Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 Non-Responsive for long periods of time

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
kkpatel87
1522 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor 2013 Non-Responsive for long periods of time

All,

Using Inventor 2013, on a solid machine and after applying the Update 2, everything has gone sideways. Trying to open a new presentation file or modify any presentation file and the application becomes unresponsive and it starts writing a bunch of adsklib files in the \Appdata\local\temp\MaterialLibraries_PID_604. We have aeverything on a network share. This usually happens for about 30 minutes and then it becomes responsive again. MAchine has been thoroughly tested and burned in. This happens across our fleet of Dells and custom workstations.

Machine Stats:

Intel 17-3770K

64 GB DDR3 RAM

4x SSD RAID0

Quadro 4000

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Yijiang.Cai
in reply to: kkpatel87

Are the templates also shared in network folder for your environment? Could you provide more details?

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 12
krunal.patel
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

The templates are located on a network location as is the project file.

Message 4 of 12
blair

Copy the files to a local machine, and create a new Project file for the local machine and see if the problem continues. Chances are you could have a network issue.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 5 of 12
kkpatel87
in reply to: blair

We did, and that did solve the problem however i want to know why Inventor spits out all those temp adsklib files and slows down incredibly.

Message 6 of 12
blair

Inventor is timing out and creating the log files as designed. You problem is not with Inventor but with your network.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 7 of 12
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: blair

Please try mapping a network drive to the location of your templates instead of using a UNC path & then defininng that in your ipj file.

We've had reports from a couple of customers with templates on the network, in a file structure that contains a lot of other data, which results in performance issues.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 12
kkpatel87
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

We have tried that and it causes a minor improvement but nothing substantial. I have determined it is a network issue and not a Inventor issue. Thanks for all your help.

Message 9 of 12
henrik.andersen

It's not a network issue

I have the same problem and can replicate it on a local environment

The problem occurs when you have mapped a material/apperancy-library in your project file.

I have created a custom material library file from migrating a 2012 design data but you will get the same result using a copy of the InventorMaterialLibrary.adsklib and then I mapped the file in the projecte file. This will make inventor really slow. And when I examined the activity on the Inventor process I saw that inventor creates more than 1000 copies of the materia library file in my temp folder.

To replicate this error do following steps.

1. Go to folder in explorer: Libraries>Documents>Shared Documents>Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\Materials
  2. Make a copy of the file InventorMaterialLibrary.adsklib and rename it to mylib.adsklib
  3. Go to folder in explorer: Libraries>Documents>Shared Documents>Autodesk\Inventor 2013\
  4. Create a copy of the default.ipj named MyProject.ipj
  5. Edit myProject.ipj and add your adsklib-file to your project for both Apperance Libraries and Material Libraries and set it to active
  6. Open inventor with the new project file active
  7. Create a new part file
  8. Select Derive from [3d Model]>[Create]
  9. select "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Samples\Models\Assemblies\Engine MKII\Engine MKII.iam" 
    (downloaded from http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autodesk_inventor_2013_samples.exe )
  10. Inventor will then go into not-responing-mode and if you examine you tempfolder you will find multiple copies of mylib.adsklib files in a MaterialLibraries_PID_* folder
  11. If you run Process Monitor and by selecting Include when rightclicking on inventor.exe you will se that the process works with making copies of the mylib-file 
    (Process monitor downloaded from http://live.sysinternals.com/Procmon.exe)
  12. If you then go back to your MyLib.adsklib file and rename/delete it you will see that Inventor directly displays the derive-dialog.

And yes, I have installed Servicepack 1.1

//Henrik Andersen

henrik.andersen@cadcraft.se

Message 10 of 12

Henrik,

It is not recommended you make a hard copy of Inventor Material Library and rename it for futher use. The issue with this workflow is that the newly copied library file will still be recognized as Inventor Material Library. It can confuse Inventor in certain operations.

I have seen the behavior you described here from time to time without doing the replicating Inventor Material Library workflow. Unfortunately, I have not yet found a persistent way to reproduce it. I want to make sure you are seeing the same behavior as I am seeing. Please help me answer the following questions.

1. When Inventor behaves slowly, does creating a line in a simple sketch takes a long time?

2. After it happens, does rebooting or restarting Inventor help?

3. Does uninstalling the service pack and reinstalling it help?

4. If you start a different Inventor release like R2012 or earlier and close it and then restart R2013, does it help?

Please let me know what you find out.

Many thanks for your help!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 12

1. When Inventor behaves slowly, does creating a line in a simple sketch takes a long time? 

- No, this works fine. 

2. After it happens, does rebooting or restarting Inventor help?

- No, 

3. Does uninstalling the service pack and reinstalling it help?

- Have not tried it. But i hade the same problem before installing SP 1.1 

4. If you start a different Inventor release like R2012 or earlier and close it and then restart R2013, does it help?

- No. does nt make any differance. 

I have found out that Inventor behaves differently depeding how i start and how I select the project. When I closed Inventor and then started by double click on my part-file I got the result that Invetor started the Copy Loop with the InventorMaterialLibrary file instead of my own. 

C:\Users\HEAN\AppData\Local\Temp\MaterialLibraries_PID_2bb0\InventorMaterialLibrary(221).adsklib

And I have tried to create and recreate my own library files but when this didn't work I tried a copy of Inventors own material library file. So i do not think I am confusing the program. It is confused from the start.

Message 12 of 12

I have now tried to narrowing it down and accually get the same result without creating a custom library file. It was just that the performance imrpoved when I deleted my own project.

Do this to replicate the problem

1. downloaded sampel files from from http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/autodesk_inventor_2013_samples.exe 
  2. select "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Samples\Samples.ipj" 
  3. Crete a new part
  4. Start Process Monitor and by selecting Include when right clicking on inventor.exe
    - Process monitor downloaded from http://live.sysinternals.com/Procmon.exe  
  5. Select Derive from [3d Model]>[Create]
  6. select "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Samples\Models\Assemblies\Engine MKII\Engine MKII.iam" 
  7. Inventor will then go into not-responing-mode and if you examine you tempfolder you will find multiple copies of C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp\MaterialLibraries_PID_2bb0\InventorMaterialLibrary(???).adsklib 
  8. Go to your  C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2013\Design Data\Materials-folder
  9. Rename  \InventorMaterialLibrary.adsklib and you will find that the program directly returns from non-responsive-mode and displays the Derived Assembly dialog.

This has now been verified on different machines with differenct OS and with SP0/SP1/SP1.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report