Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

105 REPLIES 105
SOLVED
Message 1 of 106
HenkdeSwardt6236
3140 Views, 105 Replies

Inventor 2012 Poor Attempt at New Version

Inventor 2012 is a poor attempt from Autodesk on an update.

Yes, the update features are "nice", but the amount of crashes and freezes per day (>20) makes in not worth using AT ALL!!!!

Sending reports to Autodesk get the standard automated responises - also not worth filling in.

IF ONLY Autodesk had the feature to DOWNGRADE files to 2011 then at least we would be able to work.

Autodesk, please do not use the WORLD as your BETA TESTERS.

From a VERY DISSAPOINTED (ex?)customer. 

Tags (2)
105 REPLIES 105
Message 81 of 106
2grumpy
in reply to: ampster401

not exactly right. i have installed new software on PC running old 2011 version and still having a lot of problems while old version is running without any issues.

Message 82 of 106

PC configuraton:

Iten Core 2 Quad Q9300, 2.5GHz

6 Gig Ram

Windows 7 64 bit

NVidia 8800GT 512 Meg screen cards X 2 in SLI

Is it just me or does this seem greatly under-powered?

I know the issue has bee resolved to a point but I didn't see anyone address this issue.

I guess it comes down to what your models and assemblies are as far as RAM and graphics memory you use.

But I haven't used a 512 graphics card in years.

Our common setup here is a 24g RAM and duel 2g nVidia cards (duel monitors) and I honestly can not recall seeing a crash in the last year that wasn't caused by the user.

I'm just saying...

Honestly though, I've seen Inventor crash very few times over the last few releases and when it did crash, it was due to the user changing a setting somewhere.

Message 83 of 106

We recently upgraded from 2010 Autodesk software to 2012 and have noticed that every person in our compnay using 2012 software crashes at least twice a day.  Not blaming just the software but i don't think its our fault since a person from our reseller came in and installed everything for us.  Can't wait until  the first service pack.

Message 84 of 106
prabakarm
in reply to: 2grumpy

Can you help us better understand the problems you are having with Inventor 2012?

Prabakar.

Sr. Product Line Manager, Inventor Products

Message 85 of 106
2grumpy
in reply to: prabakarm

Actually i am already cooperating with one of your support team members.

Message 86 of 106

512 MB on the Graphics is horribly underpowered for IV2012 graphics. I recommend 2GB or more  with 1.0 GB as a minimum. 

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 87 of 106
stevenreed5802
in reply to: prabakarm

I am running a 1 gb video card with 8 gb of ram and inventor continues to crash when I am working on a big file, I have sent in many reports and was asked to give more detail about my problem, I ask for an ftp site so I can send the files I am working on then I get no response.

Message 88 of 106

Questions:

1. Have you updated your graphics card driver since IV2011? Helps to provide all of your system specs, not just general ones:

http://teknigroup.com/support/Inventor/Howto.html      

2. Did you or your reseller install according to these recommendations?

http://teknigroup.com/support/InstallAdsksoftware.html

3. Have you contacted your reseller about this issue?  What was the response?

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 89 of 106

1. I am running a dell t3500 with: (2) intel xeon cpu w3505 @ 2.53 ghz Processors

Nvidia Quadro 2000 Video Card

Windows 7 64 bit

we upgraded from 2010 not 2011 and the drivers are up to date.  We had no problems in 2010 but once we went to 2012 we started having problems.

2. I have no idea if the seller installed to your specs, they are the ones installing it and they should know what they are doing when they are installing it that is what we pay them for.

3. I have a conference call today with our seller to try and figure this out.

Message 90 of 106

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with Inventor 2012.

I'd like to have my team investigate your crashes.

Are you submitting CER reports?  If so, can you provide me the email address you are providing when submitting these crashes?

You can contact me directly via email at Chuck.Savatsky@Autodesk.com.

Regards,

Regards,

Chuck Savatsky
Director Software Development Inventor
Autodesk
Message 91 of 106
Orest_iy
in reply to: chucksavatsky

Chuck

I would like to share my problem with 2012 too. I would appreciate you can advise something.

So far the Service request is stuck and still unresolved.

Inventor 2012 does not work at all with my main assembly files.

I did two clean uninstallation of both Inventor 2011 and 2012 but it does not help.

I have clean remain folders and registry as advised in Autodesk tutorial.

After the installation of 2011 everything is working properly.

Then I install the Inventor 2012 but it CANNOT OPEN main assembly file

http://screencast.com/t/3JAwIpXR

At this video I used to press pause, the opening actually takes quite a while

while the Inventor 2011 DO OPEN the SAME file

http://screencast.com/t/arVfvQkL

Here is another example the 2012 fail to open the another assembly file

http://screencast.com/t/P26yI6wg

I cannot sent those main assembly files. Those are tooo big.

When I make them smaller by deleting some parts they are opened well by 2012.

I have HP Mobile Workstation EliteBook 8740w Intel i7 CPU Q740 1.73Gz, 8G RAM,

NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M 1G, Windows 7 64x.

I did not test the 2012 on the office machine (it is more powerful) due to those not comforting results...

Inventor 2011 works well on both machines.

Regards

Orest Yavtushenko

Chief Designer

HOLOGRAPHY Ltd

Message 92 of 106
bobvdd
in reply to: Orest_iy

Hi Orest,

We are trying to understand where and why your product support request got stuck.

Can you give us the support request number?

Thanks.

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 93 of 106
Orest_iy
in reply to: bobvdd

Bob

The SR# 06525966 Inventor 2012 does not open IAM file

There was some activity at the begining but than it gone.

So far I am on 2011 and really in doubt to prolong the Subscribtion since the are no

just problems, I cannot use the 2012 at all.

While attempts to open assembly files Inventor 2012 use to quit a lot and I sent reports to Autodesk.

Regards,

Orest

Message 94 of 106

Since version 2009 I've been through the crashing thing and have tried approx. 15+ things to fix it (uninstall, reinstall, rebuild the whole hard drive, different video cards, different drivers, etc, etc, etc). The only thing that has worked was running the hardware tab in 'compatibility mode'. I have had several different desktop, laptop, all-in-one systems and that has consistently fixed each one. I have never been able to run in ‘performance’ mode.

My Nvidia card blew up and purchased an ATI Firepro card due to the boiler plate reply from Autodesk about my card not being ‘approved’. Still crashes in ‘performance’ mode in the hardware settings. I know that everyone says get a good gamer card but I did it just because (go ahead, flame away). I won’t buy a ‘CAD’ card again.

IV 2012

Windows 7, 64

8 gb ram

ATI Firepro V4800, 1gb

AMD Phenom II X4 840

MSI 785GT board

Message 95 of 106
2grumpy

Hi Bob,

after you finish checking that issue could you please check why my support request 'got stuck' - no urgency, I am waiting since 2.06.2006 so can wait another couple of years.(req # 06480873)

Best Regards

Message 96 of 106
bobvdd
in reply to: 2grumpy

I prefer you start a new thread rather than tagging on to this one ( I know it has a tempting title).

There is a defect 796789 associated with your 1996 request. The defect has the title "Text in titles blocks doesn't fit-in properly" and it has been fixed in R2008.

So you still have a problem with texts in title blocks?

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group
Message 97 of 106
2grumpy

Hi Bob,

yes.. it is fix for that problem in 2008 - allegedly. to my experience it never worked and issue never been really fixed. i did many time been raising that issue with support people, but since you can have 'work around' it was not priority and i get tied of it. in INV 2012 that issue took really bad turn and i have ask for fix - case # 06579309. 

Hoping for best.

Regards

Valdemar

Message 98 of 106

In an effort to not sound like Mr. Negative there are some things in 2012 that I like.

The RMB options are getting more usefull as I get accustomed to them.

I have been opening other cad format files and they are coming in good (still slows my machine down). All we need now is Unigraphics files (wishlist).

Tried 'performance' setting in hardware and had a couple of crashes while editing a part in an assembly. Went to 'compatibilty' mode and has been fine since (fingers crossed).

I need to look into 'what's new' and see what else would be usefull.

Win 7, 64 bit

IV 2012 Pro

8 gb ram

Firepro V4800, 1 gb

Message 99 of 106

Very long list of crash and still in progress of crashing....

About 23 years ago, I was an AutoCAD user, actually more than power users.  I was waiting for a 3D solid modeler that appears in AutoCAD 11 and 12, if I'm correct.  I was happy... until Designer in 1995... an attemps of Parametric Modeler inside AutoCAD... pretty weird experience... then in 2003.. I have swith to Solidworks 2003.... Wow... What I was expecting for so many years until 2010... then I switch job and .... going to Inventor..... The horror.... no reliable 3d Sketches... No possibility to extract a Block on Disk lilke AutoCAD... Always have to do a projection to use a line even in the IDW module... IPN is horrible... try select something that has many component to explode it.... No coplanar Line... No circularity... 3d Sketch does not exist inside an Assembly.... creating a point between an work axis and a work plane is very hard, if you do not know the way to do it... The list is mor than huge... and what about the new crashing interface option that your are not able to disable.... see below

After so many years... I have thought that Autodesk have done something good not only.... something working so so....

Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (52837928) - Microsoft Tue, 7/5/11
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (52792280) - Core-Framework Mon, 7/4/11 7KB
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (52383724) - Compatibility Wed, 6/22/11 7KB
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (52375523) - Compatibility Wed, 6/22/11 7KB
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (52331033) - Compatibility Tue, 6/21/11 7KB
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (52187142) - API Sun, 6/19/11 7KB
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (52193680) - PM Sun, 6/19/11 7KB
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (52044266) - Microsoft Tue, 6/14/11 8KB
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (51916090) - Compatibility Fri, 6/10/11 8KB
Autodesk Inventor 2012 crash report (51869585) - Compatibility Thu, 6/9/11 11KB

Message 100 of 106
2grumpy
in reply to: Orest_iy

I did have similar problem and have done sort of 'work around - first i have opened same bigger parts and subassembly and save it to inv 2012.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report