Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 3D Sweep & Mirror problem

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
synapse709
1804 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor 2013 3D Sweep & Mirror problem

Hey guys,

I am having trouble creating a 3d sweep and then mirroring it twice over 2 separate planes.

The sweep is not as perfect as I would like, and after mirror the geometry is connected. I then have to delete the faces + heal the geometry and it leaves me with these strange knife like ends that I cannot delete, boolean, or extrude+cut.

I have only been using Inventor for the past 2 weeks, and have checked every tutorial out there for a solution. If anyone knows the proper way to create the geometry in the attached images, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: synapse709

@synapse709 wrote:

If anyone knows the proper way to create the geometry in the attached images, I would greatly appreciate it.

Attach your ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
synapse709
in reply to: JDMather

Thanks for the reply. The .ipt file is attached 

I tried to delete faces again after a second sweep, but it is now not even giving me as desired a result as the first time.

I think I am going about the sweep, or the whole construction of this model wrong. If you could teach me the correct

method that would be greatly helpful!

Message 4 of 11
JDMather

Even though I'm not sure what your design intent it, I am quite certain we can work towards a far easier solution.

Can you post a screen shot or url of something already in existance that is similar to your goal?

Have you seen this tutorial (actually it is older and there is easier technique now)?

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%207.pdf

this is a general solution type problem that might be adaptable to your specific design.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
synapse709

I have attached another sketch of what I am trying to achieve. I am not sure of any similar shape, and don't know what I would search for to find it either...

I am checking out the tutorial now, but I don't see how he created a curved sketch plane (if that is what that is), and if it is a surface, I haven't utilized that part of Inventor yet. Can someone recreate what I have sketched and show me the best way to develop this geometry? I need it to have flat bases where the screw holes meet flushly with the wood shell.

Cheers in advance of your help,

Tim

Message 6 of 11
synapse709

ahh... I see now that the tutorial is extruding a curve.

Perhaps I can do that twice to get the geometry I want. Let me try that and get back to you.

TT

Message 7 of 11
synapse709

Well, no dice with that method. Perhaps it is above me, but I am sure there is a better way to get the geometry I am after. You mentioned there was another "easier" method available now. Can you elaborate on that?

Thanks,

TT

Message 8 of 11
synapse709

Well, I was able to mirror as "new solid" and through trial and error seem to have made what I was after.

The hardest part was getting the thickness of the extrusion correct (lofting ending up being the best method over sweeping). 

Thanks for the help!

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

@synapse709 wrote:

.... seem to have made what I was after.

Post the file if you want to see an easier technique.

The file you posted earlier looks nothing like the sketch you provided.

If you still interested I can work up a solution, but I don't want to spend the time if you are no longer working on the problem.

EESignature

Message 10 of 11
synapse709

Thanks for the help. I have already moved on to a different design as the concept I was working on ultimately didn't look as good as I had expect on the final product.

Cheers!

A great community here that I will use often!

Message 11 of 11
JDMather

I think you should take a look at this file anyhow. (wasn't at all sure of your sizes, but that can be adjusted)

And I got the twist backwards from your hand sketch, but that can be easily fixed.

Twisted Grabber.png

Twist.PNG

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report