Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 Crashes When Clicking Draw Operation in Sketch Mode

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
SteveKS
2484 Views, 17 Replies

Inventor 2013 Crashes When Clicking Draw Operation in Sketch Mode

I opened Inventor 2013 this morning to find this issue. Everything starts fine, I am able to open/create a part file and enter sketch mode, but as soon as I click a draw operation (spline, line, rectangle, etc.) it freezes on me. I have been using 2013 for a couple months now without issue, and cannot associate this with a change of anything on my computer.

I have tried:

1) Restarting computer

2) Reducing graphics display quality to Rough

3) Checking "Software Graphics"

4) Calibrate my 3D connexion mouse

5) The diagnostic check for graphics card (approved)

Computer Specs:

Intel Core i5

8.0 GB RAM

64-bit

NVidia GForce 315

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
SBix26
in reply to: SteveKS

What about creating a line in a new sketch in an already existing file?  How about an existing sketch in an existing file?

Message 3 of 18
SteveKS
in reply to: SBix26

@sbixler

The same issue happens in both of these scenarios.

Message 4 of 18
SBix26

That would seem to rule out anything associated with specific part files.  Do other accounts on this machine have the same problem (create a new one if necessary)?

Message 5 of 18
SteveKS

I created a new user account and it did not have the same issue, and I was able to sketch. 

Message 6 of 18
SBix26

That's good news-- avoids an uninstall/reinstall.  But there's apparently something corrupt in your user profile.  One pretty easy thing to check, if you're comfortable editing the registry (usual warnings and disclaimers), is to delete the Inventor 2013 section and let Inventor re-create it.  You might want to export your settings first.  Just delete the following section: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion17.0.  Next time you start Inventor, that will be re-created.

If that doesn't do it, then you will need to delete everything Inventor-related under your user profile, then launch Inventor again.  You will lose customizations, but you should be back in operation again.

Message 7 of 18
SteveKS

Deleting the RegistryVersion17.0 folder seems to have done the trick. Many thanks!

Message 8 of 18
Iapetos

I was having the same problem so I deleted the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion17.0. That solved the issue but also caused a new problem. Now when I restart Inventor it does not remember my custom settings. Any ideas?

Im using Inventor 2013 SP1.1

Thanks,

Shawn

Message 9 of 18
SBix26
in reply to: Iapetos

That registry key is exactly where (some of) your custom settings are stored.  Once you get them back to the way you like them in Application Options, export them to a safe place so you can get them back easily.

Or do you mean that even after changing App Opts Inventor does not retain them?  If that's the case, then either Inventor isn't exiting properly (that's when those are stored, I believe), or you don't have permission to write to that area of the registry.

Message 10 of 18
Iapetos

The second is correct. Once I close Inventor it forgets all my application options that I've chosen. I have them saved to a config file so I can easily restore them but it's still a headache. I'll check and see if it isn't writing to the registry.

Another thing I've noticed is that all of the color schemes are missing. I can only select from the drop down box to choose wether I want solid color, gradient or background image. How do I get those back? Is there a way to make custom ones?

Message 11 of 18
SBix26

Sounds as if the whole user section of the registry (the one you deleted) didn't get re-created properly.  Try deleting that registry key again, and while you're at it, check the permissions on the whole Autodesk key.

Message 12 of 18
Iapetos

Nevermind, I figured it out. Inventor created a Reg folder named RegistryVersion0.0. Deleting that and restarting Inventor a few times solved it. I got my color options back also.

P.s. Didn't see your post until i posted this response. Thanks for your help!

Message 13 of 18
sm180

Please help, not sure where or how to find:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion17.0

Thanks in advance

Message 14 of 18
SBix26
in reply to: sm180

I don't have time to give you a tutorial on the Windows registry (if I even knew enough to do so!), so you may want to do some research yourself.  Suffice to say that every aspect of operating your computer and all its installed applications is directed by the registry.  Editing it manually is sometimes useful, but one wrong move can hose an application, or the entire computer.  The registry editor is "regedit.exe" (clever name, huh?).

The registry is a hierarchical structure, sort of like folders and files on your hard drive.  Just be careful not to change anything that you're not sure of.  But you can delete the key noted above (Version 17.0) and Inventor will re-create it the next time you run it.

Message 15 of 18
sm180

Thank you, I managed to delete it no problem. First time coming across regedit.exe but it was user-friendly enough to work without any research and it has fixed the crashing problem so I'm very grateful!

Message 16 of 18
jkhoylman

How do you get to the registry?

Message 17 of 18
SBix26
in reply to: jkhoylman

Read my previous post above...

Sam B
Inventor 2012 Certified Professional

Please click "Accept as Solution" if this response answers your question.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor Professional 2013 SP1.1 Update 1
Windows XP Pro 32-bit, SP3
HP EliteBook 8730w; 4 GB RAM; Core™ 2 Duo T9400 2.53 GHz; Quadro FX2700M
SpaceExplorer/SpaceNavigator NB, driver 3.7.18
still waiting for a foreshortened radius dimensioning tool in Drawing Manager

Message 18 of 18
inked8

This solution worked 100% I had exactely the same issue, so glad I dont have to do a re-install

🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report