Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 and 14 STL Conversion Error

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Arcathorn
366 Views, 6 Replies

Inventor 2013 and 14 STL Conversion Error

I have a interesting problem. I created an assembly for a customer of mine who wants a STL of a sword for a possible 3D print situation. I created the part in inches and finished it. When I converted I made sure the document units were set to inches and the export options were as well. However whenever they upload it or check it in other software it is coming up miniscule like it was drawn in mm or cm. I have gone through a number of forums and updated to the latest service pack without issue. Is the issue related to the fact its an assembly being converted to an STL? I have done it before without issue. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached the STL in question.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
GSE_Dan_A
in reply to: Arcathorn

Seems to be ok when opened in Inventor 2014. As a check, I measured approximate 56" from handle end to blade tip. And a blade width of 2.5"

GSE Consultants Inc.
Windsor, ON. Canada
Message 3 of 7
Cadmanto
in reply to: GSE_Dan_A

What software are they using on their end to convert it for printing, Catalyst?

Is it possible it is on their end that something to do with thier settings?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 7
Arcathorn

It's shapeways and I am not sure what there automated system uses. And yes those dimensions are correct. If I only convert the base parts they come out fine but as a unit it malfunctions
Message 5 of 7
JDMather

There should be a setting in the end software to change units if needed.

We do this all the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
Cadmanto

Sounds like the assembly is tripping it up.  Any chance of assembling it in the end software?

check.PNGIf this solved your issue please mark this posting "Accept as Solution".

Or if you like something that was said and it was helpful, Kudoskudos.PNG are appreciated. Thanks!!!! Smiley Very Happy

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 7 of 7
graemev

When uploading to Shapeways, you must specify units.  It's likely to have defaulted to millimeters.  Uploading again with correct units should solve the issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report