Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 crash with only one part

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
EdGlowacki
1163 Views, 10 Replies

Inventor 2012 crash with only one part

I just installed IV 2012 yesterday and get a crash each time I apply a fillet to the outer edge of the attached item. I had no such issues creating this thing in 2011.

I have read of 2012 crashing when loading models with many parts. I am having a recurring crash with just one part. Is the problem with how the part is created?

Help please.

My hardware profile is:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz 2.67 GHz
8 GB Ram
Windows Vista 64 bit home premium
Nvidia Quadro FX 4500

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blair
in reply to: EdGlowacki

No problems with either end edge or the intersection

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 3 of 11
Dennis_Jeffrey

No problems here either. What size fillet did you use? I tried .35, .5, .75 without issue.

4-9-2011-NG000015.png

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 4 of 11
EdGlowacki

I applied a 0.125" fillet to the outer edge. The lock-up occurs when I use my mouse wheel to zoom in.

Perhaps my old Logitech MouseMan+ is not talking to Inventor 2012 like it should.

Actually, I have done successful manipulating of other models without issue. It's only on this one that is consistently locking up.

Message 5 of 11
Dennis_Jeffrey

Mouse drivers have been known to crash software.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 6 of 11
dan_inv09

We just upgraded to 2012. When I am filleting with the preview on, any selection or edit to a radius causes a pause of a second or two then everything goes black except for the fillet dialog for several seconds. This could be very annoying if you want to do several fillets.

I'm editing a part in an assembly. I don't know if it does this for a part on it's own - or if it's specific to this part. It stopped doing it when I disabled the preview.

I don't know if this is a similar issue.

Has anyone else experienced this black screen?

Since I switched to Windows 7 I've gotten used to Inventor flashing once in a while but it never seemed to affect both my screens.

Message 7 of 11
blair
in reply to: dan_inv09

System specs would help, all we know in you are on IV2012 and you switched to Win7.

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 8 of 11
dan_inv09
in reply to: blair

System  
 ManufacturerHewlett-Packard
 ModelHP Z400 Workstation
 Total amount of system memory8.00 GB RAM
 System type64-bit operating system
 Number of processor cores4
Storage  
 Total size of hard disk(s)1162 GB
 Disk partition (C:)119 GB Free (231 GB Total)
 Media drive (D:)CD/DVD
 Disk partition (E:)877 GB Free (932 GB Total)
Graphics  
 Display adapter typeNVIDIA Quadro 4000
 Total available graphics memory5631 MB
       Dedicated graphics memory2048 MB
       Dedicated system memory0 MB
       Shared system memory3583 MB
 Display adapter driver version8.17.11.9801
 Primary monitor resolution1920x1080
 Secondary monitor resolution1920x1080
 DirectX versionDirectX 10
Network  
 Network AdapterBroadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Driver Date: 5/29/2010

Driver Version: 8.17.11.9801

Autodesk Product Design Suite Premium 2012

64-Bit Edition

Build:160, Release: 2012 RTM - Date: Tue 03/01/2011

You need all this to help you remember if you've had it happen?

The preview always seemed to slow things down anyway. I've had it off several versions (probably 6 or 7), but I was wondering if others are seeing something similar.

Message 9 of 11
blair

First thing, is to update your graphics card. You should be up around release 275.33

Looks like you have the version that was shipped with the box. This is most likely the cause of your graphics problem.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 10 of 11
dan_inv09
in reply to: blair

Good idea, but didn't help.

Well, I thought it was any fillet before but now it seems to be just the one that causes it.

When that one edge is selected or that fillet's there and you're doing anything in the same feature (putting another somewhere else, etc.) it all goes black. (Now, I thought I was getting the windows 7 "wait" swirly thingy immediately before, now the pointer doesn't change until the screen goes black, so that could be something that the graphics driver update might have changed - I wouldn't necessarily call that an improvement.)

fillet.jpg

There are a couple of things I can do to avoid this, turn off the preview (which I plan to do anyway (but for some reason it doesn't seem to be sticking)), or do the fillets before the teeth (which I would normally do but I just wanted to see how this would look - a quick little experiment before I proceeded with a different design).

Message 11 of 11
blair

Try using a Revolve>Cut for that. The fillet should work for that, (but hey, who knows about the programers at Autodesk).

You could post the part and see if it's just your system of a program bug.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report