Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 - Drawing View Is Missing But Preview Shows It

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
mrm01
1331 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2013 - Drawing View Is Missing But Preview Shows It

I have a drawing that I created (.dwg) in Inventor 2013 that, when opened, is completely blank.  However, when in the File>Open dialog box, I can click on the name of the drawing and the preview shows the complete drawing with all views fully dimensioned.  I closed Inventor, laucned AutoCAD and tried opening the same file and it was still blank (no views).  I then closed that file and open the old version of the file from the, "OldVersions" folder with Autocad and all the views and dimensions were there.

So I launced Inventor again and reopened the offending print and noticed that the model is not shown in the drawing's model tree.  I'm 100% positive that I did not delete this model/view from the drawing before saving the file.  Thankfully, this is a small drawing and it will only take me a few mintues to recreate it but is anyone else seeing this in their drawings?

I'm using Inventor 2013, SP1.1

Windows 7 64 Bit

Dell M6600

Nvidia Quadro 5010M

Thanks,

Mike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
JDMather
in reply to: mrm01

@mrm01 wrote:

However, when in the File>Open dialog box, I can click on the name of the drawing and the preview shows the complete drawing

The preview thumbnail is not indicative of the geometry still existing in the file.  This is simply a bitmap that Inventor (or any CAD program) captures at some time during an earlier save of the file.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
mrm01

Agreed.

But, doesn't that prove that the CAD drawing once contained the view?  My question is, what happened to it?  The 3D model is still in the same folder as the 2D drawing but the view is gone. 

Message 4 of 5
JDMather

@mrm01 wrote:

My question is, what happened to it? 

No idea.  Attach the files here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
SBix26

In any computer system, the occasional "stuff" happens.  It sounds as if the file was corrupted on the last save (network hiccup, perhaps?).  Using the OldVersions file is the quickest way to retrieve your work.

As JD pointed out, the thumbnail image is generated by Inventor according to the settings in your file (iProperties > Save tab).  The fact that the thumbnail shows an image of the drawing with views makes it even more likely to have been a save operation that failed somehow.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report