Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012: New context menu annoyance/bug

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
3549 Views, 11 Replies

Inventor 2012: New context menu annoyance/bug

Lately I've been getting really sick of this new UI mainly because of these kind of annoyances, see the attached image.

Normally i'd right click on a part in an assembly to get quick access to iProperties via the context menu but it's kinda hard when the context menu now goes off the screen!!!

Also the new select other menu that supposedly is quicker is quite frankly, not. Usually it was a hover, scroll and a click, now it is hover, scroll, find the check button and then click, it's the fact that attention is diverted away from the work and onto what the interface is trying to do that is causing more grief then anything.

It would be very wecome if there was more control over the UI with options to choose what style of context menus and select other behaivour a user would like. This version of Inventor truely does seem like a beta test.

Version: Autodesk Inventor 2012 64-Bit Edition Build 160 (Product Design Suite Premium)

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Dennis_Jeffrey
in reply to: Anonymous

I agree that these need to be optional features thant can be switched on/off. While I like them personally, there are many times I want them disabled.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Subscribe to the free digital "The Creative Inventor Magazine" now available at: http://teknigroup....

XP64 SP2, GeForce 9800GT-1GB, Driver: 6.14.12.7061, 8GB Ram, AMD Athlon II 3.2 Ghz
Laptop: Win7-64 Pro, 4GB, ATI Graphics on board, 2012 Ultimate, IV2011 or 2010 Pro, all SP's
Message 3 of 12
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi Jagerwin,

You can disable the right-click marking menu and just use the classic old style right-click menu:

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/04/bring-back-classic-right-click-menu-in.html

You can also customize the marking menu if that helps:

http://inventortopix.blogspot.com/2011/04/tip-5-autodesk-inventor-2012-customize.html

I hope this helps.

Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,

Curtis

http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thankyou Curtis!

The classic menu is much better and less distracting, and your blog post pretty much captures my exact gripes with the current version of inventor. It's a shame there isnt a way to fix the rest of the clutter that you have explained on your blog post.

Message 5 of 12
michael.huang

The Marking Menu off screen issue has been documented by DID 1390625 in our bug system. Pleaset let me link your post with the defect. 

Thanks for your reporting.

-Michael

Message 6 of 12
iamerm
in reply to: michael.huang

@michael.huang wrote:

The Marking Menu off screen issue has been documented by DID 1390625 in our bug system. Pleaset let me link your post with the defect. 

Thanks for your reporting.

-Michael

For what it's worth, I (along with my co-workers) are also very frustrated by the off-screen iProperties issue.

Message 7 of 12
miechh

The problem I have is as follows. We installed Inventor 2012 recently. By default, the new marking/context menu has been set to show. Unfortunately this is giving problems with my graphics card (see type below). The nice thing about Inventor is that we can switch back to the classic menu by engaging the "Classic Context Menu". See attached picture. If I restart Inventor then the classic context menu is back. But... it stops working after a while. At that point there's NO context menu, not even the new type context menu. Sometimes the new context/marking menu shows up, even when I've switched on the classic one! It manifests when I create a sketch which has to be extruded for example. Can't select the profile, can't select the termination plane or whatever. When this happens, I know enough and have to restart Inventor. Last week Inventor crashed for some reason and I had to reinstall the entire program. Done this by following the steps Autodesk recommends for a clean install. But the problem persists...

Product Design Suite 2024
Inventor 2024 (v 28.20.27200.0000), Vault Basic 2024
Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

The problems you have with the new Heads up display isn't a problem caused by your graphics card. The problem is with the 3GB switch you use (read it in another post). I had the same problems, turned the switch off, but that caused even more problems with memory shortage. Now i'm working with 3GB switch on and classic interface, this solved my problems.

Gr. Nick

Message 9 of 12
miechh

But that's the problem---> The new context menu doesn't work on my system, so I enabled the classic one for that reason. Even then my classic context menu doesn't work properly!

Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Message 10 of 12
benemt

Still no fix for it going off screen for Inventor 2012.  Our company just upgraded from 2010 to 2012 and won't be switching again for some time and I would like to try to keep using the new menu.

Message 11 of 12
miechh

Somehow my problem appears to be solved after applying Service Pack 2 for Inventor 2012. The new context menu layout seems to be working now. Previousy the new context menu freezed my whole design screen and I wasn't able to fill in fields of the active commands. Had to press escape to close the command, then I was able to view the model again. Had to close Inventor and restart it again, when that didn't help, I had to reboot the system.

Fusion 360
HP Workstation Z4
Intel Xeon 3.4GHz
32GB RAM
Message 12 of 12
dwing

Hi all,

I noticed the same issue, and I think I have a 'solution'.  The context (Marking) menu seems to only go off the screen if you right-click near the middle (vertically) of the screen.  There seems to be a band about an inch and a half wide (on my monitor) where this happens.  If you click in the upper or lower half of the screen, the context menu opens fine.

I just have to get in the habit of moving my cursor before clicking . . .    😉

Dan

www.yf.com

www.tactair.com

Tags (3)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report