Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Pro crashing when importing Mechanical Desktop 2009 files

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1319 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor 2012 Pro crashing when importing Mechanical Desktop 2009 files

Hi

I've been trying to import some legacy MDT2009 files through Inventor 2012 and I keep getting a Runtime Error. See attachment. I've tried this on a colleague's machine that's running Windows 7 64-bit and it does the same on that too.

Is there any remedy/hotfix for this? Desperately need these files converted and I'm running out of ideas 😞

Workstation & Inventor spec is as below:

Xeon CPU @ 2.33GHz

8GB RAM

Windows XP 64-bit, SP2

Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI, driver version: 191.00

Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012

Autodesk Mechanical Desktop 2009 x64 SP3

3D Connexion SpaceNavigor.

Thanks

Deepak Ramadasan

DRS UK

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
KevinLi-Autodesk
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Deepak,

I try to open MDT2009 file in my Inventor 2012 Pro on Win 7 64 OS, unfortunately i don't see your runtime error. Can you explain more about your "import" operation ? just open MDT2009 file or something else ? Can you try to reboot PC and Inventor to import it again ? If still reproduce, do you mind to attach an exmaple MDT2009 file that you can reproduce this error or send it to Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com  ? We will investigate it for you.

Regards,

Kevin Li

SQA Engineer

Autodesk, Inc.

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi Kevin

The problem is not with opening the MDT file; they open fine.

The problem is with importing them.

Here's how i have gone about this:

Start IV2012.

Click Open, go to the folder that contains the MDT file, click on Options, click the Import radio button.

After checking the import settings and making sure the import location is correct, i click Finish.

MDT2009 starts in the background and then i get the Runtime Error for IV2012.

Please find attached sample MDT 2009 file.

The original file is a big assembly file with subassemblies, piece parts and COTS items.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Deepak

Message 4 of 15
t_stramr

Hi Deepak,

I just tried to import your dataset on my machine using Inventor Professional 2012.

See attached picture for imported assembly containing a single part. It works fine for me.

I imported only model without drawing documents.

Did you change any default settings in MDT import wizard?

Could you describe step by step your import process?

Thank you,

Robert

Message 5 of 15
rdyson

Worked for me as well. Try opening MDT (6 or newer) first, no files just leave it open. Then try the import.

PDSU 2016
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: t_stramr

Gents

Thanks for your replies, though I'm quite disheartened to see it working as it should on your machine, i dont understand what I'm doing wrong, if at all I'm doing anything wrong 😞

This is what I'm doing:

1. Start IV2012

2. Click Open

3. From the dialog box, i choose my MDT 2009 file.

4. Click Options

5. Click Import on the File Open Options window

6. Click Open.

7. Click YES on a window that then pops up which says "The location of the selected file is not in the active project. To ensure that the file can be found when you open files that reference it, add the location to the project or move the file to a location specified in the project"

8. In the DWG/DXF File Wizard, the Mechanical Desktop File radio button is selected, configuration is Configuration Not Saved, then click Next.

9. In the Mechanical Desktop Model/Layout Import Options, only Parts and Assemblies is ticked, then click Next.

10. Click Finish. I make sure that my destination folder is in the current Inventor project file.

I see at the bottom that Inventor is initialising, MDT2009 opens and then IV2012 crashes with the Runtime Error.

Please see attached screengrabs.

I'll try this again with keeping MDT 2009 open first.

Regards

Deepak

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I tired the import again, this time with MDT open, no files open - and IV2012 crashed again, same Runtime Error message.

Can you tell me what OS you guys are running?

In my previous attempts, I have got up to 2% (on the Windows 7 64-bitmachine) and 48% on my machine (Windows Xp 64-bit) and then the import would stop, MDT would crash saying that the file was not stable. Error reporting to Autodesk said that i had to install the latest service pack for MDT2009, which is SP3. Ever since i've done that, all i get is this Runtime Error.

Apologies for not mentioning this in the first instance.

Regards

Deepak

Message 8 of 15
rdyson

That was on XP-64

PDSU 2016
Message 9 of 15
t_stramr

Deepak,

I just cheked your pictures that you assigned to your reply and _sg3.bmp seems suspicious to me.

You don't see the preview of your MDT document, what states that DWG viewer can't initialize properly.

That could by the source of your crash. It is hard to say what is wrong with your installation. Many times it is registry corruption that block COM objects to initialize properly. I'm afraid that only Inventor reinstall could such kind of problems.

Robert

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Robert

Yes, i see what you mean with the sg3.bmp.

Before, SP3 for MDT 2009 was applied, the preview worked just fine.

I'm thinking if i should try installing IV2009 on a laptop and try importing the MDT2009 files through that, fingers crossed.

Regards

Deepak

Message 11 of 15
t_stramr

Deepak,

Before you start to think about full reinstall(drastic solution), try run inventor with parameter /INSTALL. This have to refresh your registry records for your Inventor installation. Here is full command that you have to call from Command Prompt window.

"C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2012\Bin\Inventor.exe /INSTALL"

Robert

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Robert

what exactly does that do? I'm not too au fait with these parameters.

I'll have our IT dept take a look at it.

Thanks

Deepak

Message 13 of 15
t_stramr

Deepak,

Parameter /INSTALL re-registeres all Inventor components in your operation system. It has nothing to do with product registration. Component registration ensures that your operation system have correct records in system registry for all Inventor DLLs and COM objects. Inventor needs to register all its components to be able correctly run/call them. This process is done automatically as the last step during Inventor installation, but sometimes system registry could be damaged(e.g. unexpected system crash or virus) and this registration must be refreshed to fix them again.

Robert

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Robert

I think you might be onto a winner!!!

I got our IT department to do as you requested...and now there's NO Runtime Error; IV2012 is importing the MDT2009 files and I'm at 40%...fingers crossed!

Thank you all for your support - very much appreciated!!!

Regards

Deepak

Message 15 of 15
t_stramr

Hi Deepak,

I'm glad to hear that. I hope your troubles with MDT import are finally solved.

Have a nice day,

Robert

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report