Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 Won't Start

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
wth_187
3823 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor 2013 Won't Start

I have Inventor 2013 installed on this computer. It was working fine up until recently, when this error started appearing:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RfQMn.png[/img]

Every time I try to start the program. No idea what the problem is-- the software's all authorised etc.

Anyone know what's going wrong here...?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
wth_187
in reply to: wth_187

I should perhaps also point out that I have Autodesk Mudbox, Maya and 3DSMax also installed, all 2013 versions.

Message 3 of 12
JDMather

Have you rebooted the computer?

Have you tried a Repair Install (with UAC and antivirus turned off)?

Did you create a Windows Restore Point after initially installing the software and verifying that it was running correctly.

If so, then return to this Restore Point.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
wth_187

Rebooting doesn't work, and when I try to run setup.exe (with UAC turned off-- I'm unable to turn of Sophos antivirus, somehow lacking the relevant rights) I get the following message:

The system cannot open the device or file specified.

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Setup\en-US\Setup\x86\en-us\Components\adr2013\SetupDesignReview2013.msi

Furthermore I do not have a relevant restore point.

Message 5 of 12
sam_m

@wth_187 wrote:

Rebooting doesn't work, and when I try to run setup.exe (with UAC turned off-- I'm unable to turn of Sophos antivirus, somehow lacking the relevant rights) I get the following message:

The system cannot open the device or file specified.

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Setup\en-US\Setup\x86\en-us\Components\adr2013\SetupDesignReview2013.msi

Furthermore I do not have a relevant restore point.

If you are lacking the rights to disable the anti-virus are you an admin on the pc?  I believe you need to be to install the software correctly. (along with disabling the UAC, etc).

System specs?

Drivers up to date?

Windows version? (if you're on Win8, no Inventor is supported and probably won't work, so use Win7)

If it was working then did anything happen to the pc at a similar time to it stopping working?  update any drivers or   windows update (which can have some amazing abilitiy to kill Inventor/software).  Or IT dept run an automated update of anything through the network?  If nothing obvious has changed then the best option would probably be a repair install, or remove Inventor (inc any registry-entries) and install it again, as mentioned by JD.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 6 of 12
JDMather

@wth_187 wrote:

I'm unable to turn of Sophos antivirus, somehow lacking the relevant rights)

Can you Ctrl Alt Delete and Stop the antivirus process?

If Repair Install doesn't work - search Google for Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions before starting over.

When you get it working create a Restore Point this time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
mslosar
in reply to: sam_m

While it may not be supported under Windows 8, it does work under windows 8.

Sounds like the AV or limited rights are causing the problem.

Inventor is a program that needs to run at least once with full administrative rights to get the program to operate normally when running as a standard user thereafter.

Message 8 of 12
wth_187
in reply to: mslosar

I allegedly have full admin rights and I have some control over what my antivirus does and doesn't allow-- I am, however, unable to actually turn it off. Besides that, I tried a clean uninstall, but the most recent guide I could find online was for Inventor 2012, which I stupidly used anyway. Now, I installed it again, and when I try to activate the product at startup, I type in my serial etc. and Inventor just crashes.

Should I uninstall again? Which registry files should I delete for 2013?

Message 9 of 12
wth_187

... Anyone? Do you still think it's a problem caused by my antivirus?

Message 10 of 12
JDMather

@wth_187 wrote:

... Anyone? Do you still think it's a problem caused by my antivirus?

My experience with this type of problem is that it is very difficult to diagnose unless sitting in front of the computer, and even then can be maddening.

Might require a complete Reformat and re-install.

Create Restore Points!

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
anilvergil
in reply to: JDMather

*Brothers & Friends* If you getting an error {" THE SYSTEM CANNOT OPEN THE DEVICE OR FILE SPECIFIED "} when installing means follow these simple steps [FOR FRESH INSTALL USERS] Step 1: Disable (or) OFF UAC(user account Control), Disable Anti-virus Programs (or You can uninstall the antivirus if u wish) Step 2: Install Setup by Right click Run as Administrator IF ERROR COMES AGAIN --Use These Step-- Find and delete the any files and folder that related to which you try install the product Eg:- If U getting the above error in 3DS MAX means Find and delete 3ds max related files and folders in C DRIVE [Mainly delete if u have in My DOCUMENTS] Step 3: Use C Cleaner to Clean Registry (When clicking Fix Selected, it asked u to backup or not, select NO , Run DISK CLEANUP (Select all things and click Clean system files also then check once again all thing were selected then click OK) Step 4:Go to Run Type %temp% select ok delete the files, Now Delete the files in Recycle Bin. Repeat the Step 2 If Doesn't Work Email Me ( anil.new14@gmail.com ) [FOR ALREADY INSTALLED USERS] Ok, If the Software Worked early for U, But Now Doesn't Running means Step 1:Find and delete the any files and folder that related to which you try install the product Eg:- If U getting the above error 3DS MAX means Find and delete 3DS MAX related files and folders in MY DOCUMENTS (IMPORTANT) and in C:\Program Files\Autodesk\ {ur product} delete (Delete from Recycle Bin also) Step 2: Then Install Setup by Right click Run as Administrator IF ERROR COMES AGAIN --Use These Step-- Step 3: Use C CLEANER to Uninstall the Product then Use C Cleaner to Clean Registry (When clicking Fix Selected, it asked u to backup or not, select NO , Run DISK CLEANUP (Select all things and click Clean system files also then check once again all thing were selected then click OK) Step 4: Go to Run Type %temp% select ok delete the files, Now Delete the files in Recycle Bin. Step 5: Disable (or) OFF UAC(user account Control), Disable Anti-virus Programs (or You can uninstall the antivirus if u wish) Check the step 5 instruction before u install the setup as Administrator Step 5: Install Setup by Right click Run as Administrator If Doesn't Work Email Me ( anil.new14@gmail.com ) USE THIS IF U WISH-- Put an WINDOWS OS in Another Drive and install the Product
Message 12 of 12
Alfredfzx

Hello people I found that opening inventor fussion and professional (at the same time), allow me to open inventor. It pops up a license window... but I don't know how it works. I have inventor professional 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report