Win 7 x64, Dell precision PWS690, GeForce GTX580

Large assemblies still load somewhat slowly, but not to where we can't live with it.

Message 7 of 23
LT.Rusty
in reply to: cbenner

It's not just them, and it's probably not an issue with the RAM.

My workstation at the office is a Xeon E3-1280 w/16 GB and I get a lot of slow-downs as well.  My laptop at home - i7-2630QM w/6 GB - ran Inventor Pro 2013 better than my workstation.  (Well, laptop has 8 GB now, but it worked just fine at 6.)

There's a few things that can be done to speed up the machine, but they're not necessarily magic bullets.

First thing, you can go to the Tools tab and open up the add-in manager.  (Use the one from the tools tab, not the Add-Ins tab.)  Turn the things you're not using off.  For me, I turn off the Mold Design, Routed Systems, Eco Materials Advisor, Dynamic Simulation, and a few other things.  It improves the load times a lot.

The things that mostly slow down for me are things like drawing updates, fillets and draft operations.  Sometimes I just have to shut down and reboot.

Rusty

EESignature

Message 8 of 23
weavty1
in reply to: cbenner

No, that's a 6GB GPU/video card.......... I'm running 32GB of RAM.

I shouldn't have these hangups like I'm having - Like with just ONE file/part/window open... Nothing else running in the background, besides Outlook, Windows Explorer, and Inventor 2013 64bit. It's a simple part, too!! Just 12 dims..... LOL wtf?

Message 9 of 23
weavty1
in reply to: LT.Rusty

Bump for that! I'll try that out... Definitely! Thanks.

(Still searching for a FIRM answer/solution from Autodesk, though.. lol)

Message 10 of 23
jonathanruffray

I try too put our design data and template on a local HDD instead of the local network change my project to point to the local data and...  There is some improvement !! Smiley Indifferent

Drawings are still painfully slow but now when cliking on the new button and choosed what to create (parts, assembly, drawings...), screen don't freeze anymore for long seconds....    But no matters we use a local design data and template are we need all to work on a common version...

For sure something change in Inventor 2013 with the network access !!!  Please could an autodesk employee tell us what's change beetween IV 2012 and IV 2013 with the network connection??

Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Message 11 of 23
weavty1
in reply to: jonathanruffray

PLEASE!

Because I just waited over a minute to change a content center bolt's length, for it to 'update part'.... Dang.

I can't be dealing with these hangups like this, guys... I have models to make, and products to push out!!  

😞

Message 12 of 23
jonathanruffray

Weavty1,

Did you migrate your content center files, your styles, colors, templates, etc...

Did you used Vault?

Is your content center on the network, on vault or in local on your machine?

We need to find what's wrong...

Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Message 13 of 23
LT.Rusty

I'm not Weavly, but I do have some of the same issues.  I don't think it's quite as slow as that, but it's still pretty slow. 

I have a Vault, but I don't use it - my project is set up to be completely local and self-sufficient.  Everything is on the local machine.  Everything is migrated, except for Content Center which was a new installation for 2013.  (2011 used the network content center.)

Rusty

EESignature

Message 14 of 23
weavty1

Content Center files are all stored locally. All Styles are as well, etc.

I had not migrated anything from a legacy version, nor have I used Vault for anything yet. So I should not have any issues with that at the moment. 

Everything is installed and ran locally on my workstation (PC) here at the office.

Message 15 of 23
randym19ca

Are you running an SSD or HDD?  If you are running a 5400 RPM HDD you will definitly experience slowdowns.

Randy

Intel Xeon W3565 3.2 GHZ

12 GB Ram

256 GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD

ATI FirePro V5700

Message 16 of 23

Hi,

I'm equipped with 7200RPM HDDs, but even if I was using 5400 Rpm HDD they shall be not have a so big difference between Inventor 2012 and Inventor 2013...

From what I see from this post, we all have a well configured computer (Up to 32Gb RAM in this thread) to run Inventor whithout been laggy....

And it happens that we use network or local files, Vault or not...

Attached a video of the new function slow down between  network (H:)  and local (D:) drive. See How it's slow with Inventor 2013... Smiley Sad

Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Message 17 of 23
petrxn

My experrience is that if I change project I have to restart Inventor. If not the Inventor is very, very slow. Also missing file of material library (adsklib) slows Inventor. Could not be this your problem?

Message 18 of 23
weavty1

BUMP FOR HELP!! Please!! Ugh.... This is getting EXTREMELY annoying.

Message 19 of 23
weavty1

bump?

Message 20 of 23
b.mccarthy

I experienced the same performance issues after I installed PRDSU2013 (one small assembly of 40+ parts took 2 hours to open). The problem (for me, at least) stemmed from the custom material definitions I had created in 2012 and previous, which did not migrate successfully to the new release's Material and Appearance Libraries definitions. I also have alot of custom content in the Content Center, which affected the performance as well. My solution required purging all of the custom definitions and applying a new, similar one from within the new libraries. Unmodified definitions had to be updated. After many, many hours of purge/update, 2013 now runs @90% of the speed of 2012. Not great, but much better. I'm still trying to track down some pesky problems in some sheet metal parts.

If you create any custom materials/appearances, I would recommend following the steps outlined here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Inventor/enu/2013/Help/1310-Autodesk1310/1364-Fundamen1364/1443-Materia...

The process is a little different depending upon whether it is begun from within an idw or iam/ipt

When in a idw, follow these steps in order:

1. Manage > Styles and Standards > Purge. The "Purge Styles" will open.
  2. Check "Purge Sub-Styles" and "Purge Styles from All Child Documents"
  3. Select "Yes to All" and Click Ok. If the "Update Locally Edited Styles?" dialog pops up, Click "Yes" as well. This can take awhile.
  4. Manage > Styles and Standards > Update. The "Update Styles" dialog will open.
  5. Check "Update Styles in All Child Documents"
  6. Select "Yes to All" and Click Ok. If the "Update Locally Edited Styles?"   dialog pops up, Click "Yes" as well. This, again, can take awhile

When in a iam or ipt, follow these steps in order:

1. Manage > Styles and Standards > Purge. The "Purge Styles" will open.
  2. Check "Styles", "Materials",  "Purge Sub-Styles" and "Purge Styles from All Child Documents" If you completed the steps in the "Library Management Methods" above, you will see your new material library under the "Compare Materials against" area. You can select any of the existing libraries to compare with.
  3. Select "Yes to All" and Click Ok. If the "Update Locally Edited Styles?" dialog pops up, Click "Yes" as well. This may take awhile.
  4. Manage > Styles and Standards > Update. The "Update Styles" dialog will open.
  5. Check "Styles", "Materials" and  "Update Styles in All Child Documents"
  6. Select "Yes to All" and Click Ok. If the "Update Locally Edited Styles?" dialog pops up, Click "Yes" as well. This, again, may take awhile.

This is an ongoing process, obviously, and I re-create my custom materials and appearances as needed, or when I have time, using the Asset Management project defined above. If any of my custom materials had been applied to custom items in the Content Center, then they have to be redefined, too.

This may or may not affect your issue, but perhaps it will help..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums