I have been running Compability Mode all yesterday, but have not made any noticeable difference for me.
We rarely use shaded views, idw's I've been working with now doesn't have shaded views.
Needer does it have hatching
Idw is often really slow when i select, edit, delete and move text, balloons, revisions, model views etc...
Ipn is almost the same way. When i double click a part i want to tweak the tweak component pops up fast, thats when trouble starts. when i want to select direction or add component inventor freezes for 4-15s (some times more,) before the part are highlighted and i can select. If i then hover cursor over other components the highlight shows immediately. When adding components it starts all over.
iam is some times as above, when i use measure tool...
When you say you have the same problems, can you please confirm :
- Compatibility mode improves general drawing performance for you
- Using Bitmap mode for shaded views improves performance
What problems do you have with IPN's ? Performance or otherwise ? Are you able to share any examples ?
One thing you can try in your assembly & IPN file is to remove all unused styles using the Purge command, or via a Task Scheduler batch task.
Would you be able to share an example of one of your problem ipn/idw files ?
You can email me at chrisDOTmitchellATautodeskDOTcom & I will provide you a way to get the data if it's too large for email.
Please aslo include mention of your h/w configuration including graphics driver info.
I'm a french Autodesk VAR and one of my customer has the exact same problem on his 3 mobile workstations (Dell Precision M6600 with french windows 7 Pro x64 SP1, 8Go, intel i7 2860QM, NVidia Quadro 4000M), with Inventor 2013 french or Inv Pro 2013 french.
With a single cube with one counterbore hole in it, the IDW is very slow with 4 views and some dimensions.
Here is what I noticed :
- it's and NVidia graphic card (I precise this point because on my Dell Precision M6500, win 7 Pro x64 SP1, 8Go, intel i7 Q820, Ati Firepro M7740, Inventor Pro Factory design suite ultimate 2013 french) I don't have the problem.
- there is no more problem (or at least much less problem) when Inventor is not in full screen.
- when starting the new drawing there is no problem for about 2 minutes, then it starts to slow down.
I did the exact same modifications on the two workstations and on the M6600 with nvidia GC I have the problem in less than one minute (after adding a few dimensions) whereas on mine with ATI GC I don't have any problem.
I'll try to update the graphic driver to the version recommanded by autodesk on the website and see if it's better.
edit : it's not better nor worse. Other thing I noticed :
- the only things that are slow here are panning, zooming, and rotating (for a 3D model) and zooming is not affected with mouse scrolling. It's really probably a graphics issue in my case. I can move views, add dimensions and so on quite smoothly. But it's still maybe a lead ?
We did some further tests to compare nVidia & ATI cards & we definitely see better graphics performance (pan, zoom), when working in Compatibility mode, on cards from both vendors. Note that for the change to compatibility mode to take effect you need to exit Inventor completely. This only applies to drawings though.
Performance mode still yields much better results in parts/assemblies though.
Can you confirm if you exited Inventor when you were doing your tests & changing to compatibility ?
Hi, we did more testing here as well. Here is what happen in our case :
- at the beginning it works fine and fluently then after a few dimensions or annotations are made on the drawing, it starts to slow down (1 core at 100%)
- the pan shortcut on the mouse center button doesn't really work anymore (and the processor has one core at 100% for inventor, even when the button is released)
- the zoom on the mouse wheel works fine
- the functions keys (F2, F3 and F4 if we then open the 3D model) works but not in real time : I can use it but I see the view updated only when I release the key. For example I want to pan the view, so I press F2, click on the mouse and move it. I should see the view moving in real time when I move the mouse but I don't, however as soon as I release F2 key the view is paned (same behavior for zooming and rotating the view with the keys or the buttons)
- I think none of the buttons in Inventor button works anymore (I didn't test everything but for example export > pdf shows no window, save as neither, options, neither...) but if I choose the function in the ribbon or the quick access toolbar, or by RMB it works
- when we switch to a lower screen resolution, it tends to work better but not always. I tried several times when the drawing was "locked" to switch to 1280*1024 instead of 1920*1080 and I get the fluidity back for a moment (without changing anything on the drawing, nor closing Inventor). If I go back to 1920*1080 > slow performance, back to 12880*1024 > fluid. Some times it didn't work.
- I had the same behavior being in compatibility mode or performance mode, or even with hardware renderer checked.
Well, here is what I can tell here. Maybe can someone with the problem see if changing the screen resolution helps. I doen't work each time but in most of the cases it did.
I hope it will help to debug this problem.
I haven't seen the performance before, and also tried in my side with a desktop workstaiton with NVIDIA Quadro 4000 card and resolution 1920x1080, still could not reproduce. So below are some items I want to confirm with you to help up dianose this problem:
1. For your Dell M6600 workstation, have you tried the certified driver which was posted in Autodesk public hardware certified page?
2. Have you ever met such problem with Inventor 2012?
3. Can you send the drawing file to us? You can send it to Chris, and I will get from him.
-Lisa (Inventor QA)
I came in this discussion because I have exactly the same problems as aguitton116 describes in his post 46.
I'm a french Factroy design suite Premium user.
Hard : DELL M6600 + Windows 7 64 bit + CPU Intel core i7 2820QM 2,30 GHz + Nvidia Quadro 4000M + 16 Go RAM.
I'm working on files originally made in Inventor 2012 or even 2011 (it's a huge and long project). I've never seen this beore. Since I installed IFDSPRM : no problem with 3D model (single piece or 10000 pieces assembly). The problem occurs only with IDWs : even with a single simple part : when I put a single dimension or note, the pan zoom with the mouse middle button is no more working, all other zooms are very slow,...as I said : exactly the same situation described by aguitton116.
Historic of my 2013 version installation :
I first mis- downloaded the full english version pachage. Then I noticed it when I started installation and downloaded the additionnal french language pack to avoid another 26 Go full download. After this I started to work and noticed the problem.
I installed then Inventor SP1 and latest Nvidia drivers (as well as the driver indicated by your link in post 47) : no changes.
I also noticed that when I launched the English version (because when you downlaod the french pack you can launch english or french version) the problem was not occuring.
Then I thought the problem came from french language pack. I decided to downlaod the full french IFDSPRM a nd installed it --> problem still here.
I unistalled it and installed onl the full english version again : no more problem!! yeah!!
Maybe the problem comes from the french version?
NB : I have another colleague user who had the same problem but he tried another solution : complete re-installation of laptop starting from Windows : he also solved the problem (but this solution is a bit long to migrate from v2012 to v2013....)
I hope this will contribute to help you solve this problem.
I had an idw that opened after 43 min. I just saved it, closed and then it opened straight away. I restarted the PC to clean the RAM. Then it opened after 4 min. I have recently updated with update 2 for Inventor, so I think that was the solution. Maybe Inventor had a save issue in earlier updates?
Thanks a lot for your detail information about the performance issue you met. We will have some investigation on Inventor with french language pack, see whether we can reproduce the same problem as you, will keep you update if we have more findings.
Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register
Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.