I have been using Inventor to automate models and assemblies for quite a while, but I find it very difficult to automate drawings. Below is my wish list that could help address this.
1. Have the option of useing the parameters table within the drawing environment. Just like the parameters table in the part and assembly files, be able to link to excel or other ipt or iam files. When creating a dimension in a sketch in a drawing, I would like to see the option of "list parameters".
2. Have groups of dimensions (layers) in drawings that can be suppressed according to parameters. If I have a feature in 1 part that is not in a very similar part, it can suppress the dimensions instead of turning them pink. I imagine this could be similar to the feature properties in an ipt.
3. iLogic- better integration of multi-bodied parts. Getting the volume and surface area of a certain body is not impossible, but it is very difficult.
4. Better documentation on iLogic. It is a powerfull tool, but it is difficult to find support materials for more advanced problems. I don't even know where I can find a list of possible commands.
5. Tsplines in Inventor. The Product Design suite has 3ds Max and Inventor... Tsplines would be a great addition.
6. Better surfacing tools. The more functionality that is added for surfacing, the easier my job becomes. Being able to seamlessly switch between solid and surface is great, but a lot of work is repeated because surface modelling does not have the same functionality as solid modelling. Why can't I extrude a hole in a surface?
If you need any clarification on any of these points, feel free to contact me. alleman (at) thunderheaddesign.net
I wish that Inventor 2013+ was truly x64 application and Multi-Core supported.
IT Administrator For:
Inventor 2012 Ultimate, Premium, Standard and Mechanical 2012
May seem small but it would be nice to have sub folders in the templates folder. When I do this now, it does not show the sub-folders in templates (even with Inventor files in them).....
For 1. just hit the little pencil icon in the edit dimension dialog, that takes you to the format text dialog where you can use the parameters. (I use it mainly for bolt circle diameters, except in the hole note you have to exit the edit hole note dialog and right click to select "Text ...")
For 2. I don't understand why you would want to just suppress a dimension to something that does not exist.
My personal wish is that things would work the same across environments. For instance a feature pattern created in an assembly or sub assembly can't be used when patterning parts; using a parameter in a dimension is fine in a part but always results in a "cyclical dependency" in an assembly, and just plain pukes a sketch in a drawing (say, for a title block etc. or otherwise); etc..
I'm still on 2010, so maybe they fixed this bug in 2011, 2012, or 2013? If not; here's hoping for 2014!
This should be changed to 2014 wish list as 2013 is already set in stone and has been for months. Heck it should be available in just a few weeks..
"I would like to have a new Inventor assembly constraint of symmetry. This constraint would work with the origins of selected parts or assemblies (2 entities) and a middle plane selected for the symmetry."
This was one of my big gripes switching from SW to IV. If you ever mate in SW you'll be mad at AutoDesk for falling so far behind in mate functionality.
Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.