Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 crashes upon assembly update

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
alexander.o.pettersson
1761 Views, 12 Replies

Inventor 2013 crashes upon assembly update

Hi,

I'm running Inventor 2013 professional and I'm working on a project in wich I'm re-using some subassemblies in other assemblies. I've made some changes to the sub-assemblies when re-using them so I've copied the parts affected in design assistant.

Now to the problem. At some point in the project I've must have done something wrong when making a change to a re-used subassembly. Now every time I open one of my three major assemblies I get a message that changes have been made to some components (see attachment) and are asked if I want to update the assembly. When clicking YES Inventor crashes, every time.

I really hope this problem can be solved since I noticed that the back-up of my project is corrupt as well.

Kind regards,

Alex

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

anyone?

Message 3 of 13

Hello Alex,

Thank you so much for reporting this issue. Can you please try few things?

• Say ‘No’ to update while opening assembly/ When assembly opens, Go to ‘Manage’ tab/ Click on ‘Rebuild all’ / then save the assembly.

If this does not helps

• While opening an assembly click on ‘Options’ command in the ‘Open’ dialog box/ Set LOD to ‘All component suppressed’/ Open the assembly/ Set active LOD as ‘master’ or your custom LOD/ Click on ‘Rebuild all’ / then save the assembly.

I hope this helps. If not, Can you please provide your dataset to me for more investigation?

Thank you,

Maulik R Patel (maulikr.patel@autodesk.com)
SQA Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 13

Hi! When Inventor crashes, did you submit crash reports? If yes, please send me a private email to (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com) so I can find the reports you submitted. If no, please submit the crash report and let me you when you are done.

With the crash reports, it is easier to tell where the problem is without having your dataset. If your dataset is needed to reproduce the crash, I will let you know.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 13
blair
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Are all the sub-assemblies fine? Have you opened each sub and verified that each one is fine.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 13

Hi Maulik,

Thank you for the answer.

I followed the first instructions and it seems to have solved the problem, phew.  What does the rebuild all actually do?

/Alex

Message 7 of 13

Hi Johnson,

Yes I did. Do you still want me to send you an e-mail even though the problem is solved?

Message 8 of 13

Hi Alex,

I am glad that your problem got solved. ‘Rebuild All’ regenerates whole assembly file and updates all components in it(including those not needed an update).

Thanks

Maulik R Patel (maulikr.patel@autodesk.com)
SQA Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 13

Hi! I am so glad to hear the issue is resolved. It seems like there was an issue earlier which got fixed by later update/SPx. Even though I have not see the crash, I believe it should be the case. Rebuild All basically computes the assembly from bottom to top based on given assembly constraints and updated part geometry. If a part geometry needs to be computed, it will be recomputed along with the command.

If you see other issues, please feel free contacting me.

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 13
8wr_zj
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I've tried both of the suggestions in the above post and i still have not been able to update my assembly. Help would be greatly appericated.
Inventor Pro 2014
nivida k6000
24 G RAM
Message 11 of 13
blair
in reply to: 8wr_zj

What exactly is the error or Inventor message that you are getting.

Do all the sub assemblies reside in the current Work Directory?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 12 of 13
8wr_zj
in reply to: blair

I am not getting an error message but if i accept the update, it gives me a not responding situation (screen goes kinda white and I get the blue swirl) and eventually i have to close inventor out.  i have let it stand 1.5 hours hoping it would update, but it does not.  All i did was change one thing and it was very small change at that.  I think it may have something to do with the welds that are in the IAM file.  Anytime i try to do anything that changes are manipulates the welds i get this situation.  I can open and decline the update and everything seems to be fine.

I hav e about 8 idw files refrencing this assembly i do not know if that matters.  IAM has 30 parts and 12 weld not a complicated one at all.

Inventor Pro 2014
nivida k6000
24 G RAM
Message 13 of 13
blair
in reply to: 8wr_zj

Check to make sure you are current on all SP's and hot-fixes for your product.

I would start checking each file for issues (process of elimination) for a corrupt file.

You have exited from the weld module when you are trying to save the assembly

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report