Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 Wish List?

112 REPLIES 112
SOLVED
Message 1 of 113
FProcp
14570 Views, 112 Replies

Inventor 2013 Wish List?

Man Sad

I would like to be able to move parts/assemblies around in Inventor very quickly but very accurately.

Like you can move something in AutoCAD.

When you go into the move command it would be nice to be able to enter exact x,y or z values for movement.

Maybe it could be added to the "Grip Snap" function where you select an edge on the part or something, or the x,y,z axis and move an inputed distance.

I think it would be beneficial to be able to quickly and accurately move parts around before starting to apply assembly constraints?

I know you can do quite a bit with "Grip Snap" and from iproperties "Current Offset From..." but I'm not sure if it's simple and quick?

Franco
GMT +08:00
112 REPLIES 112
Message 61 of 113
FProcp
in reply to: udayag

Thankyou very much for your assistance Udaya.

I do wish though that this function of moving grounded 3D points was more obvious to users. Smiley Frustrated

Franco
GMT +08:00
Message 62 of 113
udayag
in reply to: FProcp

I agree that there is room for improvement, including being better documented. Move/Rotate is a general tool (rather than being exclusive to grounded work points) which can be accessed through the Inventor API, to be incorporated in any custom command to position an object.  

Franc, let me know if you have not figured out the usage of this tool fully. Thanks.

Udaya Gunasena
Fusion Development
Autodesk
Message 63 of 113
JimSteinmeyer
in reply to: udayag

First I would like to be able to constrain parallel without having to set the distance as in an offset. Many times I want to restrain an object from spinning by aligning with an origon plane.

Second I would like to be able to fold and unfold sheetmetal components. Often I would like a cut to cross the bend lines for easier fitup.If I could flatten the part and create a cut, then refold the part with the cut remaining active life would work better.

Third, when making assembly drawings I would like to be able to create a BOM parts list of the assembly and then place individual components on following pages and be able to bollon the components based off the origional BOM parts list.

Fourth, when creating a flange or an edge feature line a radisus or chamber I would like to be able to pick the line and move the end to alter the length of the feature. This could make flanges with unequil length sides ( or sides not perpendicular to the edge) as well as edge treatments that only extend part way along the edge.

There are many more but I am not thinking of them at the moment. I know that there are work-arounds that allow some of these goals to be meet, but they take extra work and time or are not always robust.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 64 of 113

For the upteenth time (ever since Rev 3) I'll make this request:

The ability to use in-stream modifiers in the dimension command.

If you recall CADDS5i, you know what I mean.

Basically, the general dimension command should have a menu where you can select all the options of dimensioning you might need, such as Pre-fixed text, post text, Feature Control Symbols, tolerances, etc.

Allowing the user to then insert all the dimensions where they need those settings and then be able to go back to the menu (roll-up/rolldown type menu would help here) and change the settings on the fly as he needs while still in the dimension command. In essence the user should be able to insert EVERY dimension he needs without leaving the dimension command.

If anyone at ADesk needs more clarification, feel free to contact me.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 65 of 113

I have come up with another this afternoon. I would like to be able to create a NON-symetrical cut. If I place a skketch on a surface and want to cut 3" one direction and .75" the other I currently need to place datun planes and use the from-to command, or I need to make 2 cuts. It would be nice to be able to specify two dimensions in the cut menu and be done with it.

Jim

Inventor Premium 2013 SP1.1
Vault 2013- plain vanilla version
HP G71 notebook
celeron cpu w\ 4gb RAM and 64 bit system
Win 7 home premium

Ya, my boss has me running my personal machine at work.
Message 66 of 113
rdyson
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

IV 2012, not sure when it was added.extrude.jpg

PDSU 2016
Message 67 of 113
jeanchile
in reply to: rdyson

I have it in 2011 as well. Use it often.

Inventor Professional
Message 68 of 113
jeanchile
in reply to: JimSteinmeyer

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

First I would like to be able to constrain parallel without having to set the distance as in an offset. Many times I want to restrain an object from spinning by aligning with an origon plane.

Use an angle constraint with the degrees set to 0.

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

Second I would like to be able to fold and unfold sheetmetal components. Often I would like a cut to cross the bend lines for easier fitup.If I could flatten the part and create a cut, then refold the part with the cut remaining active life would work better.

Use the unfold and refold tool. I have done this very thing in the past.

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

Third, when making assembly drawings I would like to be able to create a BOM parts list of the assembly and then place individual components on following pages and be able to bollon the components based off the origional BOM parts list.

The workflow for this is to create a custom iProperty that you fill in the item number yourself. Then create a ballon style to reference that custom iProperty. There have been a few posts in the past that cover this but if you need more assistance, let me know.

@JimSteinmeyer wrote:

Fourth, when creating a flange or an edge feature line a radisus or chamber I would like to be able to pick the line and move the end to alter the length of the feature. This could make flanges with unequil length sides ( or sides not perpendicular to the edge) as well as edge treatments that only extend part way along the edge.

This one you got me. The only thing I have done in the past is set up work planes and slices to get the feature where I need it. Cumbersome to say the least and I think AD could help this issue.

Good luck!

Inventor Professional
Message 69 of 113

Hi

Your second comment about unfolding and refolding sheetmetal has been possible for a while now, out of curiosity what version of Inventor are you using ?

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 70 of 113
TITOPERON4108

Since Inventor version 2 I wish the NORMAL CUT option when I create a angular cut over a bent sheet metal profile, the one that gives me a normal cut on sheet metal when it is flattened. It is present on Solidworks and Soliedge for many years.

Tags (1)
Message 71 of 113
marco_celm
in reply to: TITOPERON4108

Drawing environment,

imagine having two cubes partially overlapping in an isometric view:

I would like to choose a fourth option other than hidden lines, no hidden lines and shaded:

what I  would call "hybrid hidden lines": with this visualization options you should be able

to see the hidden lines of the object behind, but not all the lines, only the ones that would have been visible

(no hidden) if the object behind were "alone", without the object in front. (see attachment)

In this way you should be able to get the shape of the objects behind without introducing too much clutter in the view.

Message 72 of 113
stevec781
in reply to: marco_celm

Similar to above.  eg if you have an engine behind a wall, to see the engine you select hidden but it also shows all the hidden lines of the engine as well and create a big mess.  I just want the outline of the engine shown as hidden lines. 

But I would also like some simple things.

I would like extrude, fillet & chamfer to auto highlight the distance field and remember my last entry.

I would like to be able to dimension an arc length in a sketch.

I would like to be able to create a drawing from an open part.  ie when in part right click and choose create drawing and have it open a drawing and be ready to insert views.

From a part file I would like to be able to send it straight to an existing assembly.  The current way of searching through the directories for a file name when it is already open is wearing thin.

I would like to be able to extrude an open profile and give it a thickness at the same time.

I would like to set a default increment and use the mouse wheel to increment distances in the distance entry fields, especialy when patterning.  What's the point of these new short cut pop up menus if you have to let go of the mouse and move to the keypad all the time.

Forget the fancy stuff, how about going back and getting the basics as efficient and user friendly as they can be.

I forgot,

I also want to be able to over ride cog positions as well as mass, ie to enter the correct cog information for a 3rd party engine model.  Again why let us over ride mass if we cant give it its correct position.

and I would like to be able to edit the angles which are currently greyed out in the Iprops occurence tab.  Why even display them if we cant change them.

Message 73 of 113

Let me add this one:

Add the ability to insert components into an assebly with Precise Input!!!

Simply add this option to the Place command menu so the user can use it or not.

This would be really helpful for users who need to insert parts or subassemblies at a specific location in regards to a global positioning point.

New EE Logo.PNG

Inventor.PNG     vault.PNG

Jim
Celtic Design Services, LLC

Inventor/AutoCAD/Vault WorkGroups
Always for hire - celticdesign01ATyahooDOTcom
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Celtic-Design-Services-LLC/184666001666426
==========================================================
Please use the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" functions as appropriate to further enhance the value of these forums.

Go raibh maith agat (in other words...Thank you!)
Message 74 of 113
Anthony

I agree with this, a command similar to AutoCADs 'insert with base point' would be useful, it can sometimes be annoyingly random where the parts are placed in an assembly.

Anthony Goodwin ~ Cad Manager/Senior Designer
Autodesk Inventor Professional 2013 SP2 64-Bit Edition
Windows 7 HP Z400, Intel Xeon W3550 3.07GHz
12.0GB RAM, ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
Message 75 of 113
Quil

Multithreading function for every part of the Inventor, not just some.

More stable program, editing parts sometimes freezes it.

Stable frame generator.

And some other minor tweaks, work-flow is almost perfect, just sometimes you have to add work planes or points / axes but its not something that would upset me as freezing / slow processing when editing complex parts / assemblies.

Message 76 of 113
mrattray

I would like to see iLogic respond to ctrl+break. 

Mike (not Matt) Rattray

Message 77 of 113
stevenguy
in reply to: mrattray

I wish Inventor 2013 stop crashing.

Thanks

Steve Nguyen
CAD Admin/ Eng
Inventor Pro, Inventor Publisher & Vault 2016
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @3.47GHz (2 processors)
Mem 48.0 GB
OS Win 8.1 64-bit
Graphic Card: Quadro FX 4800
Message 78 of 113
richiesuk

haah, wake up....

Message 79 of 113
michaelhahn

1) Slot command in the sketch environment or as a feature.

2) Slot description in the hole and thread note.

3) Different colors for model dimension and annotative dimensions.

4) Plus or Minus (or whatever) in the tree next to each part showing if the part is fully constrained or not easily.

5) Balloons on separate sheets that follow parts list of assembly on first sheet (some need to detail individual parts on multiple sheets and refer to parts list on sheet 1)

6) Mass to be calculated easily without creating a user parameter.

Message 80 of 113
dieter

Beim Gestellgenerator sollte es mehr automatische Optionen für den Stahlbau geben. Plattenverbindungen, Streben, Treppentool,....

So ähnlich wie bei ASI-Profile, nur auf Basis des Gestellgenerators!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report