Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2011 Rendering

92 REPLIES 92
Message 1 of 93
LotzH
3456 Views, 92 Replies

Inventor 2011 Rendering

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I have Inventor 2011 Professional and when I take a simple block that I created as a part and the place it in a assembly - save the assembly and the go to Inventor Studio - I try to render an animation that I created or just a simple JPEG. My inventor closes down completely after just a few seconds of rendering.

The settings of my rendered animation is as follow
General
Width x Height = 800 x 600
Camera = Camera 1
Lightning style = Current Lightning
Scene Style = XY Ground Plane
Render Type = Shaded

Output
It saves it to my Current Project file
Time range = 0 - 30 s
Antialiasing = Low Antialiasing
Format = Video
Frame Rate = 10
Preview and Launch player is unticked

I've tried to use the lowest setting of everything but then the quality is very poor and unacceptable!

If I try it on the above settings "which is not that hi" it closes my Inventor a few seconds into the rendering.

After it is closed it is still running in my Task Manager under processes at 800,000k - 900,000k

Then I have to kill it there!!

Please help as I am stuck and need this to work.

My PC Spec is as follow

Windows XP SP3
Intel Core 2 Extreme
CPU Q6850 @ 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 3.00 GB of RAM

Graphics - NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700 512 MB Version 60.84.63.00.17
92 REPLIES 92
Message 81 of 93
bcoulter
in reply to: bobvdd

Bob,

I see some posts about people having this same rendering issue in Inventor 2010. I have a customer using 2010 experiencing this issue.  Rendering seems to go to a particular percentage and then Inventor simply closes with no error.  Droping the resolution, or dropping down to single cores allows the rendering to go through, but thats obviously less than ideal.  Can you tell me if Autodesk is planning on resolving this issue for 2010 or is ther no new support updates going to be made for that version?

My customer's specs are well above the minimum and we actually replaced his system thinking the system was part of the cause (it needed to be upgraded anyways) but they are very nervous about trying to upgrade to 2011 because of this issue being so common!

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!  Let me know if you need more specific info.

Thanks

Message 82 of 93
YS_WM
in reply to: bcoulter

One of those solutions helped me, I think in the end it was simplifying the assembly I was trying to render.

Possible workflow solutions:

1. Look into using Level of Detail (L.O.D.) and Substitution  to simplify to model geometry
    1. Use L.O.D. to suppress internal parts and assemblies not involved in the rendering or animation process.
    2. Use L.O.D. to suppress small components and Content Center data
  2. Make sure there are no reported errors with the geometry defining the models.
  3. Resolve any assembly constraint errors … particularly with any parts involved with an animation.
  4. Simplify complex models that are constructed of surfaces or the surfaces that are the result of imported files (STEP,IGES, etc …. )
  5. Reboot the workstation prior to processing an animation .. this will free up any resources that programs may have tied themselves to during the typical workday.
  6. Close all background programs
  7. If running your monitor in a high resolution mode, step it down to around 1024 X 768 (match your output resolution on the final pass) – this reduces the video demand that Inventor puts on the system.
  8. If running multiple monitors, de-activate the second monitor – this reduces the demand on the system and the video card freeing up resources for the rendering process
  9. Increase your Page file settings to be at least equal to the total RAM on your system + 300 mb (this is the Windows 7 default). Windows 7 will allow you to set the page file max size to be your current RAM X3 for a maximum of 16 TB (Tera Bytes). I would suggest for a process like this to set the Min and Max values to at least RAM x 2 and would strongly consider setting it to RAM X 3. (note you will need to reboot your system after making this change.)
  10. Clean out temp directories
  11. Defrag the hard drive, particularly after software crashes
  12. Consider the information required of the animation. Camera flybys with zooms, twists and turns look good during playback, but are they necessary? Consider only showing the camera in a position that shows the start of the model animations and only transitions to different viewing points of different model movements. This can help reduce the overall number of frames required.
  13. Consider breaking the animation into sections and recordings. For example 1 completed recording may be the initial camera’s transition from its start position to the point where models begin to move. The 2nd recording would be of the first set of models in motion, the 3rd would be the camera’s transition to the next view point and so on.

Message 83 of 93
jabman81
in reply to: LotzH

Hi,

I have just came across this thread after looking for a hot fix for this rendering problem. I was trying to decide if I need to download the hot fix, and have decided to use the work around instead. I never use the rendering tools in Inventor because I use 3Ds Max for all my still and animated renderings, I think It gives a more realistic image then Inventor. I have some down time and decided to try the Inventor rendering tools, it is good to know there is a hot fix and work around though.

Message 84 of 93
dauer

I am having a crash issue when trying to render a high res image. The render was working fine until I added more detail. At first inventor was exiting with no crash report.

I have tried several of the fixes listed in this thread. The only difference they made was Inventor actually gave me a crash report instead of just exiting.

I have all the latest drivers & inventor updates

This problem is over a year old and there seems to be no good fix for the issue.

Autocad Inventor Suite 2011

Vault Workgroup 2011

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         960  @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. 0813, 5/25/2010
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    18.0 GB

Adapter Type    Quadro FX 3700, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description    NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700
Adapter RAM    512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)

Message 85 of 93
eucci
in reply to: dauer

Its been almost a year and still no fix?!? We've tried all the "solutions" here and the only thing that works is setting the inv process to one core. This is NOT a reasonable fix.  When can we expect a fix that works?  Inventor studio is virtually useless in its current state.

Message 86 of 93
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: eucci

The Studio rendering issue on multi-core CPU's should have been fixed with Inventor 2011 SP1. If that is not the case, please let me know & supply a dataset so that we can do some further testing.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
PDMS Customer Engagment Team
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 87 of 93
dauer

We have service pack 1 installed. We are only able to run renders on 1 core still. It took about 12 hours to run a render an image on 1 core. I can only imagine what an animation would be like. 

I would like to send you  the files. i have already sent a crash report. I informed the developer who emailed me that I need access to the ftp site and have not heard back.

Please help we have a client waiting for renders and the excuse of our software has a bug is not acceptable.

Message 88 of 93
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: dauer

OK - please email me directly & we can get you set up for ftp'ing the data to us.

chrisDOTmitchellATautodeskDOTcom

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 89 of 93
askseddon

I had this same issue and came to the conlcusion that I did not have enough RAM.  I have a dual quad core machine with hyperthreading turned on.  This acts as 16 processors.  You may have problems with less than 2G per core.  I updgraded to 36G (seems a ridiculous amount of RAM though) and everything works well now.

As a general comment Inventor does not seem to use RAM well.  It does not give it up when it has finished with it and the amount the Inventor process uses to render a 3D image seems excessive.

Message 90 of 93
dauer
in reply to: askseddon

We have a single quad core processor with hyper threading and 18gb ram. Our system still crashes.

Message 91 of 93
ChrisMitchell01

All,

Service Pack 2 for Inventor 2011 is now live on the Autodesk Data & Downloads site:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=16976209&linkID=9242019

This should address this Studio rendering issue on multi-core CPU's

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 92 of 93
eucci
in reply to: ChrisMitchell01

We installed the latest service pack and it still crashes on render.

Message 93 of 93
ChrisMitchell01
in reply to: eucci

OK - please email me directly & we can get you set up for ftp'ing the data to us for further testing.

chrisDOTmitchellATautodeskDOTcom

Chris Mitchell
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report