Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 PC spec?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
983 Views, 3 Replies

Inventor 2012 PC spec?

We are trying to spec some machines for use with Inventor 2012.
They will be Dell Precision desktops.
So far we have go to this spec:

Xeon E5-1620
8Gb DDR3 Non-ECC
1Gb ATi Firepro V4900

We have also looked at the options of 16Gb DDR3 ECC or a 2Gb ATi Firepro V5900.

Which would we gain more from? The extra memory or the more powerful graphics card?
I am not really a CAD person so only have limited knowledge of the packages.  

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
ComputerGuru666
in reply to: Anonymous

I would say build your own but if thats not an option I WOULD NOT go with a dell precision If you are only using Inventor and not solidworks or catia on this machine I'd go with an

Alienware Aurora R4 with these upgrades

256gig Solid State Drive (SSD) 

No less then 16 gig of RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX 560Ti (I would never buy an ATI card) and for inventor quadro/firepro workstation based card are not needed and cost alot more then there gaming card counter parts 

Intel i7-3820 (Quad Core that Alienware overclocks to 4.1Ghz) 

Computer Specs:
Windows 7 (64 Bit) Pro. SP1, Inventor 2014 Pro, 3D Connexion SpaceNavigator (Driver 3.15.2)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme x79 Socket 2011
Processor: Intel Core i7 Six Core Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz OCed to 4.7GHz (Under Water)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw Z-Series 32 gig quad channel of RAM 1800MHz OCed to 2133MHz
Video Card: 2x Nvidia Geforce GTX 770 (Running Six (6) Monitors)
Monitors: [Primary = 2x 24in HD WS][Secondary = 2x 22in HD WS][Tertiary = 2x 19in FS]
Primary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex IV 256 GB Solid State Drive
Secondary Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex III 120 GB Solid State Drive
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Thank you, there are some interesting comments there.

I am surprised at the recommendation of a 'gaming' card. I had used the hardware identifier here:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?id=18844534&siteID=123112

Which returned all Firepro and Quadro cards for Inventor 2012.

Ignoring price, how does the performance vary?

Even if we went with 16Gb and a 1Gb Firepro/Quadro the machines would cost less than the Alienware so if there isn't a performance hit the Firepro or equivelant Quadro potentially makes sense for us.

Need 10 machines so own build are not really practical from a build and support perspective.

Message 4 of 4
mcgyvr

You haven't mentioned anything about the size/complexity of your models nor if you do anything else on these machines.

A good gaming card is all that is needed now.. You used to need a Fire/Quadro when Inventor was OpenGL based but now with the move to direct X that requirement is gone. Autodesk just leaves that there because they work with the graphics card vendors and they want to "upsell" you on the expensive crap.

I too recommend an NVIDIA card.. They have been proven to perform better than ATI cards with Inventor.

In general a 3.0+ Ghz processor, 8 gig min of RAM and a 1G or more decent gaming card should suffice for most small to mid sized models (under 1000 parts/little complexity)

Xeon is really nice but a good i7 will do just as good.. Just go off the price..which ever is cheaper should be fine.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report