Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2012 DWG's seen as "AutoCAD Drawing" by Windows XP X64

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
BLZirkle
488 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2012 DWG's seen as "AutoCAD Drawing" by Windows XP X64

I can't seem to find any record on the board of anyone else having this problem, maybe my search strings are too vague.  But anyway, here's my problem:

Inventor Professional 2012 SP2 on a 64 bit Windows XP machine, is showing Inventor DWG's in Windows Explorer and therefore every "Open" dialog, as type "AutoCAD Drawing".

I was tolerating this for a while as I can differentiate between my AutoCAD DWG's and Inventor DWG's by the directory locations.  Yesterday, I had a pretty complex Assembly I wanted to copy/change in Design Assistant.  I tried to start from the top level drawing by typing in the drawing location and got a message saying that the drawing type was in an unsupported format.

Anybody have any clue how to tell my registry the difference between an AutoCAD and Inventor DWG?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cwhetten
in reply to: BLZirkle

I'm not sure that windows can tell the difference.  I may be wrong, but I understand that windows simply looks at the file extension, and since they are the same for both Inventor and AutoCAD (.dwg), then windows sees them as the same.  There must be something else in the content of the files that Autodesk software uses to differentiate them.

Message 3 of 5
blair
in reply to: BLZirkle

Correct all Windows looks at is the file extension. You will need to change the "default program to use" in Windows and change this to Inventor.

RMB click on the file with the DWG file extension, then choose the "Open With" then select the "choose default program".

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 5
kstate92
in reply to: blair

Win 7 can give me tooltips like this for MDT files; I'll have to check with an Inventor dwg file.

pic.png

KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 5 of 5
bobvdd
in reply to: kstate92

You could run attached VB.NET program to detect which dwg were generated by Inventor and which are generated by AutoCAD /Fusion.  Point the program to any folder and it will scan through all the subfolders (with the exception of the Oldversion folders). The result is listed in a CSV file that you can open by clicking on the hyperlink at the bottom of the dialog. The tool will work only with a correctly registred version of Inventor 2013.

Here is a screenshot of the input dialog and the type of result you can expect:

detect source dwg.JPG

Cheers

Bob

Bob Van der Donck

Principal UX designer DMG group

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums