Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 on Parallels on a Mac Pro.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jbobdobbs
1725 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor 2013 on Parallels on a Mac Pro.

All,

We're desparate to find information on the viability of running Inventor 2013 (or even 2011 or 2012) under Parallels on a Mac Pro. The Mac FAQ hasn't been updated since 2008 as far as we can tell.

Here's where we're at:

Candidate Hardware

• Mac Pro (current gen) with 2 x 2.4GHz quad-core Xeon running
  • Mac OS 10.6.8,
  • 12Gb RAM
  • 2 x 2Tb hard disks, configured as RAID 1 with Mac OS, Parallels 7, Windows 7.
  • ATI Radeon HD 5770 1Gb

Questions

1. Assuming models typically with < 5,000 parts, Is this beefy enough hardware? Enough RAM? Big enough graphics card for two monitors?
  2. Any recommendations on graphics settings in Parallels / Windows in order to get good performance? Turn off Aqua & use DirectX?
  3. Can we get away with the RAID 1 for fault tolerance? Can you suggest a better strategy (maybe SSD in bay 1 with Mac OS 10.6.8, Parallels, Windows, then RAID 1 storage volume in bays 2 & 3)?
  4. How big a performance hit are we taking by running this way instead of Bootcamp?
  5. We would like to have the files saved into the Mac OS file system as opposed to filing them on the Windows VM. This allows us to make automated backups of just the files as opposed to the entire VM? In reading the FAQ, it appears that this will require us to format the VM as FAT, not NTFS, which limits partition sizes to 32Gb. Are we crazy to entertain this idea? Is this even possible? Is there a way to use NTFS and use the Mac OS for file storage?
  6. Our backup strategy will involve making a copy of the pristine VM once Inventor is installed, allowing "instant" restore of the VM if something hits the guardrail. Does this seem like a good idea or are we nuts?

We would give a digit to speak to someone with real-word experience running this (or a similar) setup. Any and all input is welcome.

Many thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
cmcconnell
in reply to: jbobdobbs

We run on Macs here - but we use Bootcamp. I have tried parallels briefly in the past - and it used to have trouble with the video requirements of Inventor.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 3 of 11
donovandigital

No experience with this specifically but your backup strategy is right on target. Only make sure you go sector-by-secrtor on the physical device rather than partition or anything like that.

Might I ask, why must you do this? PCs are pretty cheap nowadays.

Message 4 of 11
jbobdobbs
in reply to: donovandigital

"Might I ask, why must you do this? PCs are pretty cheap nowadays."

We want an integrated environment that allows the operator to use Mac-only tools (Daylite, for example). We would prefer to move away from the risks and complexity of the Windows platform towards the simplicity and depth of the Mac. If we're running Bootcamp, we may as well be running a Dell.

We double-checked with our operators and they're saying that the object count in their work is typically < 1000 pieces in a model. We're hoping that this makes the Parallels solution more viable.

Is Inventor Fusion a Mac-native, direct replacement for Inventor 2012 / 2013? If so, perhaps this is the way we should go, although building a business on software that is, at least by my understanding, still in heavy beta, seems a fairly significant risk.

Again, any and all input is welcome.

Message 5 of 11
donovandigital

Proposed strategy with no practical implementation advice, real or implied (r)(tm)

Create VMs on a central server, then access them remotely from Macs. No idea whatsoever if you have enough power/money to do this, or even if its viable for the size of your models, but I recall seeing remote desktop solutions for pc hosts on mac worksatations (cannot remember any names atm, but surely doable, as OS<whatever> is essentially freebsd (*nix).

Again, no idea alas if this is viable, but I would at least look into it.

Message 6 of 11
jbobdobbs

Good suggestion, but not something we can pull off - these users are local and isolated.

We've got a more accurate object count now; it's closer to 1,000 max.

Perhaps Inventor Fusion Mac is the way to go?

Message 7 of 11
Martin_Goodland

"Is Inventor Fusion a Mac-native, direct replacement for Inventor 2012 / 2013? If so, perhaps this is the way we should go, although building a business on software that is, at least by my understanding, still in heavy beta, seems a fairly significant risk."

Inventor Fusion is a free download from the Labs website and is only for editing dumb solids (imported part files), it does not handle assemblies or drawings and is in no way a replacement for Inventor.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 8 of 11
jbobdobbs
in reply to: Martin_Goodland

Martin,

Thanks for the clarfication. We'll stop holding our breath, hoping that Fusion would fill the bill.

Any other data points from Mac users out there?

Message 9 of 11
donovandigital

Sorry - local and isolated as in they have no internet connection whatsoever?

From what I've seen of Inventor's use pf resources, a VPN over a cable modem may well be viable. I would at the very least do stress tests to evaluate.

Message 10 of 11
jbobdobbs

"Sorry - local and isolated as in they have no internet connection whatsoever?"

Local and isolated, but they've got at least 2Mb/512K up.

"From what I've seen of Inventor's use pf resources, a VPN over a cable modem may well be viable. I would at the very least do stress tests to evaluate."

Thanks. Appreciate the guidance.

Message 11 of 11
tylern

im working on a I-MAC 27" using bootcamp, 

i have a hard time explaining to the upper managment that this software was not designed to run on mac hardware, their reply is "its the exact same hardware in any PC", 

Autodesk certifies certain workstations for their software, 

BOXX tech is a prime example. 

there are several engineering workstations that are certified by autodesk to run their software to the fullest potentail. 

if it were my money, i would either build, or buy a prebuilt engineering workstation..... not a personal computer designed to check emails and watch movies...... apple fanboys have a big problem with this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report