Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 just reset itself and undid my defaults

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
QuasiMojo
2021 Views, 18 Replies

Inventor 2013 just reset itself and undid my defaults

W7 64bit, up-to-date, quadcore, 8GB RAM, HP 8540w laptop

This morning everything was fine.  Later, I tried and failed to get a network license.  Once a license became available, I was 'greeted' with the newbie startup page that I had already set to not show at startup.  Then I opened my Standard.ipt that I had previously modified the way I like it, and it was different. Then I went to make a sketch and say that the UI settings were completely reset, too. When I looked into my Templates folder, all my Standard.xxx files had been reverted to 'factory reset' with "date modified" = 3/2/2012.

What gives?

Fortunately, I've learned that in order to work with Inventor one must: save work continuously like it's 1999, export your application option settings as a backup (this has been borked since 2012 in my experience), and now it seems I must backup my Standard.xxx files.

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
blair
in reply to: QuasiMojo

almost sounds like you had an issue with your network/domain

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 19
SBix26

Sounds as if your Inventor registry stuff (App Options, mostly) were re-created from scratch.  That would explain the template file paths returning to default.

Message 4 of 19
QuasiMojo

Thanks. I couldn't get the license because all seat were taken up by other users.  I just didn't check the license availability before I launched the program.

As for the default files, it's stranger than what you suggest with the registry.  It overwrote the default files I had modified.  It didn't redirect the path. It annihilated the modified files and replaced them with those from the install...how it did that is the mystery.  It was as if I had re-installed, except my project file was not destroyed, fortunately.

Message 5 of 19
QuasiMojo

Inventor just overwrote all my Standard.xxx again.

love it.

why don't you go delete my parts, too?  maybe reformat the hard drive while you're at it?

Message 6 of 19
SBix26

Yeah, I've had the same problem with our templates getting overwritten.  SP1.1 at least keeps a backup of the overwritten templates (in an OldTemplates folder), but if I don't watch for it, someone will change their App Opts and now we're back to using the default templates.  Really annoying!  And thanks for the reminder to check-- we're still good this morning!

Message 7 of 19
QuasiMojo
in reply to: SBix26

Sam,

Thanks for letting me know about the 'old templates' folder.  I rebuilt them again and saved them in my own separate folder.  At least next time (as there will undoubtedly be a next time) I will have a current backup.  Still...what is the logic behind saving my templates to another folder, then annihilating them in the default location?  My guess is that there must be a bug so bad that the program is set to rebuild everything instead of crashing into a flaming (steaming?) pile of bits.

Hey Autodesk: I have SolidWorks, too.  It has never done this to me.  You're costing me debug/crashy/unstable time wasting on par with the difference in license fees.  Hint, hint.

Message 8 of 19

We have the same problem. It’s frustrating. Is there a fix?

Message 9 of 19

We have the same issue, recurring on multiple occasions. Our templates are on a Network Drive. Over the weekend they have reverted to this 02/03/2012 dated version (We only installed Inv 2013 in December 2012). Recent updates to the .ipt, .iam, .ipn and .dwg templates have been lost. Oddly, drawing templates have not been affected.

Now also there's this new folder "OldTemplates" which has been mystically created. The templates in there are the up to date versions but:

i) We don't want them in there

ii) We never put them in there

iii) We are not going to take them back out of there on a regular basis just to cover some glitch in the system.

Where is the Autodesk response to this issue????? Templates are the foundation of everything we do. If they are not controlled, retained, protected and reliable then how can I say any of our work is???

Message 10 of 19
brian.cranston

I've been chasing this bug for a couple months and just Friday I zeroed in on that it happens after Inventor can't get a license from the pool.  Apparently (for me) it resets most of the file locations to default and changes the Content Center back to local.  I spend 30 minutes a week on support calls dealing with this. I plan to submit this to Autodesk Support this morning.

-Brian Cranston

CAD ADMIN

LSI Industries

Message 11 of 19

OK, so a bit of further testing has shown that (in my case anyway):

i) The issue arises when a user goes to Application Options and Imports a .xml Application Options configuration file.

ii) At this point some files in the templates folder specified by that configuration file are reverted to the default template file available when doing an Inventor install.

iii) The above SOME files are only files which are named the same as the default files. That is to say a Part template named Standard.ipt will revert but a a Part template named PART.ipt will not revert. This is why our .idw templates (which are named as per customer) have never been an issue but our Part and Assembly templates which were always just named Standard.ipt & Standard.iam were always affected.

So by renaming all our templlates to custom names I should be able to avoid a re-occurence of this issue. However, this does not cure the problem, only treats the symptoms. We still do not have an understanding of why is this happening and if there are other as yet unseen problems/symptoms happening elsewhere at the same time.

Message 12 of 19
QuasiMojo
in reply to: gerard.kenster

I've only had it happen when I cannot get a license from the pool.  Then it happens without fail.

I refuse to test anything on this because I am NOT a beta tester for Autodesk.  If they want to give me free licenses, I'll be happy to dig into the details and report back.  This nonsense is expensive to the end user.  This is supposed to be production software; a tool, not a project in its own right.

Fix your software.  I have work to do.

Message 13 of 19

Update:

I submitted it to Autodesk last week and they are looking into it.  They were asking about the current IPJ file changing, but I'm trying to steer them back to the registry settings changing.  I'm not sure we're on the same page yet.  I was able to grab some screenshots to support the situation after it happened again late yesterday.  I'll let you all know what I hear.

CaseNo:08086690

-Brian

Message 14 of 19

I got a response (note response not solution) from Autodesk on this:

"This is a known issue ###, a number of customers have reported this. The issue is logged with development."

"The only workaround is not to name the customised templates Standard but it is more convenient to name them Standard. We don't have a fix for this at the moment, development are still working on it."

So in the meantime we have renamed our templates and are just waiting to see what the next problem that arises from this is.

Message 15 of 19

"The only workaround is not to name the customised templates Standard but it is more convenient to name them Standard.

Ummm....isn't this common knowledge and a bit of common sense? No offense but why name your custom templates as "Standard" or whatever the system default is, thus over-writing that default? What if you ever need to go back to the system default file?

I was told to avoid doing such back on Rel 3 and have always renamed my custom templates a different name other than what the system defaults are. I know from experience that there will come a time where you'll have to go back to those defaults. If you customize them and over-write them, you're toast.

Always, ALWAYS name your customized templates to a custom name and simply point to them in the template folder of your ipj.

Sorry, I don't mean to be mean or anything, I'm just shaking my head at this issue. I guess it should be more upfront and noticable for customers on AutoDesk's behalf. It should be common knowledge to everyone.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 16 of 19

Yes and no.  You raise a fair point.  First, it never occurred to me that it should make a difference.  If the software comes with vanilla templates, just modifying them and leave them named as they come and keep a copy of them somewhere close by seems perfectly reasonable.  Second, I don't want to have twice the number of default templates in my default location.  Yes, I could move the 'standard.zzz' but again, there isn't any obvious reason that I should have to.  If this was a problem from so far back, then why is it still present?

Apart from overwriting the templates, this particular meltdown also overwrites all the Application Options.  There is a serious flaw in here. 

I will rename my defaults and get back to work, ducking and dodging the next random 'feature' trying to crash my progress.  Save your progress often, like it's 1993.

Message 17 of 19

I never overwrite the default templates, but I do place our customized templates on our server and name them Standard, because that's what Inventor uses to populate the New pull-down menu, and for imported files.  I keep a copy of our templates in another folder, so when the Standard (and Sheet Metal and Weld) templates get overwritten I just copy the backups back in place and we're good to go.  But it is really annoying!

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 18 of 19
johan_brostrom

Now we have Inventor 2014.

When importing Application Options the template files will be overwritten if the tag File is present in the xml-file, even if it doesn't contain any attributes. If the tag File is removed from the application options xml nothing happens to the templates.

It is not the default templates that are overwritten. It is the templates that the project file Folder Options is set to, which of course can be set to Default or the same as Default. (The function Configure Default Template... also configures the templates in the folder set by the project file, not the ones in the Default templates path set by Application Options.)

If the project file uses the default location for templates it is not the Default templates path set by the imported xml-file that gets overwritten upon import, but the path used prior to the import of Application Options.

If the function Configure Default Template... has Measurement Units - Default set to Millimeters the templates will be overwritten by templates found in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Templates\Metric.  For example Standard.ipt will be replaced by Standard (mm).ipt.

If Measurement Units - Default is set to Inches the templates will be overwritten by the ones found in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2014\Templates\English.

Johan Broström

Message 19 of 19
rki
Participant
in reply to: CelticDesignServices

Jim, 

I don’t think you understand the issue here, let me try to explain.

If you want to make easy guidelines for your inventor users on how to setup the system. It is really no good that they have to go back and delete files after importing the .xml. (and this is what you need to do if you want to be sure the users uses the right templetes)

In my opinion the application setup export import is a good way of distributing a general setup across a site. But now with this little setback……

Rasmus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report